Side By Side Comparison - AirPods Max, B&O H95, Dali iO-6, B&W PX8, ML 5909, M&D MW75, Focal Bathys and more
Jun 21, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #271 of 464
Ok, so I got the Bathys for $600 shipped from crutchfield (used a little credit to knock $30 off the 20% off deal)

Lucky you, that's a really good price for these cans :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 25, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #272 of 464
Just ordered the B&W PX7 S2 as they are on sale for $499AUD. Coming from Sony WHxm3.

Jul 1, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #274 of 464
Nice thread! Any reason you stay away from Bose? I have tested (and owned) a shutload of ANC wireless headphones but I keep using most my 7 or so years old Bose QC 35 MK1 ... they are super comfortable, sound just how I like them AND they have the best multipoint management out of all my headphones, which do include the Airpods Max! Those behave awkward on occasion with several macs and iphones and iPads around, not so the QC35. Also a big fan of the XM4, but those turn into ear saunas for me after a while. I also cherrish a few older models, like the very first Parrot Zik. Or my old wired Beats Studio SE in honey yellow :)
I had those Jabra 85h for a hot minute, bought used and returned because one side started failing ... i might try to get those again, they were nice.

Basically I am buying a lot of 2016/17 models used, back then they were way out of my price range :D Like the first B&W .. they are still pretty awesome.

Yes, I am a hoarder :D

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #275 of 464
Nice thread! Any reason you stay away from Bose? I have tested (and owned) a shutload of ANC wireless headphones but I keep using most my 7 or so years old Bose QC 35 MK1 ... they are super comfortable, sound just how I like them AND they have the best multipoint management out of all my headphones, which do include the Airpods Max! Those behave awkward on occasion with several macs and iphones and iPads around, not so the QC35. Also a big fan of the XM4, but those turn into ear saunas for me after a while. I also cherrish a few older models, like the very first Parrot Zik. Or my old wired Beats Studio SE in honey yellow :)
I had those Jabra 85h for a hot minute, bought used and returned because one side started failing ... i might try to get those again, they were nice.

Basically I am buying a lot of 2016/17 models used, back then they were way out of my price range :D Like the first B&W .. they are still pretty awesome.

Yes, I am a hoarder :D
I actually love Bose. I have the Bose QC45 I carry around in my smaller backpack. It's up there with the AirPods Max and Sony 1000 series for best ANC. It's number 1 when it comes to comfort, and I personally prefer it's more closer to neutral sound quality over the 1000XM5. I just find the Bose QC45's sound more versatile. Works better in my opinion for movies and games. I didn't add the Bose QC45 to my comparison because I just didn't get the feeling that people wanted it; you're the first I've seen even mention it. In summary though, it and my AirPods Max are my favorite travel headphones.

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #276 of 464
I actually love Bose. I have the Bose QC45 I carry around in my smaller backpack. It's up there with the AirPods Max and Sony 1000 series for best ANC. It's number 1 when it comes to comfort, and I personally prefer it's more closer to neutral sound quality over the 1000XM5. I just find the Bose QC45's sound more versatile. Works better in my opinion for movies and games. I didn't add the Bose QC45 to my comparison because I just didn't get the feeling that people wanted it; you're the first I've seen even mention it. In summary though, it and my AirPods Max are my favorite travel headphones.
While I love the AirPods Max for many of their qualities, I find them quite uncomfortable after 1h ….

Jul 10, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #277 of 464

Nice post! Is good seeing some good opinions, even about sound, about a Bose headphone. Today I think still that the more old QC35 II is a great ANC headphone, probably the very more comfortable BT/ANC headphone I trying in my life. Unfortunately, for me, the artificial leather earpads making my ears hot and sweating soon, but not so soon like the Sony XM3 and XM4.

Jul 10, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #278 of 464
Nice post! Is good seeing some good opinions, even about sound, about a Bose headphone. Today I think still that the more old QC35 II is a great ANC headphone, probably the very more comfortable BT/ANC headphone I trying in my life. Unfortunately, for me, the artificial leather earpads making my ears hot and sweating soon, but not so soon like the Sony XM3 and XM4.
Thanks angelom!

Jul 11, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #279 of 464
I just picked up the Airpods Max the other week in anticipation of an international work trip this week.

In terms of comfort it's up there with the most comfortable headphones I've used. Especially appreciate the deep ear cups.

I've worn these for many hours uninterrupted on a long intercontinental flight and never found them uncomfortable. I did once stretch the headband a bit to make them slightly less tight.

Sound quality is great, and ANC is excellent, competitive with Sony. If you're in the Apple ecosystem, it should be at the top of your list.

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #280 of 464
I just picked up the Airpods Max the other week in anticipation of an international work trip this week.

In terms of comfort it's up there with the most comfortable headphones I've used. Especially appreciate the deep ear cups.

I've worn these for many hours uninterrupted on a long intercontinental flight and never found them uncomfortable. I did once stretch the headband a bit to make them slightly less tight.

Sound quality is great, and ANC is excellent, competitive with Sony. If you're in the Apple ecosystem, it should be at the top of your list.
Glad you're enjoying them so far. It's still an amazing headphone if you're in the Apple ecosystem. Yesterday I was at the grocery store with them and still grin every time I get a text message and the headphone reads it to me. Just so convenient. The most convenient headphone I own. Still my personal number one movie and travel headphone.

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #281 of 464
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the website here so hopefully I'm doing this right.

I've been looking at over ear ANC headphones for the last 8 months and have tried so many different ones. And every one has one problem or another. The bowers Px7 s2 and PX8 are comfortable enough, but the ear cups are a bit small. They are deep enough though which I've found matters much more for me. So I guess long story short, I just tried the Bathys and loved the sound (it got me in all my emotions) but my left ear touches the foam lip they added for whatever reason I need maybe a mm or two to have it be the most comfy of them all.

With that, I'm now looking at the Dali IO-6 again and was hoping to find out if maybe the ear cups were a little deeper even just by a bit than the Bathys, if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated. I'm at whits end trying to find a pair of headphones to replace my Sennheiser hd4.50btnc with replacement pads, and I don't think wireless iems are an option since I'm using these for gaming as well. Thank you anyone who reads this and especially anyone who can help.

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #282 of 464
So last time I tried the Bathys they just didn't have much thump to them. The sound great otherwise but I like more bass in my headset. Has any software changes or can any software change add or adjust the bass?

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #283 of 464
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the website here so hopefully I'm doing this right.

I've been looking at over ear ANC headphones for the last 8 months and have tried so many different ones. And every one has one problem or another. The bowers Px7 s2 and PX8 are comfortable enough, but the ear cups are a bit small. They are deep enough though which I've found matters much more for me. So I guess long story short, I just tried the Bathys and loved the sound (it got me in all my emotions) but my left ear touches the foam lip they added for whatever reason I need maybe a mm or two to have it be the most comfy of them all.

With that, I'm now looking at the Dali IO-6 again and was hoping to find out if maybe the ear cups were a little deeper even just by a bit than the Bathys, if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated. I'm at whits end trying to find a pair of headphones to replace my Sennheiser hd4.50btnc with replacement pads, and I don't think wireless iems are an option since I'm using these for gaming as well. Thank you anyone who reads this and especially anyone who can help.
I have tried the Sony XM5, Mark Levinson 5909 and Focal Bathys. I ended up returning the XM5 and the Bathys. I also have Audeze Maxwell for gaming. I have since shifted my focus more to wired headphones and IEMs because the ML 5909 is so excellent for wireless needs. If you're OK to spend $1000, I think it is a winner on sound quality and will resolve your comfort issues. I havent tried any B&W or Dali headphones.

I'm keeping the Mark Levinson 5909 because in my opinion, it outperforms the Bathys in all facets except max volume, but I also have the qudelix 5k dac/amp that bring the 5909 to life in a pinch. I was going to keep the Bathys as well, but found that I never chose it over the 5909. The biggest complaint for me was that the Bathys fit is too small and the ML 5909 has much more earspace, and to me, sounds and feels better across the board but YMMV. The 5909 also comes with a nice set of cables and a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adaptor.

Hope this helps. I'm pretty new to the game as well, so not what you'd call an expert but I've put in a lot of time testing out the 4 pairs I mentioned.

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #284 of 464

There are only a few headphones that have large and deep earcup openings. Most are on the smaller side.

The Mark Levinson 5909 is on the larger side of many of the models mentioned in this thread. The Airpods Max are also on the larger side. The Bose headphones are also on the larger side. There's also the KEF Mu7 which is again fairly large and deep. And there is also the B&W PX7 Carbon (not the S2), which had decent size earcups.

I have tested a ton of these ANC headphones for comfort as I have big ears and hate it when my ears touch the inside of the cups. And having good effective ANC is very important to me. I currently own the PX7 Carbon and those are quite comfortable, though the ANC is just average - it does give me weird battery issues where the battery will drain even when it's not switched on.

And then I recently picked up the Airpods Max which has nice big and deep earcups with excellent ANC. Very comfortable headphones to wear for extended periods. It's only really an option if you have an iPhone/iPad/Macbook though. Then it works beautifully.

Jul 15, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #285 of 464
Glad you're enjoying them so far. It's still an amazing headphone if you're in the Apple ecosystem. Yesterday I was at the grocery store with them and still grin every time I get a text message and the headphone reads it to me. Just so convenient. The most convenient headphone I own. Still my personal number one movie and travel headphone.
your mention of how nice it is to have the Airpods max read texts made me think of a JBL live NC660 i use. It is a nice backup and can be eqed through it's native app to sound much better than it's default tuning. I like it for running errands around town and as a backup pair. it has solid ANC and transparency, and reads my texts, calendar events, smart home notifications etc. Such a nice feature in Headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back