Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Jul 10, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #2,161 of 2,282
I've screwed and unscrewed the driver capsule so many times and I think I've over turned the screws and probably poked the drivers.

Attachments

• 1499718727910801767456.jpg
    1499718727910801767456.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #2,162 of 2,282
Jude, if you have a pair of these kicking around, I would love to see some measurements from your rig regarding these. When they were released they were admonished for their "bass distortion" among other measurement oddities by the usual suspects. Would be interesting to see if that is confirmed by your measurement rig, as I was always a bit of a fan of these and never heard any of the so-called measurement problems that were levied against them.

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #2,163 of 2,282
I ordered some HM5 pads to try on my srh1440, non-angled pleather-velour hybrid pads and angled pleather pads. Probably not offical hm5 pads though because they were so cheap, but I think they seem to be very good quality and are very soft and comfy neverthless. These fit like glove but first mounting can be a bit tough mission. Sound changes are interesting and I'm quite happy how they do change the sound. Most srh1440 owners probably agree that stock sound can be quite bright and even a bit harsh in some cases aswell a bit bass light. Here's some sound sig impressions:

Stock pads vs pleather velour hybrids:
Swapping from stock pads to hm5 hybrids feels like more natural 'upgrade' if you find stock sound too bright/in your face. Hm5 hybrids do tame down treble, and does give some extra bass which is nice. Drawback might be that some really analytical detail in mid range is lost, but then again that might be those frequensies that did give sound its sometimes harsh nature.

Hm5 pleather-velour hybids vs angled pleather
Angled pleather pads have quite different signature as expected. Soundstage is wider and create more sense of depth aswell because angled design. Bass has increased even more, but it's still far from being overpowering, and I don't think it's muddying up the sound. Whole sound is more laid back due not so prominent treble. However I think treble is still very detailed, seperation is great and imaging aswell. I actually think whole sound is so pleasant and great with these pads that they will stay on my srh1440 for now.

Shure SRH1440 was actually my first headphone costing high price (400€ in 2013) and they still keep being one of my very favorite headphones.
Money well spent :beerchug:

pics of pads!
IMG_20180224_103754.jpg IMG_20180224_105236.jpg IMG_20180224_105953.jpg
PS: I use same angled pleather pads on my Beyerdynamic DT150, loving the sound, comfort and isolation.

EDIT:
Even though pleather pads have fun signature, I still settled to hybrid pads because they're more comfy (on-par with stock velours) and sound sig is more natural and less fatiguing than stock velours.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #2,165 of 2,282
They are pretty good. I think the closest mid-fi headphone to the HD 800 / HD 800 S since the HD6XX headphones simply lack the speed, details and also sounds less open than the Shure SRH 1840.

But the Shure SRH 1840 really has too much grain in it's treble. That is very easy to hear next to high-end headphones (the HD6XX also has grain but not as much like the Shure SRH 1840).

If Shure cleaned up that grainy treble, then it would have been an amazing headphone.

The 1840 is my favorite headphone that I own (my others are Senn HD6XX and Momentum, and Foster TH-X00 PH). To my ears they are grain free. I especially enjoy using themfor listening to live music. I have noticed that they sound better with my NuForce HDP than with my Centrances, which I use for my Senns and Fostex.

Whatever distortion these headphones have, it is definitely euphonic. Live music especially sounds sweet. For anyone who is looking for an open headphone with a natural sound, give the 1840s an audition! Many pro-oriented shops carry them

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #2,167 of 2,282
any options, guys ?

You could try chucklevins.com . They are a large pro audio shop outside of Washington DC and have (or at least had) the 1840 in stock. I’ve placed orders from them over the phone for parts mail order. Couldn’t say whether they have access to spare parts for the 1840, but it’s worth a shot.

Good luck!

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #2,168 of 2,282
You could try chucklevins.com . They are a large pro audio shop outside of Washington DC and have (or at least had) the 1840 in stock. I’ve placed orders from them over the phone for parts mail order. Couldn’t say whether they have access to spare parts for the 1840, but it’s worth a shot.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot! Going to try and send them a message.

May 10, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2,169 of 2,282
These are back on sale at online retailers like Amazon, B&H Photo and Shure.com. The price is $374 (plus shipping).

I've spent much of 2018 researching what headphones to buy because I finally wanted to upgrade from my old trusty Sony MDR-V6. I've tried the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and the Sennheiser HD 6XX. I lasted about 15 minutes with the Beyer's before I decided to return them. I followed that purchase up with the Sennheiser's and auditioned them for about a week. I ultimately could not get past the signature sound of the Sennheiser's, they were not for me. I know they (HD 650's) are highly regarded but it's just not my cup of tea.

What I wanted was a truly analytical and neutral sounding headphone and at a price that didn't make my wife want to file for divorce after 18 years of marriage. The most pleasing sounding audio product I've ever owned are the Yamaha HS-7 Studio Monitors. Truly uncolored across the spectrum. I had mine for a little over a year but ultimately sold them because I simply didn't use loudspeakers that much. I'm apparently a die-hard headphone person, regardless of the alternatives.

So as I set out on my search for my headphone, my prerequisite was that they present an honest and uncolored rendering of the recording I'm listening to at that given time. I derive my listening pleasure from clarity and authenticity.

As I've continued to look around, I saw the 1840's and filed them away as a "maybe". After basically exhausting all other options including buying and trying a couple, I've settled on the Shure's. These reviews, among others - including someone I respect on another forum who has owned them for several years - tipped the scales for the 1840's.

SoundOnSound
What Hi-Fi
TapeOp

I ordered them yesterday directly from Shure and hope to have them in the mail when I get home tomorrow. I realize the opinions are a bit polarizing; perhaps that's not quite right. For ever 8 or 9 raves there's 1 or 2 negative reviews. Including in this very thread.

There isn't nearly as much out there on the web about the 1840's as there are about the Sennheiser HD 600-line and the Beyer DT-line. Likely because of the price-point differential.The MSRP is in sort of a no man's land between $300-$400 but below $1000.

At $374, I couldn't pass them up. Fingers crossed.

May 11, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #2,173 of 2,282
The 1840 is so ridiculously undervalued. They sound great, are very comfortable, are very light, and built extremely well for the price. I’ve heard headphones that cost over $3000 that don’t sound as good or natural. They’re simply great headphones.

I also love the 1540’s, but their bass is a little too boosted for my preferences. But they still sound great and are fantastic headphones.

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #2,174 of 2,282
Just had these delivered today, got them for $299.20, down from $374 with the coupon offered by Ebay the other day for Father's Day, through World Wide Stereo's Ebay store.

So far I am enjoying them very much, very comfortable, and sound really nice.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #2,175 of 2,282
Question for folks who have owned the 1840s for a while, how are the MMCX connectors holding up? Do you leave the cable plugged in all the time, or remove them often?
I like keeping my headphones in their case when not in use like every other pair I own, and it seems like there might be extra strain on them if left connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back