Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Mar 31, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #3,766 of 3,855
I have Tralucent T1, I prefer not using it with my SHR940. The best source/synergy from my inventory for the 940 is iBasso DX50 on medium gain straight from headphone out. Sounds better with the Shure than both my Studio V units or any amp I have.

Is it just me who's not noticing much difference when paired up with the t1?
& why do you not prefer the t1 to be paired up with the 940?

And lastly, do you think that 940s don't benefit much from amping?

Thanks for your input

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #3,768 of 3,855
I used to use a fiio e11 for my 940s. Then upgraded to the e17. Both made significant improvements overall. Buy when I got the magni it was just too bright. Any warmish amp should be good. Even if it's low power. I'm guessing a neutral amp would be good to. The magni is just on the bright side so that's not ideal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #3,769 of 3,855
I've had the SRH 940s for a few months now, and wow am I impressed. Yes, at first they did sound very harsh in the treble, but only because I was coming from the AKG K240 Studios, which now to my ears are too boomy in the bass, and not enough detail in the treble. I find these more fun to listen to then the Beyer DT880s.

Also, I recommend trying the 940s with some vintage gear if you have it. They sound magical with my Nakamichi setup. I was listening to classical music with them just now, and the double basses and the violins sounded REAL, it kind of startled me a little in certain parts of the piece haha.

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #3,770 of 3,855
  I've had the SRH 940s for a few months now, and wow am I impressed. Yes, at first they did sound very harsh in the treble, but only because I was coming from the AKG K240 Studios, which now to my ears are too boomy in the bass, and not enough detail in the treble. I find these more fun to listen to then the Beyer DT880s.

Also, I recommend trying the 940s with some vintage gear if you have it. They sound magical with my Nakamichi setup. I was listening to classical music with them just now, and the double basses and the violins sounded REAL, it kind of startled me a little in certain parts of the piece haha.

+1 for vintage gears. I tried a old vintage receiver, and it sounded so sweet. You need tube sounding amp.

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #3,774 of 3,855
If anyone is looking for a cheap but effective tube amp to warm up the sound of the SRH940 check this out http://www.ebay.com/itm/little-bear-valve-12AU7-6922-6N11-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-amp-preamplifier-P1-/291121213677?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item43c82d30ed

I can confirm that it pairs well.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #3,775 of 3,855
The SRH940 outperforms even the DT770 especially in the treble detail and treble extension.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #3,777 of 3,855
  If anyone is looking for a cheap but effective tube amp to warm up the sound of the SRH940 check this out http://www.ebay.com/itm/little-bear-valve-12AU7-6922-6N11-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-amp-preamplifier-P1-/291121213677?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item43c82d30ed

I can confirm that it pairs well.

Sold out... :frowning2:

May 3, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #3,779 of 3,855
Hi guys!

I've had the SRH 750DJ for 2 years and I thought of the SRH 940 as an upgrade (I'm also using cans for my mastering sessions) to get a more neutral and flaws-finding friend. It seems like the cracks are a problem with it, and I know what causes it to break because the 750DJ has the same headband style. The thing is that I kinda solved that with my 750DJ by bending its headband everyday from time to time. Now there's less pressure on my ears and I never had any cracks forming. Did anyone try that ? (I'm sure someone did but I couldn't find anyone talking about this solution in the threads I went through)

Also, couldn't choose which thread to post in between this and the cracks problem thread, move my post please if I'm in the wrong ^^

May 3, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #3,780 of 3,855
  Hi guys!

I've had the SRH 750DJ for 2 years and I thought of the SRH 940 as an upgrade (I'm also using cans for my mastering sessions) to get a more neutral and flaws-finding friend. It seems like the cracks are a problem with it, and I know what causes it to break because the 750DJ has the same headband style. The thing is that I kinda solved that with my 750DJ by bending its headband everyday from time to time. Now there's less pressure on my ears and I never had any cracks forming. Did anyone try that ? (I'm sure someone did but I couldn't find anyone talking about this solution in the threads I went through)

Also, couldn't choose which thread to post in between this and the cracks problem thread, move my post please if I'm in the wrong ^^

You will lose bass if you have lower clamping pressure though due to having a poorer seal.
And nah we're not too fussy I think, as long as you don't go talking about something completely different like beats you should be fin^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back