Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jun 11, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #436 of 3,855
yeah but those graphs can only tell you so much.
I can't believe they sound that good unamped.
wow.
my 840s dont sound bad unamped, but its very noticable to me the difference between amped and unamped on them.
either way.
im now torn between DT880 32 ohm or these here 940s

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #437 of 3,855
940's Amped vs un-amped: There is a definite increase in clarity in the upper mid-range and punch in the lows (along with more volume) with an amp on the 940's, however un-amped (computer and MP3) the 940's sound very good. Un-amped, the 940's have the presence and volume of my AKG 271's through a decent headphone amp, but sound much better with a more stable and up front mid-range than the 271's. Amped the 940's really compete with the best systems I have heard. I don't have enough amp to drive my K701's or HD650's as good as a decent amp drives the 940's.

HF peak: The HF peak in the 940's is well into the 10,000K area, and that is almost all upper transients and "air". I think the peak helps explain why the 940's sound like open headphones even though they are a closed design. That type of peak is also seen in "Studio Reference" monitor speakers and is helpful when fixing timing issues in multitrack recordings.  It also makes reverb and delay tails stand out just enough for adjustment.
-my 2c

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #438 of 3,855
So far it seems like every SRH-940 owner here on head-fi has been drooling over these headphones.

I need to wipe a bit off my shirt myself.  My only complaint that remains is the headband, because I really find it uncomfortable.  That being said, I have no problem sucking it up for how awesome everything else about this headphone is!

I personally find that they really utilize amplification, but as others have stated still sounds "good" without one.

I find the 940 (amped via FiiO e7/e9 combo) to be more forgiving than my SP-1 (GMP450/QP450 hybrid) with regard to bitrate and just overall recording quality of the music.  Weirdly I find my SP-1 to be much more analytical and the SRH-940 to be my go-to for just laid back listening pleasure.

In other words, if I really want to hear something specific I'll grab the SP-1 while if I just want to enjoy a giant soundstage and smooth transitions I will go for the 940s.  I still think both are probably "analytical" I just think the SP-1 has a more clinical approach while the 940s have a juicer taste.  For this, the argument could be made for the SP-1 being a better studio monitor.

My SP-1s house a tad more detail in the midranges as well, but rolls off in the highs a litter sooner to my ears and this area of the frequency response is so well controlled and extended in the 940s.  I find both headphones to be detail monsters.

The SP-1 is also a more expensive headphone and potentially a lot pickier about amplification (not suggesting these are related), since the ongoing thread regarding the GMP450 PRO as well as headfonia's review of the German Maestro line contains some mixed opinions.

SRH-940 more than just a flavor of the month? I'm beginning to think so.

Jun 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #439 of 3,855
Quote:
I need to wipe a bit off my shirt myself.  My only complaint that remains is the headband, because I really find it uncomfortable.  That being said, I have no problem sucking it up for how awesome everything else about this headphone is!

That's what my initial complaint was as well. At first, I really couldn't get over how weird it felt on my head, and I couldn't wear it for more than a half an hour. But now when I put it on my head, I don't even notice until about half and hour. I wore them for about two hours straight last night, adjusting it once or twice. It's no where near the best headband, but it's not in the realms of the worst either, but it is below average. Still though, I'm becoming more and more used to it, and it's not bugging me as much as it used to. At least it looks cool!

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #440 of 3,855
Well, just got done with my last HE-4 vs HE-500 music comparison tonight. But I decided to throw in the SRH940 for good measure.

Holy crap, this was definitely the hardest comparison I've done. I'd be saddened to get rid of any of them, but at least 1, maybe 2 will go. HE-500 is definitely the most superior one, and will probably be the one I'm keeping. HE-4 is excellent as well, but too bright, and will definitely be leaving. The SRH940 on the other hand is closed, yet it still does incredibly well against the other two. If the HE-4 had less treble, I would take it over the SRH940, but it doesn't, so I'll take it second out of all three of these.

I think the main reason I started doubting the HE-500 against these, is because these have an insane price to performance ratio. I find it unnerving keeping a set of nearly $950, because I'm always scared something may happen to it, even though I love it the most. That's why value is one of the most important things to consider, because on value alone I'd take the SRH940 out of all three of these

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #441 of 3,855
I just tried the SRH940 at a local store and briefly AB'ed with the SRH840 on some pop music. My first impression is that SRH840 has noticeably more mid bass and sounds more colored, warmer and more fun. The SRH940 is significantly more neutral, more even in frequency response with the mid bass hump not present. The low end seemed a little lacking in definition probably because the source at the store isn't that great, but detail and transparency seems a notch above that of the 840s. The highs also seemed more refined, clearer and more present, but SRH840 was really no slouch at all by comparison and certainly worth its price too IMO.

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #442 of 3,855
Review posted --
Check signature for a quick link.

I now open the doors to more discussion, thoughts, criticism, etc.

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #443 of 3,855

Quote:
Review posted --

First up - great review - very well written!

I know the E7 is not the greatest amp (I own one - mainly for the DAC) - but I'm wondering - just paired with the E7 and DAP - how do they sound with 1 notch of bass boost?  Reason I ask is that the bass boost on the E11 is a lot better than E7 - seems to target bass only and not bleeding into the mids.  I am very interested in these cans (own the SRH840), and just wondering if a touch of bass boost makes much difference?

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #444 of 3,855
Hello.!

Are you guys sure that these 940s don't need amping?!?
I'm still finding them a bit too bright and the bass lacking unless I start going
up in volume!
I know my PMPs doesn't push the greatest sound level (Archos 605 and Archos 7... yep I love Archos! :wink:)
but since the 440s were so easily driven, I thought these would be similar.

Thanks.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #445 of 3,855
Great review! I'm glad for my wallet's sake that they're out of my price range.

Sounds like they clear up my complaints with the 840's bass, which that's it seems over dampened. Graphs of the 50hz square waves seem to show the same:

Much more linear response as well.

Quote:
Review posted --

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #446 of 3,855
according to the headroom graph the shure srh940 has fixed the bass hump and tamed the treble roll off a little bit.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #447 of 3,855
imo, srh840 had enough bass for lean-listening.
they were very relaxing headphones
if 940 has even less bass...i don't know - it doesn't seem right to me
seems more like a step from audiophile cans towards studio cans.

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #448 of 3,855
Nothing wrong with a bit more "honest" bass. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #449 of 3,855

Quote:
imo, srh840 had enough bass for lean-listening.
they were very relaxing headphones
if 940 has even less bass...i don't know - it doesn't seem right to me
seems more like a step from audiophile cans towards studio cans.

You can always EQ that bass up.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #450 of 3,855
EQ would ruin all my efforts with getting the best timed and truest digital output from my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back