Side By Side Comparison - AirPods Max, B&O H95, Dali iO-6, B&W PX8, ML 5909, M&D MW75, Focal Bathys and more
Jun 4, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #226 of 497
Maukey, excellent thread. I've been using this as a reference point since I'm new to premium headphones, but man did I pick a good time to start. I'm listening to so much music, it felt natural to finally invest in nicer gear. I created an account so I could ask you some questions, if you have time to get to them.

I am green, so I won't pretend I know any technicals. Got the Sony XM5 a couple weeks ago and they were far above the sound quality of any cheaper earbuds I ever had. I kept reading about the more premium models, and was fascinated by the ML 5909, which I received on Wednesday and absolutely love. I still have both and the 5909 are amazing. They'll definitely be staying to start my collection. The XM5 are really solid but pale in comparison in SQ and to me, comfort. The 5909 fits me perfectly, the headband barely presses down on my head, and my ears don't get hot. The XM5 can slide around a little, although it may be my slouching.

I'm thinking of either returning the XM5 and picking up another premium pair to complement the 5909, or keeping the XM5 and getting a 3rd pair strictly for SQ to complement the 5909. When I fly, it's typically longer trips, so the XM5 does have value there with the superior ANC, and the sound quality is by no means bad. It's actually quite clear and they definitely get louder than the 5909. I also found a nice setting for EQ that greatly improved my experience.

I know you returned the 5909 in favor of the Bathys, and you also enjoy the Px8. The MW75 are also intriguing, especially because the silver and blue model is one of the best looking headphones, in my opinion.

Two scenarios: if I kept the 5909 and the XM5, which of Bathys, Px8, and MW75 would be the best complement in your opinion? Sound quality and comfort matter more than ANC or traveling in this scenario.

Alternately, if I return the XM5 and keep the 5909, what would you pair with the 5909? Between Bathys, Px8, and MW75, which would best complement the 5909 in terms of bringing a different high quality sound while also having effective ANC on planes? I haven't ruled out traveling with the 5909, but would prefer to travel with something else.

I'm leaning toward trying out the Bathys, but really interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I'll have a few more questions, because I'm fully obsessed with this hobby now!

Jun 4, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #227 of 497
Maukey, excellent thread. I've been using this as a reference point since I'm new to premium headphones, but man did I pick a good time to start. I'm listening to so much music, it felt natural to finally invest in nicer gear. I created an account so I could ask you some questions, if you have time to get to them.

I am green, so I won't pretend I know any technicals. Got the Sony XM5 a couple weeks ago and they were far above the sound quality of any cheaper earbuds I ever had. I kept reading about the more premium models, and was fascinated by the ML 5909, which I received on Wednesday and absolutely love. I still have both and the 5909 are amazing. They'll definitely be staying to start my collection. The XM5 are really solid but pale in comparison in SQ and to me, comfort. The 5909 fits me perfectly, the headband barely presses down on my head, and my ears don't get hot. The XM5 can slide around a little, although it may be my slouching.

I'm thinking of either returning the XM5 and picking up another premium pair to complement the 5909, or keeping the XM5 and getting a 3rd pair strictly for SQ to complement the 5909. When I fly, it's typically longer trips, so the XM5 does have value there with the superior ANC, and the sound quality is by no means bad. It's actually quite clear and they definitely get louder than the 5909. I also found a nice setting for EQ that greatly improved my experience.

I know you returned the 5909 in favor of the Bathys, and you also enjoy the Px8. The MW75 are also intriguing, especially because the silver and blue model is one of the best looking headphones, in my opinion.

Two scenarios: if I kept the 5909 and the XM5, which of Bathys, Px8, and MW75 would be the best complement in your opinion? Sound quality and comfort matter more than ANC or traveling in this scenario.

Alternately, if I return the XM5 and keep the 5909, what would you pair with the 5909? Between Bathys, Px8, and MW75, which would best complement the 5909 in terms of bringing a different high quality sound while also having effective ANC on planes? I haven't ruled out traveling with the 5909, but would prefer to travel with something else.

I'm leaning toward trying out the Bathys, but really interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I'll have a few more questions, because I'm fully obsessed with this hobby now!
In your situation where comfort and sound quality are most important, for Scenario 1 (Keeping 5909 and XM5), I'd add the Bathys. The MW75 is too similar to the 5909 when it comes to sound quality in my opinion. Yes it's not tuned the same being a louder, more dynamic/fun headphone (the 5909 blows the MW75 away technically), but the tonality between the two is too similar to my ears. I'm one who likes a variety of sound signatures, the Bathys are a good middle ground between the analytical sound of the 5909 and the warmer/darker bassy sound of the XM5. My only concern would be rather they're comfortable for you or not. As someone who considers the XM5 one of the more comfortable headphones, it's obvious headphones affect you different from me. I don't deal with hot ear issues and I have somewhat small ears. The Bathys gives more room in the ear cup but I've seen some complain about jaw pressure and stability.

For scenario 2 (Returning the XM5), I'd pick up the PX8 no question. It's the much better portable option for travel when compared to the Bathys and MW75. It's a fun sound as well, it just does it different and in a less traditional manner than the MW75. It's more upper bass and lower mids driven where the MW75 focuses more on the treble and the entire bass spectrum.

Hope this helps. Just remember, we're all different and we all hear differently. The best thing you can do if possible is to try them all out. If you're able to purchase from somewhere with a good return policy, that would be ideal.

Jun 4, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #228 of 497
In your situation where comfort and sound quality are most important, for Scenario 1 (Keeping 5909 and XM5), I'd add the Bathys. The MW75 is too similar to the 5909 when it comes to sound quality in my opinion. Yes it's not tuned the same being a louder, more dynamic/fun headphone (the 5909 blows the MW75 away technically), but the tonality between the two is too similar to my ears. I'm one who likes a variety of sound signatures, the Bathys are a good middle ground between the analytical sound of the 5909 and the warmer/darker bassy sound of the XM5. My only concern would be rather they're comfortable for you or not. As someone who considers the XM5 one of the more comfortable headphones, it's obvious headphones affect you different from me. I don't deal with hot ear issues and I have somewhat small ears. The Bathys gives more room in the ear cup but I've seen some complain about jaw pressure and stability.

For scenario 2 (Returning the XM5), I'd pick up the PX8 no question. It's the much better portable option for travel when compared to the Bathys and MW75. It's a fun sound as well, it just does it different and in a less traditional manner than the MW75. It's more upper bass and lower mids driven where the MW75 focuses more on the treble and the entire bass spectrum.

Hope this helps. Just remember, we're all different and we all hear differently. The best thing you can do if possible is to try them all out. If you're able to purchase from somewhere with a good return policy, that would be ideal.
Thanks for the feedback. This does help to get your thoughts since you've tried them all side by side, and helps to see your answers in relation to 5909 specifically. The XM5 are definitely comfortable when I'm sitting up/standing, I just find the 5909 to fit my head perfectly. I think I'll try the Bathys this week since i have a couple weeks to return the XM5. I also have an upcoming flight, so it'll be the perfect time to test a pair for ANC. Cheers!

Jun 4, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #229 of 497
Thanks for the feedback. This does help to get your thoughts since you've tried them all side by side, and helps to see your answers in relation to 5909 specifically. The XM5 are definitely comfortable when I'm sitting up/standing, I just find the 5909 to fit my head perfectly. I think I'll try the Bathys this week since i have a couple weeks to return the XM5. I also have an upcoming flight, so it'll be the perfect time to test a pair for ANC. Cheers!
@BiggieSmalls, welcome to the hobby/adiction.
For your second scenario, i'd also get the PX8. In my experience, it has the best ANC of all these headphones except for the XM5.
I don't have large ears either, but I find the PX8 more comfortable than the MW75. Both are fine for me but PX8 wins out in comfort and ANC in my book.

Jun 4, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #230 of 497
For your second scenario, i'd also get the PX8. In my experience, it has the best ANC of all these headphones except for the XM5.
I don't have large ears either, but I find the PX8 more comfortable than the MW75. Both are fine for me but PX8 wins out in comfort and ANC in my book.
Having owned Bathys, MW75 and PX8 I think a big consideration as well is cup size. The Bathys and MW75 really do stick out and feel a bit out of sorts for me in public, I know some people don't care about that, but worth considering.

The Bathys have the most audiophile/correct sound of the three, depending on how you see things. But with the 5909 he may already have that covered, so the bowers might be more of a XM5 replacement.

Jun 4, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #231 of 497
Having owned Bathys, MW75 and PX8 I think a big consideration as well is cup size. The Bathys and MW75 really do stick out and feel a bit out of sorts for me in public, I know some people don't care about that, but worth considering.

The Bathys have the most audiophile/correct sound of the three, depending on how you see things. But with the 5909 he may already have that covered, so the bowers might be more of a XM5 replacement.
yeah that is what i based my response off of. The 5909 covering more of the audio side of things and the PX8 being more ANC focused as a potential XM5 replacement.

Jun 4, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #232 of 497
Thanks for the welcome. I listen to a ton of music and game a lot, so it was about time to get serious with headphones. Can't wait to check out the Bathys. I'm also curious about the PX8 since a lot of you speak highly of them.

Which cans do you have in your current collection? (anyone feel free to jump on here, I'm interested in all opinions on all different pairs)

Jun 4, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #233 of 497
Thanks for the welcome. I listen to a ton of music and game a lot, so it was about time to get serious with headphones. Can't wait to check out the Bathys. I'm also curious about the PX8 since a lot of you speak highly of them.

Which cans do you have in your current collection? (anyone feel free to jump on here, I'm interested in all opinions on all different pairs)
Atm wireless cans I've got Momentum 4, PX8 and MW65. The latter are similar to the MW75, but have a much more compact form, but lesser detail and imaging than the newer model. Not a huge amount in it really.

I think the Momentum 4 are the best value of the lot, bassy but also technically solid compared to the competition. The PX8 are the most 'fun' bt can I've tried, with a great, and big bass, but also a lush midrange that is divine for vocals. The MW65 are clear and pretty down the middle tuning, with a nice punch. But they have lesser imaging and noticable sibilance. I noticed sibilance in the MW75 too.

Full size I mostly have Focals, Utopia, Elex, Clear. But I tend to prefer a more fun signature for on the go. The bathys to me are the ideal cover all bases headphone, but as someone with full sized cans at the desk I wanted a diff signature for on the go, hence m4 and px8. The Bathys are a solid entry from Focal I think for on the go. I just wish they could have made them a bit more compact and comfortable.

Jun 4, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #234 of 497

Most of mine are in my Sig, but I have several for different use cases, though have been thinning the heard a bit.
I have some that are for movies and tv primarily, that would be the yamaha YH-L700A. i reviewed them a couple years back and got to keep the unit, but I can only listen to music with them after some significant eq. But they are in their own right, a capable pair of headphones imo.
also have the H95, which tonally aren't as good as the MW75 and PX8 but are probably my favorite of the top tier models in this thread. Also have the HiFiMAN Deva, an awesome openback pair I really enjoy at home or for the hotel when I travel.

Jun 4, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #236 of 497

What is that 5909?

Jun 4, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #237 of 497
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #238 of 497

Ok so I'm probably not going to help you at all here, but if you are a gamer you have to give these a try. I've had them since Friday and I'm seriously considering adding them to this comparison simply because of the sound quality. They can't match up with the others when it comes to the portability factor, I mean they don't have ANC and they're HUGE, but when it comes to being an office/gaming headphone, these may just be the best on the market. I like to hold off on final judgment until I've had at least 2 weeks with a new product, but my early impressions are these may be the absolute biggest steal for the price on the market. When it comes to tonality, accuracy, and neutrality, the only wireless headphone in my possession that are outdoing these are the T+A Solitaire T, and those are $1600+. Yes, these are more accurate and tonally correct than the $799 Focal Bathys, $699 B&W PX8, and $599 M&D MW75. I haven't heard the $1000 ML 5909 in a while, but from memory, these are up there with those but without the extra sizzle in the highs. These are seriously REALLY good for $329, and the noise filtering on the mic is really great for gaming or conference calls. I'm LOVING these so far.

IMG_2706.jpeg

IMG_2707.jpeg

Jun 5, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #239 of 497
Ok so I'm probably not going to help you at all here, but if you are a gamer you have to give these a try. I've had them since Friday and I'm seriously considering adding them to this comparison simply because of the sound quality. They can't match up with the others when it comes to the portability factor, I mean they don't have ANC and they're HUGE, but when it comes to being an office/gaming headphone, these may just be the best on the market. I like to hold off on final judgment until I've had at least 2 weeks with a new product, but my early impressions are these may be the absolute biggest steal for the price on the market. When it comes to tonality, accuracy, and neutrality, the only wireless headphone in my possession that are outdoing these are the T+A Solitaire T, and those are $1600+. Yes, these are more accurate and tonally correct than the $799 Focal Bathys, $699 B&W PX8, and $599 M&D MW75. I haven't heard the $1000 ML 5909 in a while, but from memory, these are up there with those but without the extra sizzle in the highs. These are seriously REALLY good for $329, and the noise filtering on the mic is really great for gaming or conference calls. I'm LOVING these so far.

IMG_2706.jpeg
IMG_2707.jpeg
I've actually checked those out a few times while looking for which headphones to pair with the 5909. And funny enough, I was messing around on Amazon (where I purchased the XM5) and I saw the Bathys on sale for $699. I had to refresh a few times to be sure I wasn't crazy. I also noticed the XM5 were on sale for $348, and I just got them for $398, so that'll make the decision to return them easier. I ordered the Bathys and I plan to drop off the XM5 for return tomorrow. I have long distance flights next week, and I'll test the Bathys ANC to see if they'll be good enough. I imagine they will be fine.

If the Bathys are good enough on the ANC and comfort for flights, then perhaps the Audeze Maxwell make sense. I'm on PS5, would that change your recommendation? I also think the PX8 could be in play since the XM5 are going back and I'm getting the Bathys on sale.

Jun 5, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #240 of 497

I am not a gamer at all but for some reason, these have been on my radar. They have other compelling specs as is, and i know it's only been a few days since you got them, but I'm even more intrigued to try them based on your early sound impressions and reviews I've read previously. seems they're out of stock on amazon, but maybe i'll pick up a pair.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back