Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Jul 17, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,621 of 2,282
Quote:
i've said this before, but it bears repeating (as it was virtually ignored the first time 'round 
tongue.gif
):
putting SRH840 pads on the 1840 warms up the sound signature.  significantly.

no, not monster bass, but it adds a nice fullness, and tames down the splashy treble considerably.

for what its worth, i have two pairs of 1840s.  one with velour pads, one with pleather.
makes for more versatile listening experiences....

I prefer the SQ of velour over leather/pleather on all open cans, but that's just me.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,622 of 2,282
Quote:
i've said this before, but it bears repeating (as it was virtually ignored the first time 'round 
tongue.gif
):

no, not monster bass, but it adds a nice fullness, and tames down the splashy treble considerably.

for what its worth, i have two pairs of 1840s.  one with velour pads, one with pleather.
makes for more versatile listening experiences....

You know this is worth trying out.  I have the SRH840 pads on two of my modded Fostex and they really do improve the bass presence.

Good Call TheWuss.

beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #1,623 of 2,282
Quote:
Didn't have any problems wearing the headphones "normally"... anyway, it's cool that you mention the HD600s as they were my main comparison for these Shures! And definitely agree with: "they sound like a super clean, better proportioned, and more holographic version of the HD600". Instrument separation is top-notch and sound stage is really good! Still, contrary to you, I stuck to the Senns... :wink:

If they sound similar to HD600 then they shouldn't cost 2-300 $$$ more, as they do. I would buy these HP right now but not at $700.

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #1,624 of 2,282
That was actually one of my "cons" for the headphone BUT I bought them at way less than 700! Also, some people seem to like it better than the HD600 anyway...

Note: if you go to earphonesolutions.com now and use their 20% coupon (SUMMER12), you can fetch them for $560!!!

:p

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #1,625 of 2,282
Quote:
tongue.gif
):

This is similar to doing the SRH940 mod on the 1840 - which is putting cotton balls (or fabric) under the pads so that they puff up higher and put the drivers slightly farther from your ears and create a larger chamber.  Takes only a few minutes and is non-destructive (and the box has another set of pads anyway).

And break-in does help the bass - it goes from being slightly bass-light to being bass-neutral.  It's likely that the driver surround needs to be flexed for a few hours to attain the right elasticity.  A good engineer would design the balance after the drivers were broken-in, since the headphones would be used broken-in for 99.9% of their life.

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #1,626 of 2,282
Try this with SHR 1440:

Put extra earpads, that comes with them, on your ears, and put the SHR 1440 headphones on your head, so you have 2 earpads on each of your ear.
Then, make this scheme in equalizer:

I like SHR 1440 except basses... I really miss basses from HD600, so I was trying to bring SHR 1440 basses to sound more like HD600's. This is just version 1.0, I'm sure, there can be maybe better schemes in equalizer to do this...I'm looking forward, if someone can improve it, and will post his schemes.
I know about Dalethorn mod, but I have SHR 1440 only borrowed yet, so I cannot cut anything. I am curious, if his mod would do even better.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #1,627 of 2,282
Quote:

I prefer the SQ of velour over leather/pleather on all open cans, but that's just me.

It's not just you. Leather/pleather can really mess up the bass, making it one blurred note.

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #1,628 of 2,282
How is that possible, that I'm the only one who think that the 1840's upper midrange is unbearable and ear-piercing, especially on vocals.
I'm trying to like this headphone but the huge upper midrange-treble peak in the vocals always disgusts me, and interrupts my listening.
It sounds like a HD800 with more realistic cymbals and an even more offensive upper midrange-mid treble peak.
Some people said that a good cable upgrage decrease this peak significantly making it almost non-existent.
But I don't want to venture and throw out 210 dollars in the dustbin for nothing.

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,629 of 2,282
Quote:
How is that possible, that I'm the only one who think that the 1840's upper midrange is unbearable and ear-piercing, especially on vocals.
I'm trying to like this headphone but the huge upper midrange-treble peak in the vocals always disgusts me, and interrupts my listening.

If it gets too unbearable, I would be more than willing to deal with the disgusting sound quality.
wink_face.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #1,630 of 2,282
Quote:
It sounds like a HD800 with more realistic cymbals and an even more offensive upper midrange-mid treble peak.
Some people said that a good cable upgrage decrease this peak significantly making it almost non-existent.
But I don't want to venture and throw out 210 dollars in the dustbin for nothing.

Wow... these are 100% troublefree for me. No harsh mids, no annoying peaks. The mids sound very natural and uncolored to my ears, absolutely great vocal perfomance even out of portables.

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #1,633 of 2,282
What equipment do you use except for the Sony portable?
I use a cheap Xonar D2X soundcard, which I know is very anemic for such an expensive headphone , but I am not willing to pay at least 500 $ for an accetable DAC and the same amount for a decent headphone amp right now.
I also have an iPod Touch 3rd generation, which interestingly sounds better than my D2X, but the tinny vocals remain.

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #1,634 of 2,282
Quote:
What equipment do you use except for the Sony portable?

At the moment only the portable, a few months ago i had the Asus Xonar Essence One which was fantastic with the Shure too. I basically gave up on expensive amps and dacs after owning too many of them, the Sony has a great soundquality so that's all i use right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back