Singxer SU-1 Owners
Jan 14, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #649 of 869
if i have the chance to get the singxer su-1 at US$250, should i get it?
or the competitors like matrix x-spdif 2/singxer su-6 are much much much much better thats worth the price?
The smart money seems to be going on the Gustard U16 DDC (about $300). ESS are being coy about the chip used in it - claiming it’s really meant for a home cinema sound-bar application, but early adopters seem to think it blows even a heavily modified SU-1 out of the water. I’m going by what I’d read by the way and have no experience of Gustard products (although the U12 was very popular a couple of years ago).

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #651 of 869
Jan 14, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #653 of 869
Jan 14, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #655 of 869
Can anyone please explain to me what's so special about SU-1? I've seen that many people use it but is there a particular reason for that, price aside? Thanks!

Depends on your DAC. If your DAC has a great USB implementation like Chord or Schiit, then it has no real value. If your DAC's best interface is AES, i2S, or coax, then you need an something like an SU-1 to convert USB. After that, the rest is pretty subjective on the value of noise reduction and clock jitter.

In my case, the i2S input on my Holo Spring DAC is the cleanest option so I have an SU-1 so I can use it. Another cool benefit is that every digital output on the SU-1 works simultaneously so you can hook up multiple DACs to a single USB source if you want.

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #656 of 869
The smart money seems to be going on the Gustard U16 DDC (about $300). ESS are being coy about the chip used in it - claiming it’s really meant for a home cinema sound-bar application, but early adopters seem to think it blows even a heavily modified SU-1 out of the water. I’m going by what I’d read by the way and have no experience of Gustard products (although the U12 was very popular a couple of years ago).

They are all saying the U16 is smoother than the SU-1.

One owner who has a modded SU-1 with a LPS said his was still wider, more airy & detailed than the stock U16, so the opinion on it being better is definitely not unanimous.

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #657 of 869
Jan 15, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #658 of 869
The thing is that, (and maybe this all depends on your mains power quality), if you replace the SU-1 with the U16 (and like the results) you free-up the LPS 1.2 and can also sell the SU-1....

Is this because U16 internal power supply is as good as LPS such that adding latter produces no benefit?

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #659 of 869
It’s because the U16, unmodded, receives AC power only (in has AD-DC power conversion on board).
Maybe there will be modified versions soon which allow use of an external LPS, but I read that it already uses a good voltage regulator in its onboard power supply.

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #660 of 869
It’s because the U16, unmodded, receives AC power only (in has AD-DC power conversion on board).
Maybe there will be modified versions soon which allow use of an external LPS, but I read that it already uses a good voltage regulator in its onboard power supply.

Thanks for clarifying. I will stay tuned for U16 reviews but staying with my SU-1 for now. It's always tempting to jump at a potential upgrade but I'm trying to remain in an "enjoy the music" phase for now. :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back