Sick of buying headphones
Apr 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

ChocolateFinger

New Head-Fier
So over the past few months I have tried out a number of headphones, all failing on me.

The SR850's - Hated the pads, sock mod fixed this somewhat but the pads kept coming off, leather headband broke after a few months, I hated everything about these other then the sound quality.

The Superlux HD668B - These were OK,  but also uncomfortable and sock mod made the pads flimsy and they kept sliding off. These were basically the SR850's with a different headband. Also hated them.

The Audio-Technica ATH-M50S - The sound was pretty good and they fit OK, but what did it for me was the creaking noise coming from the left ear. I assumed it was the hinges, but after ordering two of them; the sound persisted. For most people the sound would probably be unnoticeable.. But I sometimes sit in silence and the creaking sound any time I moved my head the slightest drove me crazy.

So this brings me here. I have no idea what to get now, I'm no audiophile and all I want is a comfortable headset that will do OK with gaming and some music/movies; without spending a arm and a leg (max budget $70, preferably under $50). I am 70% gaming 30% music/movies with my music of choice being dubstep/electronic. I am willing to sacrifice performance for comfort/build quality. I want something that will last, and feel good on my ears, bottom line. Can it be done in my price range? Also must be from amazon.com.

Here's what I've looked at so far with disappointing reviews:

JVC HARX900
JVC RX700
Koss ProDJ100
Sony MDR-V6
Samson RH600

Thanks!

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 30
Have you thought about getting some Creative Aurvana Live! ("CAL!") headphones? They are around your budget level and I have heard them praised by a pretty credible reviewer (aka Tyll  
wink_face.gif
).  They are supposed to have a warmer sound but should have great SQ, build quality and good comfort for the price point.  I have not listened to them personally, but I thought they sounded like something you might want to check out.

Here's a review: 

www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:
Have you thought about getting some Creative Aurvana Live! ("CAL!") headphones? They are around your budget level and I have heard them praised by a pretty credible reviewer (aka Tyll  
wink_face.gif
).  They are supposed to have a warmer sound but should have great SQ, build quality and good comfort for the price point.  I have not listened to them personally, but I thought they sounded like something you might want to check out.

Here's a review: 

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:
wink_face.gif

Here's a review: 

Yeah I did consider them. They are a tad too expensive for me, not really worth it as I hear the soundstage is not great.

On a side note, I used to have a old old pair of Sony MDR something, I LOVED them, they felt great and sounded amazing but they were old and from like 1999 I think. I can't seem to find them anywhere on amazon or other websites, they must have been discontinued as I can only find other brands of Sony MDR now. Anyone know what headphones I'm talking about? I think they were large, silver/grey headphones and they were over the ear and felt amazing. Boy.. They sure don't make them like they used to.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 30
By disappointing reviews, do you mean you've tried them and not liked them, or the reviews you've found haven't been positive enough? You'll never find a headphone everyone likes.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:
By disappointing reviews, do you mean you've tried them and not liked them, or the reviews you've found haven't been positive enough? You'll never find a headphone everyone likes.

Yeah I understand that, but some reviews say the build quality is poor, which is what I am trying to avoid mostly. I don't want the left earphone breaking in a month, or the cord breaking from light daily use. This is what I'm getting so far from the listed phones I posted.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 30
I might suggest the AD700x or the AD900x (supposedly a overall better version of the AD700x, but not sure if more comfortable) and MDR-MA900, if you're willing to spend a little more money.

Reviews for AD700 can be found here http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-ad700 and I imagine the AD700x review will be similar as it's an updated version http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-ad700x-audiophile-open-air-headphones

Review for the AD900x and MDR-MA900 can be found here http://www.head-fi.org/t/654161/review-comparison-ath-ad900x-vs-mdr-ma900-its-over-900

I have a AD700. I, and many others, consider it one of the most comfortable headphones available.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Yeah I understand that, but some reviews say the build quality is poor, which is what I am trying to avoid mostly. I don't want the left earphone breaking in a month, or the cord breaking from light daily use. This is what I'm getting so far from the listed phones I posted.

In that case the DJ100's are probably your best bet. I have them and can tell you that they have pretty good construction; the plastic used is thick and sturdy and the cups are aluminum. But more importantly, Koss has a lifetime warranty in case something on it does break. I wouldn't say they're all that comfortable, but the ultra comfortable headphones out there cost quite a bit more. Also, you can get aftermarket pads for the DJ100's that will make them more comfortable.

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 30
When it comes to comfort and durability in that price range the mdr-v6 is a pretty clear winner. Very well built with all user replaceable parts. Many people have sets with 10 or more years on them. They sound pretty good as well and angling the pads (takes 5 minutes and no tools) helps the soundstage dramatically

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:
When it comes to comfort and durability in that price range the mdr-v6 is a pretty clear winner. Very well built with all user replaceable parts. Many people have sets with 10 or more years on them. They sound pretty good as well and angling the pads (takes 5 minutes and no tools) helps the soundstage dramatically

I thought those were pretty clampy? Never tried them myself.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 30
If you don't mind used/refurb. Add Sennheiser HD280 Pro to the list. Crazy comfortable and super durable.

I've carried them in my backpack for 3 years and I don't baby my backpack. It gets sat on, thrown around, etc.

Also fallen asleep at the desk with them on many times. Should be able to grab a pair for $70-$80.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 30
I would not call the HD280s comfortable, let alone crazy comfortable. You're crazy, man. Those things are clamp monsters. They make my jaw hurt after an hour or two. They are durable though. But definitely nowhere near what I would call comfortable. Maybe not as bad as the M-Audio Q40s, but I haven't heard those -- just horror stories about their clamping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back