Sixteen year old girl wants first good pair of headphones
Nov 27, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really surprised to see such opinions. I found the DT231 mediocre at best and comfortably behind even a KSC-75. And I tend to like the Beyer sound.

Yea I'm still not sold completly on the comfort aspect, I had them for sale at one point and pulled them down. I don't know what it is I just can't wear them for more then an hour, but I think they sound really good through my Ipod thus why I decided to keep them, but I may still try to sell them at some point.

Also there is a mod to further enhance the sound, basically stick a bunch Blue Tack in the driver housing, I haven't tried it personally and doubt I will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchum View Post
Sennheiser HD-280pros would also be nice. Plus, they fold in for transport.
They're also gigantic. I can't imagine a teenage girl wanting to wear them in public.

Quit true, but I can't say that the Bose are much nicer looking, also they might also scream "Steal Me" if walking around in public. Maybe I'm to paranoid but I try to be a bit stealthy when I'm out and about, hence why I sport the Koss KSC75's, I don't think I have to worry about anyone mugging me wearing those
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I'm still not sold completly on the comfort aspect...

I sport the Koss KSC75's, I don't think I have to worry about anyone mugging me wearing those
biggrin.gif

Hi c0mfortably_numb, by "comfortably behind" I was thinking sound not comfort, though comfort too sounds like a hindrance. Never did the mods either, as the pair I used belonged to a friend.

x2 on the KSC-75's mugging safety factor. Muggers are mire likely to give you their spare change than take your wallet when you're sporting those bad boys. Gotta love 'em.

Nov 27, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #33 of 44
The Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 is a good option. I think it's one of the better-sounding closed portable headphones. It is lightweight and reasonably comfortable. Build and materials quality are very good. I would choose the ESW9 over the ES7.

The Sennheiser HD25-1 is also a good choice. Fitted with velour earpads, it is more comfortable and doesn't heat up the ears as much as the stock pleather pads. I use a shortened HD650 cable with 1/8 plug. This is a case where a replacement cable is almost a necessity. Isolation is better than either the ESW9 or ES7. It would be my choice if the environment is noisy or isolation is a high priority.

Here's a look at the ESW9 and ES7.

ES7ESW9.jpg

Nov 27, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Handsfree phone kits are legal afaik, so i can't see why headphones would be illegal

Handsfree kits aren't usually worn in both ears, though.

I wouldn't drive with headphones on busy roads, even if they were open. Driving with the KSC-75s made me quite uncomfortable.

Nov 27, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #36 of 44
I'd also vote for the HD25 Is, but upon thought, just get her whatever kids these days find fashionable.

It's hard enough being a teenage girl surrounded by pimple-faced, testosterone-charged boys, without having to warrant the further attention of pimple-faced, testosterone-charged geeks.
Please, let her live a normal life.

Nov 27, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Handsfree kits aren't usually worn in both ears, though.

I wouldn't drive with headphones on busy roads, even if they were open. Driving with the KSC-75s made me quite uncomfortable.

Handsfree kits also usually don't have cables that can get tangled up amongst other things inside the car.

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #38 of 44
i have two things to say. the first

+1 for the Denon D1000s they were suprisingly small (i have AT A700) and they sounded very similar( which is a good thing) and they blocked the movie that was playing behind me as well as any headphone ive ever heard.

the second. this has to be the fastest replying and most viewed "help me find headphones" thread ever.... i wonder if the title has something to do with it???

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by cin__server /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the second. this has to be the fastest replying and most viewed "help me find headphones" thread ever.... i wonder if the title has something to do with it???

Nah its only you. Heh what do you mean by that?

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

only me??? so far it has been 38 responses and over a thousand views. in about 16 hours. thats roughly 75 views an hour. for 16 hours. thats pretty good

Yep not bad, but I'm sure its not because of the title. I just wish someone would reply to my equalizer for 990pro thread
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by haoqfu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not Etymotic ER6I, it is designed for ipod, and it is really easily to be driven with a low impedance. and it has best noise isolation (at least in my situation). give it a shot, it's only $70 on ebay.

IMHO er6i with iPod is a dreadful relationship, the former being bass-weak IEMs and the latter bass-weak DAP. If not rockboxed, even the EQ can't save it. And in my case travelling to and from work is already too weary to carry an amp which could be the only remedy (menage-a-trois?).

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

this has to be the fastest replying and most viewed "help me find headphones" thread ever.... i wonder if the title has something to do with it???

Yes I can't resist a good title, but it's accurate.

I appreciate all the responses. I think I need to have a father daughter talk about headphones. It may lessen the surprise, but it will allow me to find out what she thinks. Now that I've done a bit of research I might just get her smaller closed phones.

It's becoming cool for kids to wear big headphones in public. Beyond the DJ thing, I think it might be part of showing that a kid is into music and not just listening to an ipod on the way to school, it also differentiates them from kids who think music is just cool background noise.

Also, she does not drive, loves kangaroos.

I am giving the decision a lot of weight because I am always telling her how much more music and life there is in her recordings - and the only way to get to it is through better gear (like mine). So there is some extra challenge associated with my choice.

I'm in Brooklyn, so I have access to store, but can you sample headphones at J&R or B&H - or Singer?

Otherwise off to HeadRoom.

Gregg

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #44 of 44
I vote AKG k81dj. and if you want the headphone to look good, then look into the AKG k518dj (they are same as teh k81dj, but with an all black finishing.) It's a bit uncomfortable, but these velour pads should make it nice and comfy

these are rugged, well-built headphone, with a bit of mod it could sound awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back