Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jan 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #2,986 of 3,855

Quote:
Try the E9 for amping, from what I've read  before on this thread the E9 makes an important difference.

Certainly.

I thought they sounded mediocre at best out of the e7 TBH.

I've been spending a lot of head time with the SP-1 out of the D100 so I can get familiar with it, but I can spend some more time with the 940 paired with the D100 and see what I think.

I'm convinced the 940 are a bit sensitive to the source/dac/amp, although notably (in my experience when compared) the 940 doesn't scale that impressively compared to the differences I heard with the SP-1

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #2,987 of 3,855

Quote:
Well, any other people thinking vocals sounding "fake" on the srh940 ?
biggrin.gif

So far,  two users complaining of the vocals on srh940 : "Enter Darkness" & "Bcasey25raptor".

I thought that vocals on srh940 sound more or less the same as for my hd595, and that was one of the strong points of that headphone. But I prefer to listen to instrumentals anyways
biggrin.gif

One case a may report, although it wasn't necessarily negative--

I was with a friend the other day (owner of HD650, FiiO e7/e9 used as a DAC/preamp, and Schitt Valahalla) and we were comparing the HD650, SP-1 and Shure 940 out of the D100/Schitt and he did mention in one comment that the vocals of the 940 were presented a little "differently, can't tell if it is off though".  That's coming from a musician of many instruments (including singing).

It definitely wasn't expressed in a negative light, but he did mention a difference in presentation and hinted that it could be off.  He doesn't exactly have untrained ears either.  I agreed with him when listening for it that the timbre of the vocals sounded different in the 940 versus the SP-1 and 650, which surprisingly had similar vocal presentations despite being polar opposites.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #2,988 of 3,855

Quote:
Well, any other people thinking vocals sounding "fake" on the srh940 ?
biggrin.gif

So far,  two users complaining of the vocals on srh940 : "Enter Darkness" & "Bcasey25raptor".

I thought that vocals on srh940 sound more or less the same as for my hd595, and that was one of the strong points of that headphone. But I prefer to listen to instrumentals anyways
biggrin.gif

I think a number of us had said that the SRH940 is a bit coloured.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #2,989 of 3,855
Of course the SRH940 is colored. I have no issues with it (and I find it's not as bad as people seem to say, especially if you EQ to correct). Also I love the fact that it's ridiculously detailed, and to me that makes vocals, violin, etc. sound much more realistic than anything else. Yes, the coloration makes a few things sound a bit "off" versus my HD650s which are quite natural sounding IMO. However the HD650s lack of treble detail fails to suspend disbelief that what I'm listening to is real life.

I suppose everyone is different, but I just can't imagine myself in a room listening to a life performance with cotton balls in my ears. The SRH940 and HD800 are the ONLY headphones that do treble right IMO (granted I haven't heard a whole lot, but I've owned AD2000s, DT880s, and currently own HD650s).

> I'm convinced the 940 are a bit sensitive to the source/dac/amp, although notably (in my experience when compared) the 940 doesn't scale that impressively compared to the differences I heard with the SP-1

All I can say is both I and a friend (who knew nothing of audio equipment) independently confirmed the SRH940 sounds significantly better from my NFB12 than my macbook.

Also... on another topic:

I just recently tried toying with a small bass boost with EQ for the SRH940. I got it just right, giving it an almost warm but not too bassy sound -- and it is REALLY nice. I get the bass quantity of HD650s (although the quality has a few minor shortcomings vs the HD650), plus the SRH940's incredibly detailed highs. Right now I'm enjoying these even more than my HD650s for an all around headphone, but it may wear off over time (nice thing about EQ = FOTM any time you want at no charge!)

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2,990 of 3,855

Quote:
All I can say is both I and a friend (who knew nothing of audio equipment) independently confirmed the SRH940 sounds significantly better from my NFB12 than my macbook.

Same for me, from going from onboard realtek, to xonar stx. The sound is just more interesting on a xonar stx. I  think the srh940 are worth their price only when using a   "good source". What "good source" is, I'm not sure, but the xonar stx is certainly a good one for the srh940.

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #2,991 of 3,855

Quote:
Pardon my bad grammar and spelling im typing this from my iPhone. I find anyone who claims these to be any good laughable. After further listening and comparing even my $100 m50 sound much better. No I'm not complaining about lack of bass it's the vocals. The presentation of vocals on these are just atrocious. I don't know why people consider this their strong point. I am going to say these are about 2x over priced. What happened shure? Before anyone claims I was a huge lover consider this. I was until I did further comparisons between everything else I own. The only headphones I have which performed worse were some $70 pioneer headphones. I am appalled by the value of these headphones. My rant is over. Heck I prefer my ms1 over these by a long shot.

Say what? How is it that at one moment you think the 940's are the BEST cans you've heard and that they were even better than the 840's, and then the next it's the complete opposite, mainly being one of the WORST headphones you've heard? I mean, impressions for a headphone change...but I didn't think they could change THAT drastically.
confused_face.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #2,992 of 3,855

Quote:
Of course the SRH940 is colored. I have no issues with it. Also I love the fact that it's ridiculously detailed, and to me that makes vocals, violin, etc. sound much more realistic than anything else. Yes, the coloration makes a few things sound a bit "off" versus my HD650s which are quite natural sounding IMO. However the HD650s lack of treble detail fails to suspend disbelief that what I'm listening to is real life.

This is my findings:

Neutral-o-meter : (10/10 is neutral, 0/10 is super coloured)
SRH940: 5/10
DT880: 8/10 (just a tad bright)
HD600: 9/10
HD650: 5-6/10
HTF600 (just for fun) : 3-4/10

Natura-o-meter: (10/10 is completely natural, 0/10 is fake and completely unrealistic)
SRH940: 5/10
DT880: 7/10
HD600: 8-9/10
HD650: 7-8/10 (it's probably a nine when the veil is lifted)
HTF600: 4-5/10

Imo, the SRH940 has a lot of treble and at times sound completely unnatural. YMMV

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #2,994 of 3,855

Quote:
Say what? How is it that at one moment you think the 940's are the BEST cans you've heard and that they were even better than the 840's, and then the next it's the complete opposite, mainly being one of the WORST headphones you've heard? I mean, impressions for a headphone change...but I didn't think they could change THAT drastically.
confused_face.gif

Well I trust my ears. They say the vocals on these are terrible. If you want to argue against that go ahead. They sound fake and i don't know how to explain it. Kind of like listening to someone talk with ear plugs in.

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #2,996 of 3,855

Quote:
He hath joined the dark side. 
evil_smiley.gif

But in all seriousness, for classical it's a no no. 

The issue i have is my $100 m50s sound superior to these and i paid $300 for the srh940.

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #2,997 of 3,855
Well I trust my ears.

If you really trust your ears, then how do you explain the vast change in your opinion of the SRH940? You can't -- you must either admit your ears were wrong then, or wrong now -- they can't both be right. And since you admit that your ear was "wrong" once, then you can't really say with so much certainty what you hear right now, can you?

You're just finding that you prefer the sound signature of other headphones. Try comparing the others you mention in a precise treble detail comparison. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #2,998 of 3,855

Quote:
The issue i have is my $100 m50s sound superior to these and i paid $300 for the srh940.

Welll, using my crappy onboard realtek soundcard, it's disturbing to see how my ksc75 sounds good, compared to my srh940. And they cost only 12$.
I'm not saying that the ksc75 are as good, but I'd expect a  much bigger gap.
If I only got my onboard soundcard to test my srh940, I would think the srh940 is a rip-off.
Fortunately, that's an other story with the xonar stx,  the srh940 are much more convincing.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #2,999 of 3,855

Quote:
It's amped out of a fiio e7 and it gets pretty damn loud.

Before judging the SRH-940 as bad any more, you should seriously try several different sources and amps. When I had the E7 I felt it was making ALL my headphones brighter than they should be. There's some silly people who believe in amp burn-in. I didn't burn it in and I won't go there. I was shocked at how weird it make some of my headphones sound. The E9 + E7 was a double whammy for me and I hated that combo. The E9 itself didn't cause the issue.

I think this is why the E10 + E9 combo should be better for SOME headphones than the E7+E9. E7 + E9 I think would be bad for very bright headphones. Maybe not. Seems to be best for darker headphones IMO.

It's all about synergy I guess. For example, with the wrong amp/dac I can make my DJ100 sound like garbage if I wanted. Just give it warm amp and dac and I'll hate it. Same with my HD-598.

I must be crazy because I actually think my Ipod touch 2G has somewhat edgy treble. Don't know why. I hate it as a source.

Try to find a very neutral source such as the Clip. E7 didn't sound neutral to me, but I seem to be the only one who thinks this! Hated the treble on the E7.

E7's amp is pretty weak too it seems. Seems similar to the E5 but just includes a DAC. Despite crappy measurements, I much prefer my Nuforce Icon mobile to the E7 by far.

I had all this experience with my HD-650. When trying out many sources and amps it's possible to actually like that headphone
biggrin.gif
It's almost as picky as my Q701!

BTW I bet the SRH-940 sounds amazing out of the E11. Anyone tried it? I use the SRH-940 with my Headroom Micro Amp. Pretty much a perfect combo.

I'm not a huge fan of the SRH-940, but it is a good headphone. Yes, I do think there are headphones under $250 that are far better

HD-598, DJ100 and KRK KNS-8400 are what I prefer. I'd probably take the SRH-940 over the M50 though
normal_smile%20.gif

Basically the only reason I don't have the SRH-940 is that I'm too cheap and already have two amazing closed headphones and only one head.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #3,000 of 3,855

Quote:

Have you tried a different amp?  My 940 also sounded strange with the e7 i tried it with.  
Anyone tried the 940 with an O2?  I might end up buying one later on, im guessing it will pair well since the neutrality of the O2 makes it pair well with most anything, or so ive heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back