Side By Side Comparison - AirPods Max, B&O H95, Dali iO-6, B&W PX8, ML 5909, M&D MW75, Focal Bathys and more
Jun 13, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #256 of 477
I have had experience. I originally had the PX7 on this list but removed it after the PX7 S2 was released. The PX7 S2 and PX8 are pretty much an improvement in every way. When it comes to sound, both the PX7 S2 and PX8 still have that darker, big, live concert type of sound, they just do it cleaner so you don't have as many inconsistencies. The only way I can see you preferring the PX7 to the 2 newer headphones is if you prefer the kind of concert hall type tuning that is unique to the PX7. It gives the sound this really bassy, dark, spacious feel. Other than that, the 2 newer headphones are technically more accurate.
Thank you for your response — I went to a couple more stores today without finding an S2 or 8; however, I did get my ears on a pair of the AirPods Max.

I noticed they had significantly less mid-bass emphasis and more sub-bass, maybe more upper treble emphasis, and they sounded pretty spacious. I noticed that stringed instruments sounded a bit more buzzy on them them — maybe thin in comparison to the PX7 but also much less sculpted which at times worked. Overall the sound to my untrained ear wasn’t as organic as the bowers I’m used to. Would this align with your thoughts on the two?

After getting home, I looked at the frequency response for the PX7 and noticed a bit of roll-off in the lower sub bass. It appears as though the S2 has boosted this rather than rolling off. I also notice on the response a significant increase to the lower treble region in comparison to the original PX7. Are these changes audible?

I noticed the momentum 4 has a hefty sub bass emphasis without as much mid-bass, but it looks as though noise cancellation can’t be turned off which is would be frustrating for me listening in quiet environments.

Jun 13, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #257 of 477
After getting home, I looked at the frequency response for the PX7 and noticed a bit of roll-off in the lower sub bass. It appears as though the S2 has boosted this rather than rolling off. I also notice on the response a significant increase to the lower treble region in comparison to the original PX7. Are these changes audible?

I noticed the momentum 4 has a hefty sub bass emphasis without as much mid-bass, but it looks as though noise cancellation can’t be turned off which is would be frustrating for me listening in quiet environments.
APM sound artificial to many people. I have no idea why but they've always sounded the opposite of organic to me, and a tad lifeless. Hard to say exactly what in the FR causes that, it's likely a complex factor, but the S2/PX8 sound far more agreeable to me. As does Momentum 4. APM hold their own in electronic music imo because technically they are good, but anything where a decent timbre and sense of 'organic quality' such as voices, strings and so on, they lose out to almost every competitor imo.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #259 of 477
For those that don't know, Crutchfield, et al have Focal headphones 20% off right now including the Bathys
Damn..i'm thinking of giving the bathys a shot at this price. Though if I do and like them, I may sell my MW75. I've got other gear I am going to get rid of as well I'm thinking.

Jun 14, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #260 of 477
i might pick up the Bathys, but the pS version of the maxwell is back in stock on Amazon US site, so going to try those out.

Jun 15, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #262 of 477
APM sound artificial to many people. I have no idea why but they've always sounded the opposite of organic to me, and a tad lifeless. Hard to say exactly what in the FR causes that, it's likely a complex factor, but the S2/PX8 sound far more agreeable to me. As does Momentum 4. APM hold their own in electronic music imo because technically they are good, but anything where a decent timbre and sense of 'organic quality' such as voices, strings and so on, they lose out to almost every competitor imo.
I have the APM and the PX8. APMs are great for Apple TV, as I think Apple's implementation of spatial audio is great for movies and TV shows. However agree with mainguy that they sound artificial with music and, to my ears, strangely lifeless. The PX8s are simply in another league with music, whether Apple based AAC or, even better, via Aptx-HD.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #263 of 477
The Audeze maxwell just arrived, 6 days early. I don't even have an email with the adjusted shipping date, so totally unexpected. Will post initial impressions later tonight or tomorrow.

Jun 18, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #264 of 477
The Audeze maxwell just arrived, 6 days early. I don't even have an email with the adjusted shipping date, so totally unexpected. Will post initial impressions later tonight or tomorrow.

Enjoy and please keep us gamers updated, thanks! :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 18, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #265 of 477
Enjoy and please keep us gamers updated, thanks! :)
Will do. I've emailed Audeze but being the weekend they likely haven't seen it yet, but it appears I may have a deffective unit. They charge but won't power up. As for the look and build, it's unmistakably Audeze. pictures show that yes, but holding the headphones just hammers that home. Great build quality and in the brief moments I've worn them while trying to get them powered up, very comfortable.

Jun 20, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #266 of 477
Well, turns out the Maxwell wasn't DOA, but a classic case of user error. A little context, I got a reply from audeze, asking me to send the serial number etc. I am totally blind, so while holding my phone up to the Headphones to see what text it could detect, hoping it would read a serial number back, my Finger found a button on the bottom left earcup below the mic switch that I hadn't noticed previously. When I read the following from the Audeze Maxwell User Guide: "Power on your Maxwell by holding down the power button on the front cup for 3 seconds", I quickly found what turned out to be the noise suppression button on the front edge of the left earcup and tried to power the headphones up by pressing it in different ways. holding down for 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 etc. i laughed about it, but felt a little embarrassed i'd missed something so obvious. oh well.
My initial impressions are that the Maxwell has a nicely organized soundstage. it is very well tuned, and though I've only been listening for most of 1 day, I'm impressed. I'm going to use these while watching movies, and while listening to game audio while a Friend plays different games. i'll try and get impressions while the maxwell is paired to a Switch, as well as a PS5.

Jun 20, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #267 of 477
Well, turns out the Maxwell wasn't DOA, but a classic case of user error. A little context, I got a reply from audeze, asking me to send the serial number etc. I am totally blind, so while holding my phone up to the Headphones to see what text it could detect, hoping it would read a serial number back, my Finger found a button on the bottom left earcup below the mic switch that I hadn't noticed previously. When I read the following from the Audeze Maxwell User Guide: "Power on your Maxwell by holding down the power button on the front cup for 3 seconds", I quickly found what turned out to be the noise suppression button on the front edge of the left earcup and tried to power the headphones up by pressing it in different ways. holding down for 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 etc. i laughed about it, but felt a little embarrassed i'd missed something so obvious. oh well.

Live and learn :D

On the upside, your cans work fine, which is the ideal scenario considering that your unit looked like a DOA case at first :)

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 20, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #268 of 477
I have the APM and the PX8. APMs are great for Apple TV, as I think Apple's implementation of spatial audio is great for movies and TV shows. However agree with mainguy that they sound artificial with music and, to my ears, strangely lifeless. The PX8s are simply in another league with music, whether Apple based AAC or, even better, via Aptx-HD.
What puzzles me is that the APP 2 don’t (to my ears) have that digital sound that the APM have. Maybe it is a result of Apple trying to make the APM sound more airy or spacious. Either way, I suspect with the competition the second version will sonically improve by a large margin.

Jun 20, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #269 of 477
@Maukey I have an update on both the Focal Bathys and Audeze Maxwell for ps5. I also still have the ML 5909 and I ended up returning the Sony XM5.

Focal Bathys - I definitely understand when people say they are louder than ML 5909. It's true. I love hip hop on the Bathys in comparison to ML 5909. I tested the Bathys on a couple 5 hour flights, and they more than did the job. Couldn't hear anything except my music, and that was without turning the volume much louder than normal. ANC is excellent. The cups are comfortable and I had no issue wearing them all day while traveling. I'm new to high end headphones, but to me the ML 5909 and Bathys are different enough that I think I'll keep both. They offer different sounds and have their own strengths. The 5909 are so clear and precise, it was truly an experience the first time I tried them. The Bathys are fun and offer a nice change of pace to the ML 5909 and satisfy my traveling needs as well. I would recommend the Bathys to anyone on the fence, especially if they are still on sale.

Audeze Maxwell - I'm glad at some point I realized these are pronounced Odyssey. Anyway, great recommendation from Maukey. I have the ps5 version, and they are phenomenal. My games sound the way they should, and it adds a ton to the experience. I tested them with some music as well, and I understand when you say they are underrated. Maybe not quite as high quality as 5909 and Bathys, but it gives a sort of 360 home theater feel that was full and satisfying. They are certainly much better than the XM5 for sound quality. The Maxwells are huge, almost comically, but they are comfortable and have a mic you can remove when not in use. These are a major upgrade from my $15 earbuds I had been using for years. Going bluetooth for gaming alone is already worth it. I might be late to the premium headphone party, but I sure picked the right time to dive in.

Jun 21, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #270 of 477
Ok, so I got the Bathys for $600 shipped from crutchfield (used a little credit to knock $30 off the 20% off deal) and ... W. T. F?! The Bathys are stunning! If one doesn't like the Bathys for $600, $800, or even at $1000 then I have no idea what you want, but for $600, OMG what a steal!

I have a long equip test list that I stream over Tidal to test all the new audio equip I get (not very much really, but enough) and I literally couldn't find a track the Bathys didn't knock out of the park:
  1. Transparent mode in a fairly quiet room, some air purifier background noise
  2. No EQ, including "dynamic" which I honestly didn't like AT ALL so I'm super glad they didn't tune the Bathys to the harman curve
  3. Pixel 7 Pro via AptX
  4. I have a big head, so the clamp is def there
  5. These are right out of the box, so not broken in (which IME is a thing)
I'm not comparing to the 5909 or T+A as I haven't heard those and probably won't for a few months as I want to savor the Bathys and I have the B&W P7 wireless which I understand is similar to the PX8 which, for me, means great for video/movies/podcasts but no music as much as others.

I started my audiophile wireless journey WAY back 15? years ago with the PSB M4U2 which sounded better than just about anything at the time and had very minor ANC. I upgraded to the P7s and have pretty much used those since even though they don't have ANC since, when I need that, I've used Sonys, most recently the WF & WH XM4s.

For home setup I listen to my ZMF Eikons & Atticus out of various amps & dacs, nothing summit-fi, and the Eikons are nearly my perfect tuning if that helps anyone gauge my point of view; i.e., great sub-bass, punchy controlled bass, great vocals, nice sense of air (which BTW, for me, the "dynamic" Bathys EQ settings destroys).

If I had to have any niggle about the Bathys sound it would be that it does favor vocals in the mix more than other HPs I use so on some tracks ... so let's talk
SOUND

• Swimmers - Zero 7 Jem Cooke: The Bathys de.liv.er the electronic bass on this track and perfectly balance in the vocals, wow
  • Program - DJ Krush: another wow, with the Bathys bringing in the sub-bass; definitely not the biggest out there, but I can't see anyone complaining
  • C'est si bon - Emilie-Claire Barlow: this is great example of the Bathys' cabaret tuning where you feel like you're sitting in front row and the vocalist if right there with the band behind
  • Angry Eyes - Loggins & Messina: great 70s track with bass guitar and real drums & cymbals, listen @ 0:43 where the Bathys are great
  • This Feeling - Miquel Migs: great Deep House track that's the flip side to the drums in L&M, with tons of electronic percussion, cymbals that can get lost, lots of vocals, etc that the Bathys nail
  • Elements, Orchestral Version - Lindsey Sterling: it sounds really good, but I will say this is track where, say, the ZMF Eikon can bring tears to your eyes, but not so here so I'll be interested to test this one on the cable (I'll be using an AQ carbon c>c)
  • Dry Country - B52s: Historically, IME, this is tough one for headphones with the drums; e.g., on the Dan Clark Aeons there aren't any and I suspect the 5909 may have trouble with this one too, but that's to be confirmed. In any event, the Bathys kill it in that oh-crap-i'm-supposed-to-be-analyzing way.
  • Wabash Blues - Duke Ellington, Johnny Hodges: The minute the horns started up I just started laughing out loud the Bathys are so great here
  • Barley - Lizz Wright: no headphones should escape being tested by this track due to the big enormous drum with TONS of sub-bass, and it's a big pass for the Bathys. Again, though, with that cabaret tuning: the vocalist is right in front of you and the band behind them.
  • Bad Guy - Billie Eilish: this is classic equip tester due to the insane bass and this is one track I'd say there's room for improvement as I hear some bleed though, again, I'll have to do some more listening on my ZMFs to see if I'm hearing what thing. with that, DAMN do these Bathys deliver DAT BASS
  • On & On - Erykah Badu: this track trips up so many systems; either they can't handle the bass or the knocky thing is ear splitting or the vocals disappear but the Bathys handled everything great
COMFORT
I have a big head, as in let out the ball cap almost all the way out, so these have some clamp, but in a firm & comfortable way so not bad, but you do feel it. The good news there is with many over-ear headphones I have trouble fitting the right ear as there's usually a gap by my jaw but not so with the Bathys so I'll take it!​
They're not uncomfortable over time and I can easily wear these for hours with no hot spots but they do get a little warm. As for weight, you do feel it a bit, but compared to my ZMFs these are tiny little bottle caps so I'm biased there I suppose. They're not as super light as the XM4s but honestly I don't really care about that so I'm fine with the size and weight and I'd wear them anywhere.​
TRAVEL EASE / PORTABILITY
I travel a bit by car & air and have a fairly good packing setup, usually being a 40L carry-on backpack and a 26L shoulder bag that's also my 'personal item' bag for flights. In there I usually carry all my in-flight stuff including the Sony XM/F4s which are my go-tos for flights (sometimes I'll wear both!).​
Anyway, I was expecting the Bathys case to be big, but it's not, and not much larger than the XM4 case so while it's never good to add more stuff to the underseat bag, given the capabilities of the Bathys they'll easily get space in the bag along with the XM4s.​
In short I'd say the Bathys are easily on the 'portable' side of the portable/transportable spectrum​
APP
It's a very cool looking app (on Android), but also very basic. That said, it does what it needs to do and while I might like to see a 10-band EQ I honestly wouldn't use it so I'd say the app does everything I need it too. It'd be super cool if it could connect to and front-end Tidal, et al, but that's dreaming.​
TLDR
The Baths are a big no-brainer buy for audiophiles & extremely close to no compromises to my ear.​
And I haven't even done the burn-in or connected in DAC mode​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back