Side By Side Comparison - AirPods Max, B&O H95, Dali iO-6, B&W PX8, ML 5909, M&D MW75, Focal Bathys and more
Apr 22, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #211 of 497
Yep, the Mark Levinson No. 5909, as well as T+A Solitaire T, are, as far as I am aware, the only high-end audiophile wireless headphones that can work passively or digitally.

With both cans, if using wired, internal electronics are bypassed.

However, only the Solitaire T are wired balanced internally and come with balanced and single-ended cables, whilst the 5909 are only single-ended.
You can add to the list the NAD Viso HP70, Dali IO-6, and M&D MW75. Of the 5, I only enjoy the Solitaire T, MW75, and HP70 passively. The 5909 loses too much bass presence in my opinion, and the Dali IO-6 are VERY hot in the upper mids and lower treble when used passively.

May 4, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #212 of 497
Wow, excellent write-ups and GREAT thread @Maukey, probably one of the best threads I've come across on HP forums, so thanks very much!

With that, and maybe I missed it, but any experience with ZMF headphones and specifically the Eikon? I'm a big fan of it's tone, sub-bass, excellent vocals, and easier amp pairing ... so my question is, which of the wireless HPs would be most like the Eikon?

Anybody know? I'm assuming it would be either the ML5909 or the T+A

May 4, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #213 of 497
Wow, excellent write-ups and GREAT thread @Maukey, probably one of the best threads I've come across on HP forums, so thanks very much!

With that, and maybe I missed it, but any experience with ZMF headphones and specifically the Eikon? I'm a big fan of it's tone, sub-bass, excellent vocals, and easier amp pairing ... so my question is, which of the wireless HPs would be most like the Eikon?

Anybody know? I'm assuming it would be either the ML5909 or the T+A
Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with ZMF headphones. Based on your description, I think the ML5909 ticks all the boxes with the only exception being its passive mode. You lose a great deal of overall bass when going passive. I know you mentioned amping. If you plan on going passive while amped, this may or may not be a problem for you. The Solitaire T is more neutral than the 5909 to my ears so you don't get the sub bass emphasis. It's hands down the best headphone on my list for going passive.

May 4, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #214 of 497
The Solitaire T is more neutral than the 5909 to my ears so you don't get the sub bass emphasis.

Thanks! Yeah, my biggest need is something that sounds as good wireless as the Eikons sound wired. By no means do I have TOTL equip, but for me the Eikons don't need it.

So it sounds like the 5909 wireless will be tonally most similar to Eikons wired.

Overall I tend much more to the fun sound than neutral, however I already have the B&W P7 wireless from years ago which, for my money, are great fun sound but they're also bass-heavy like the PX8s so I kinda have that covered for wireless.

I'm looking for something more like the Eikons which have great vocals and sub-bass but aren't boomy like the BWs and it sounds like between the T+A & 5909, the latter are closer?

May 5, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #215 of 497
Anyone own the Levinson 5909?

I came across an interesting detail in the user manual. On page 9, there are details on using the headphones wired with 3.5mm cable or 3.5mm cable + 6.3mm adapter, and underneath, it says,

"NOTE: When connecting passively, none of the electronic or app functions are operational."

So I take it these can be used wired with a dead battery?

Correct.

Yep, the Mark Levinson No. 5909, as well as T+A Solitaire T, are, as far as I am aware, the only high-end audiophile wireless headphones that can work passively or digitally.

With both cans, if using wired, internal electronics are bypassed.

However, only the Solitaire T are wired balanced internally and come with balanced and single-ended cables, whilst the 5909 are only single-ended.

The Aonic 50, although not high end by today’s standards (read price), can also run passively. Just another reason why I got them.

May 5, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #216 of 497
The Aonic 50, although not high end by today’s standards (read price), can also run passively. Just another reason why I got them.
Oh, there are headphones that can run wireless and passive, but I worded my post to indicate that specifically in the emerging high-end wireless headphone niche, there are very few cans that can do both.
Recently the HED Unity headphone was announced and is now the second most expensive wireless cans ever priced and part of the wireless high-end tier (Audio-Technica AT-WB200 is the highest, T+A Solitaire T is the third), however the Unity have only been demoed at NAMM and yet to be released (later this year). I'm unsure how it will fare in this niche-of-a-niche segment, or even if it has wired/wireless operation, but keeping my eye on it.

It is a shame that only a select number of high-end wireless cans have true passive wired operation, despite seeing mid-tier headphones able to do so: Shure Aonic 50 (as you pointed out), V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless, and Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 Wireless, are other examples.

I sincerely hope future wireless headphones in the premium range (just above mid-tier but below high-end) have such a feature. I expected both Focal Bathys and B&W P8 to do so, but alas... 😔

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #217 of 497
Firstly, a huge thank you to all who have contributed to this thread and to Maukey for the original article.

Any thoughts from the brain trust as it which is best suited toelectronic music (the old stuff from Jarre, Vangelis, etc.)? That's my go-to genre together with podcasts. ☺️

May 21, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #220 of 497
Doesn't look like they're using LE Audio and LC3, instead relying on a 3 year old codec that isn't included in phones from Google and Samsung. Yes there are other Android OEMs but since APTX Adaptive is not widely available in some parts of the world, at least include LDAC. i want to see as much competition as this space can handle, so heres hoping we get more high end headphones that make a better case for the premium price.

May 24, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #222 of 497
I did get my MW75 a few weeks back. over all pretty happy with the purchase, especially because they gave me the 30% off for the sale that started while I was waiting for them to ship. They didn't have to, but I appreciate that they did.
Some quick thoughts over all.
i am not a fan of the shallow earcups myself. I knew this was a posibility thanks to previous posts i'd seen, primarily in the MW75 thread, but didn't worry to much about it, because I rarely have issue with earcup depth. getting used to it though.
i've played with the ANC in the app and it seems underwhelming. not as good as the ANC on the PX8 imo, or the H95.
The app is easy to use, just wish it had at least a 5 band eq to create different sound profiles, with the option to create and save presets.
To me, the PX8 does have better tonality, but what sets the MW 75 apart for me is the more open airy sound when using the "Audiophile" preset.
The "bass boost" preset, which is the default tuning of the MW75, to me has a similar crowded/cramped sound of the PX8 but tonally the MW75 sounds worse in this mode than the PX8 does in its default mode. The PX8 has more detail.
The treble on the MW75 is perfect for my taste. Comparing it to trebel on other headphones, I can see how it might be harsh for some, and it does come close to that at times, but for me, it is a highlight of listening to the Mw75.
I wish the MW75 had just a touch more lower bass in the "audiophile" preset. Wouldn't need to be much, but would definitely make these more engaging and better for on the go use.
I've traveled with these twice now, and have been able to wear them for 4 plus hours without feeling the need to take them off. I thought it might be sooner based on how shallow the earcups are for me, but glad that isn't the case.

May 24, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #223 of 497
I did get my MW75 a few weeks back. over all pretty happy with the purchase, especially because they gave me the 30% off for the sale that started while I was waiting for them to ship. They didn't have to, but I appreciate that they did.
i am not a fan of the shallow earcups myself. I knew this was a posibility thanks to previous posts i'd seen, primarily in the MW75 thread, but didn't worry to much about it, because I rarely have issue with earcup depth. getting used to it though.
i've played with the ANC in the app and it seems underwhelming. not as good as the ANC on the PX8 imo, or the H95.
The app is easy to use, just wish it had at least a 5 band eq to create different sound profiles, with the option to create and save presets.
To me, the PX8 does have better tonality, but what sets the MW 75 apart for me is the more open airy sound when using the "Audiophile" preset.
The "bass boost" preset, which is the default tuning of the MW75, to me has a similar crowded/cramped sound of the PX8 but tonally the MW75 sounds worse in this mode than the PX8 does in its default mode. The PX8 has more detail.
The treble on the MW75 is perfect for my taste. Comparing it to trebel on other headphones, I can see how it might be harsh for some, and it does come close to that at times, but for me, it is a highlight of listening to the Mw75.
I wish the MW75 had just a touch more lower bass in the "audiophile" preset. Wouldn't need to be much, but would definitely make these more engaging and better for on the go use.
I've traveled with these twice now, and have been able to wear them for 4 plus hours without feeling the need to take them off. I thought it might be sooner based on how shallow the earcups are for me, but glad that isn't the case.
God the sibilance on the MW75 with female vocals though...Had to return mine

May 25, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #224 of 497
Thanks for the comparison. I agree with most of what you said. I just repurchased the MW75 in the Bugatti edition. Love them. I'm sure it's just me, but they're more comfortable than I remember. I've always said I rarely have issues with comfort due to my small ears and the shape of my head, but I distinctly remember my original MW75 being a tight fit even for my ears. I don't know, the Bugatti edition I have doesn't fit tight, and actually feels lighter on my head than I remember. I wish I had my AMG edition to compare to this one, I'm starting to feel like something's different with the materials. I agree on tonality. The tonality is a slightly lesser 5909 in my opinion, with a tuning that's more bass emphasized. It's obviously less resolving and not as spacious as the 5909. I still maintain that if you like the 5909's sound, you'll like the MW75 if you're ok with the bass emphasis, and not as much fidelity and resolution. I'm not sensitive to treble and definitely prefer a headphone to give me more treble out of the box than not enough. The PX8 definitely walks the line on occasion of not enough. For me, there are more times where I want more treble from the PX8 than there are times where I want less treble from the MW75. Don't get me wrong, the MW75 will emphasize S and T sounds depending on recording, it's just not to the point of being sibilant to my ears. Let's just say I really enjoy the MW75. For me, there's no headphone that does fun listening better. I've been contemplating going back and updating my take on the MW75 in my original post. I want to be fair though and really give it a couple of weeks for the newness to wear off. Right now though, going back and forth between the MW75 and PX8, the MW75 more than holds it's own. It's not a lopsided victory in favor of the PX8 as some would have you believe. Just my opinion :)

IMG_2692.jpeg
IMG_2693.jpeg

May 25, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #225 of 497
Thanks for the comparison. I agree with most of what you said. I just repurchased the MW75 in the Bugatti edition. Love them. I'm sure it's just me, but they're more comfortable than I remember. I've always said I rarely have issues with comfort due to my small ears and the shape of my head, but I distinctly remember my original MW75 being a tight fit even for my ears. I don't know, the Bugatti edition I have doesn't fit tight, and actually feels lighter on my head than I remember. I wish I had my AMG edition to compare to this one, I'm starting to feel like something's different with the materials. I agree on tonality. The tonality is a slightly lesser 5909 in my opinion, with a tuning that's more bass emphasized. It's obviously less resolving and not as spacious as the 5909. I still maintain that if you like the 5909's sound, you'll like the MW75 if you're ok with the bass emphasis, and not as much fidelity and resolution. I'm not sensitive to treble and definitely prefer a headphone to give me more treble out of the box than not enough. The PX8 definitely walks the line on occasion of not enough. For me, there are more times where I want more treble from the PX8 than there are times where I want less treble from the MW75. Don't get me wrong, the MW75 will emphasize S and T sounds depending on recording, it's just not to the point of being sibilant to my ears. Let's just say I really enjoy the MW75. For me, there's no headphone that does fun listening better. I've been contemplating going back and updating my take on the MW75 in my original post. I want to be fair though and really give it a couple of weeks for the newness to wear off. Right now though, going back and forth between the MW75 and PX8, the MW75 more than holds it's own. It's not a lopsided victory in favor of the PX8 as some would have you believe. Just my opinion :)

IMG_2692.jpeg IMG_2693.jpeg
I enjoy the light relaxed fit of the MW75. In the MW75 thread, a few people post about using the MG20 Earpads with the MW75, because they have more inner depth. But they don't stay magnetized to the Headphone. IF they did, i'd likely give them a shot.
I agree, the MW75 definitely holds its own against the PX8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back