Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Jun 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,546 of 2,282
Quote:
This is interesting , because dalethorn said that they are ever so slightly dark sounding headphones.
Maybe he got a pre-production model, which probably was more laid back than the current models in production.

I don't remember him saying they were dark. I'm pretty sure he meant it in relation to other cans he was reviewing (940, 1440 etc.)

He has the current model. Only Jude and major players got the pre-pro models for testing.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,547 of 2,282
He said it in the relation to HD600/650s. Actually I find it very surprising that he hears things that differently from you.
Anyway here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ1cIfUWmzo.

"Compared to the 600/650, the Shure 1840 should have comparable bass or pretty close, it will be clearer and less veiled, and the presence range (high mids or low highs) will be slightly dark. I haven't had my 600's or 650's since I got the HD-800, but I remember them both being similar and brighter in the presence area than the 1840. The 1840's earcups are very similar in look and feel to the 600/650, but the 1840 overall is much lighter and puts less pressure on your head."

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #1,548 of 2,282
Yea, I read his written review, and there he never mentioned the 1840 as being dark. His opinion probably changed as he got some time to listen and reflect: http://www.dalethorn.com/Headphone_Shure_Srh1840_Review.txt

BTW, it shouldn't be surprising that his comparison to the 600/650 was different from mine, because unlike him, I actually had them all together while he was going from distant memory.
To be honest, I wouldn't put too much value on his video impressions. I feel the written one is more thorough and accurate.

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #1,549 of 2,282
I've seen you wrote a comparison between the T1s and the SRHs. I'm very interested in their treble refinement comparison, beacause I really liked the smooth, controlled, and grain-free treble of the T1s, when I auditioned one. I wonder if the 1840s are capable in this area.

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,550 of 2,282
Quote:
He said it in the relation to HD600/650s. Actually I find it very surprising that he hears things that differently from you.
Anyway here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ1cIfUWmzo.

"Compared to the 600/650, the Shure 1840 should have comparable bass or pretty close, it will be clearer and less veiled, and the presence range (high mids or low highs) will be slightly dark. I haven't had my 600's or 650's since I got the HD-800, but I remember them both being similar and brighter in the presence area than the 1840. The 1840's earcups are very similar in look and feel to the 600/650, but the 1840 overall is much lighter and puts less pressure on your head."

I don't find the 1840 to be dark at all when compared to the 650.  If I would have to call anyone of them dark it would have to be the 650.  Also the 650 is more bass.  The 1840 presents the correct bass according to the recording. 

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #1,554 of 2,282
Quote:

I don't find the 1840 to be dark at all when compared to the 650.  If I would have to call anyone of them dark it would have to be the 650.  Also the 650 is more bass.  The 1840 presents the correct bass according to the recording. 

Yep, I didn't found them "dark" either, but bass was indeed present. I actually found the sound of the SRH1840s being way similar to the HD600s, but the added spark up top and instrument separation was what set it apart! Still, I ended up staying with the 600s...

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #1,555 of 2,282
Quote:
But as you have already mentioned, the ear-piercing highs and the coarse mids what you are hearing is probably the V200's fault, because as I have read, it wasn't designed for low impedance cans, so it's probably not suitable for your Shures either.
Altough a few people mentioned about a very slight emphasis on the highs, nobody said that it was almost unbearable nor even that it attracts attention.
Something like a Luxman P200 would be the best paired with these.
The only thing I can suggest you should use them with the DX100 if you're not willing to pay an another 1500 $ on an another AMP, which I completely understand and agree with you.

I do not think so, as both the LCD 2 32ohm and HE500 at 38ohm are lower in impedance than the 1840 at 65ohm! You may have confused the V200 with the Auditor/Phonitor which really is geared to higher impedance Headphones. The V200 also does a very good job of driving IEM such as the SE535ltd, among many others, which is hiss prone and with the V200 no hiss is apparent. 

To me the 1840 is a headphone that is on the bright side of neutral.

A manufacturer like Luxman would be out of the question for me, I do not like the sonics of this brand, they have a slow and ponderous house sound.  
Quote:

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I went ahead and compared all of my headphones at SPLs I can only stand for minutes at a time. What I heard is that they all became more fatiguing to a degree. Most obviously, that's because of the high volumes. It goes without saying, but this was worst with poor recordings.

But, interestingly, I found the Shures to become fatiguing quickest. At (ear-ringing) volumes, the upper mids to mid-treble do become too prominent. This could be part of what you're describing. I don't hear any added hardness/coarseness, or discern any qualitative difference, but a tonal balance that was pleasing at my listening volume becomes too much of a good thing when pumped up.
Because of this, I realized I also enjoy the Shures more at low to medium volumes. Good thing too, because that's really the only volume range I listen at (average being 65-70dB).

For me, at certain times I would like to hear songs at volumes it was intended to be heard at, especially live recordings and in all honesty, the 1840 is not capable of that due to the fatigue that it exhibits. This is not me being pedantic, it is just a shortfall of the 1840.

At normal listening levels, the 1840 is a highly revealing headphone able to deliver delicacies in the music
k701smile.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,556 of 2,282
Quote:
Is anyone that owns the SRH 1840 or 1440 going to the Big L.A. Meet? If so could you bring them? I'd really like to hear them.
Thanks.

I'm working on getting both for the meet.  /fingerscrossed

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,557 of 2,282
Quote:

For me, at certain times I would like to hear songs at volumes it was intended to be heard at, especially live recordings and in all honesty, the 1840 is not capable of that due to the fatigue that it exhibits. This is not me being pedantic, it is just a shortfall of the 1840.  
At normal listening levels, the 1840 is a highly revealing headphone able to deliver delicacies in the music
k701smile.gif

I don't think that's very healthy, but hey, they're your ears :)

The volumes at which I was getting the loss of balance were far beyond reasonable. I couldn't listen for more than 30 seconds without my ears ringing. I've always been careful to preserve my hearing so no more of those tests for me!

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #1,558 of 2,282
Quote:
I've seen you wrote a comparison between the T1s and the SRHs. I'm very interested in their treble refinement comparison, beacause I really liked the smooth, controlled, and grain-free treble of the T1s, when I auditioned one. I wonder if the 1840s are capable in this area.

Hmm, my T1s were recabled, which brought their treble in line with the rest of the spectrum. But even the stock T1s had better treble quality than the Shures. What bothered me about the T1s was the treble quantity, which was too much for me at times (prominent spike in its response graph).

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #1,559 of 2,282
It looks like that I'm gong to recieve my pair of these beautiful cans in the middle of this week. I am very excited.
Do they even scale up with better amps?
Because now I need to buy an AMP as well, and I'm not willing to pay 1000$ on an AMP, if it is not needed.

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,560 of 2,282
For the interested...

EarphoneSolutions.com has a coupon for 25% OFF!!!!
(bringing the SRH1840s to like $525!!!, $300 for the 1440s...)

Great price for a nice pair of headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back