Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Dec 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #136 of 2,282
Too bad it's not released until after christmas. January seems like a bad time to release something expensive (right after everyone pays too much on christmas gifts) but I guess they can't get it out faster than is physically possible (supply / production or whatever, I'm no expert).

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #137 of 2,282

Quote:
They are now on the UK Shure site, suggested retail is 599 pounds (which equates to a little over $900 US):
http://www.shure.co.uk/products/headphones/srh1840

So, we'll see what they are here in America, but I have a feeling that they will be $900 MSRP.  For instance, the SRH940 is 185 pounds ($290) on Amazon.co uk, which just happens to be around the street price here in the States.  The MSRP for the SRH940 is $375, so the street discount is about 25%.  This puts the SRH1840 at about $700 general retail.

Think that just ruled me out...

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #139 of 2,282
It is very interesting to see Shure as they branch out into different types of headphones. I'm glad that they've changed the headband design for these cans.
These actually really remind me of the good old Sennheiser HD 650 in the way their grills look. But could these new Shure 'phones really be so much better to justify their higher prices? o.o

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #140 of 2,282

Quote:
It is very interesting to see Shure as they branch out into different types of headphones. I'm glad that they've changed the headband design for these cans.
These actually really remind me of the good old Sennheiser HD 650 in the way their grills look. But could these new Shure 'phones really be so much better to justify their higher prices? o.o

That is the question on everyone's mind. And it will drive us mad thinking about it, so I'm not until I see a few reviews out for them.

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #141 of 2,282
I bet these will cost $549 in the USA at the lowest cost outlets, and will have better treble extension than the LCD2. Shure knows what they're doing. People in Japan who want that American sound, be it for production work or home listening, will pay for it. Additionally the tariff-free trade in the USA is a one way street. Don't expect Japan to reciprocate. We'll find out on the 15th what they'll cost in Korea (you know, the only one worthy of that country's name... South Korea). I think that'll be a bit closer to US pricing reality.

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #142 of 2,282
An open back shure? 
eek.gif

Im interested. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #143 of 2,282
> Shure knows what they're doing. 

I was thinking the other day... if you think about it, high end microphones seem to somehow exceed the quality of even the best headphones. Bad mics don't of course, but good ones must, otherwise how is it headphones continue to get better without a recordings already exceeding the former headphones quality?

So if anything, it makes sense I guess that a previous microphone company would have a lot of people who really know their stuff when it comes to audio and acoustics. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #145 of 2,282
He's probably having trouble taking them off long enough to concentrate on writing a review :p

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #146 of 2,282
Those condenser microphones pick up an insane amount of detail. Even CD quality recordings reveal additional hidden secrets to users of better headphones. I bet the Shure SRH1440 will be more colored for users who want more bass, even music producers who want to know what it'll sound like through the bassy headphones, but still revealing enough to give an idea of mix quality.

The coolest thing about Shure is how durable most of their equipment is. I think I can hammer nails with my Shure microphone, and my Shure IEMs outlasted my iBuds by a fair margin... and I'm wrapping these things up a lot and tugging them on corners of things accidently, all without any problems. I expect better durability for the higher price, but that doesn't always pan out in reality. With Shure, it usually does.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #147 of 2,282
Woah, slow down there cowboy.  I know it's the internet age, but sometimes patience can be a good thing.  Jude already said he has not heard the 1440, and it would make sense to post the impressions for both at the same time, A-B'ing them against each other.

Quote:
So... where in the world is Jude?!?!
We want more impressions!!!!

​
I've had a Shure SRH1840 prototype here since this past spring, and received a production version of it last week. It is a very impressive headphone, and I'll say more about it later. (It's the middle of the night here right now.)

I haven't heard the Shure SRH1440 yet, but I expect a production version of it to arrive next week.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #148 of 2,282
Patience being a good thing is a matter of opinion.  In the case of normal people it really isn't, if someone wants to save up for it or wants to know if they should make a purchase right now or perhaps wait for this new model, then they should at least have some information on it.  I don't understand why some manufacturers and reviewers treat it like its an Iphone or some new technology.  Everyone knows its a dynamic driver, there are no secret technologies inside of it...its not like Grado or Beyer is going to steal Shures outer design so why not just give us the information we drool for?

Why be secretive if we are going to end up buying it regardless of how it sounds.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #150 of 2,282
Not quite sure who this post was directed to, but if it was in response to mine then you clearly missed the point of it. 

To your post, however, what exactly constitutes a 'normal' person?  Patience is something the majority of the western world that I've encountered lacks these days, and we're worse off for it.

And how is Jude being secretive by releasing a large post, pre-N.A. sales with pictures and technical information, noting that he very much enjoys the headphone and will expand on it at a later date?

Quote:
Patience being a good thing is a matter of opinion.  In the case of normal people it really isn't, if someone wants to save up for it or wants to know if they should make a purchase right now or perhaps wait for this new model, then they should at least have some information on it.  I don't understand why some manufacturers and reviewers treat it like its an Iphone or some new technology.  Everyone knows its a dynamic driver, there are no secret technologies inside of it...its not like Grado or Beyer is going to steal Shures outer design so why not just give us the information we drool for?

Why be secretive if we are going to end up buying it regardless of how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back