Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jun 10, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #421 of 3,855

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Guys, just received my pair of SRH940s and me and a friend spent an hour comparing it with the Alessandro MS2s. We plugged em both into my HUD-MX1 together and switched headphones to make a comparison.

Our first impression was that at the same volume at which i listen to the MS2s (bout 10-11 o clock), the 940s sounded distant and a little recessed. The MS2, in comparison had more punch in terms of bass and treble. We were both a little shocked at what a stark difference it was. However after turning the volume (bout 12-1 o clock) the 940s started to open up. and sound alot more alive. Still didnt quite have the impact that the MS2s had though, and at that volume, hissing from tracks became more obvious and the 940 started to leak sound through the velour pads. That said, the mids on the 940s without burn in, easily trumped the MS2s, voices had alot more depth to them, only catch was that more volume was required to drive them to that sweet spot.

Any of you guys own both headphones and have thoughts on this? I'm guessing the 940s still need to be burnt in and they are meant to sound more neutral than the MS2s. I'm a little surprised by how much i prefer the 'fun' sound to a more 'netural' one though. I'm guessing i'm too used to my MS2s

If you like the grado sound, or any heavily colored sound signature, Shures will not be your cup of tea as they are the complete opposite. That's why there are so many headphones out there! Personally, I grew tired of grados (look at my sig), and found them to be painfully fatiguing and the neutral open sound of Shures was like angels singing. But, we all hear differently and that's what makes this hobby so much fun. I hope wherever you got them from has a good return policy.

I spose ur rightI Just cross checked it with my SE535s though, the 535s sound a lot more forward than these babies. That said, it may not be a fun sound, but i'm pretty sure it is accurate. I just plugged it into my ipod +IQube and immediately could hear the difference in the Ipod DAC vs the MX-1 DAC. The former's bass came off distorted in comparison with the latter's. This difference wasn't that obvious on my MS2s, you can tell the 940s were built for reference.

I'll probably hold on to them for awhile to burn them in and find more nuances in my equipment. 

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #422 of 3,855
EDIT: These are now in my "Top 3 Full Sized Headphones" of all time. With the other two being the HE-500 and probably HD598. 

Quote:
Quote:
Alright, just got these a few moments ago, and I've been able to try them out!

First off, the build is exceptional considering it's all plastic. Very detailed, very sleek, and very clean. No complaints.

Comfort on the ears is very good. Comfort on the head, not so much. Right away the headband irritated me, but by the end of my first song, it wasn't nearly as noticeable. Now that I have them off my head and typing this, I feel like there is an indent in my head, and it kinda hurts. Hopefully, it will improve with a bit of stretching over time?

Sound wise, they definitely exceed my expectations. It's safe for me to say, IF the bass pulls itself together after burn in, these will be hands down in my Top 5 favorite headphones of all time, and possibly my favorite closed. There is just something special about the sound I cannot put my finger on. It just sounds good. It's extremely neutral and very, very detailed. It's a clean sound, without the fatigue. Like mentioned, the bass isn't cutting it though. It bottoms out way too early and has nearly no impact at the moment. I guess it would be good for monitoring? Well, as mentioned by others, if the bass picks up during and after burn in, then these will be flat out awesome!

Glad you're enjoying them! They do indeed sound very special, and don't worry about the bass, it does come in very nicely. How would you compare them to your other headphones that you have or have had?

I played Bad Company 2 for 5 hours with them yesterday (not in a row, my head wouldn't take it) and the bass already seems to be coming out more. Then last night, I stuck them to my MP3 and am playing more bass oriented music. I let than run for 20 hours and then I'll take another listen. Comfort does seem to be getting a bit better, and I have to adjust them every hour or so due to the headband, but it's not that big of a deal. I'm loving the noise isolation though, something I a open headphone fan never experiences.

In fact, I did a few song comparison with the HE-500 last night, and these two sound more the same than different. The HE-500 is still darker and smoother. But overall, I honestly am having a hard time picking a favorite. If the bass comes in on the 940, that may be the tipping point. I'm sorry, but with how amazing these things are doing, then why would I want to keep a $900 headphone? I dunno, we'll see. I'll finish my comparison before anything drastic happens, but that's if something drastic does happen.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #423 of 3,855
Wow, that's some very high praise comparing it to the HE-500.  It looks like it may end being a real steal at its 300 dollar price point.

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #424 of 3,855
Well I went ahead and bought a pair of SRH940s from Earphone Solutions, despite my SRH840s hitting my left earlobe a bit on the inside of the earcup.  I figured that is probably a personal problem I will get with most headphones.
smile.gif
  Sure (Shure?) enough, these 940s do the same thing, as expected.

I have to say these things rock!  The 840s have fantastic sound and these are even better.  They sound great right out of the headphone jack on my Sony laptop, then sound even a little better across the spectrum with my NG98 DAC+amp.  But that is likely more due to my hearing - everything sounds better a little louder these days. 

Right out of the headphone jack the volume level depends a lot on the source material, of course.  For example, listening to a "B.O.B" - Airplanes" video I actually had to turn the volume slider in Windows down by about 1/3.  But then with a "Jessie J. Price Tag" video I had to run the slider all the way up.  At that level the volume was just right though.  Plugged into the headphone amp I could blast them at any level I wanted with no ill effects on the sound.

Here are some specific thoughts on the 940s vs. 840s:

* I love the straight cord!  Coiled cords always drive me nuts.  The 940 comes with both, of course, so to each their own.  

* Both cords still have the 90 degree twist lock on the headphone end and screw thread barrel on the business end that the 840 cord has.  I like that feature, especially with a coiled cord's propensity to put spring tension on the ends and rip plugs out of jacks when you have that occasional long stretch.

* I also love the hardshell case these come with.  What a great idea.  Shure essentially replaced the egg carton packing in the box with this molded hardcase.  Note that it is only "hard" in the sense that similar molded CD cases are these days, still flexible but just molded.  If there is one thing my 840s needed was a dust cover.  Now these have it.  The case holds the earpads, adapters, and even that coiled cord (boo) so everything is right there.  Shure was probably able to invest part of what they saved in the egg carton stuff into the hardshell.

* The better pads are great!  Don't cause sweat around the pads like the plastic ones did.

* Much better look to have the wires going to the cups concealed.   I never did like that look on the 840s.

* More robust detents on earcup adjustments.  This is the one thing I would have really considered a bit of a design flaw on the 840s.  When you pull the earcups down from the band there is a small but almost non-existent detent there to keep the setting in place - so it doesn't.  The earcups would often go out or in when I took them off.  These 940s have much more of a robust detent to keep the setting in place.

So far I've only found one thing with the 940s that I would consider a design flaw.  You can't close the hardshell case (zip it up) with the straight cord attached to the phones.  The connector sticks out too far.  So you either have to leave the case unzipped (what I will be doing) or remove the cord from the phones each time.

I'm also not really a fan of the common ground wire in either the 840s or the 940s.  I wish they used a 4 pin plug at the headphone end rather 3, ran 4 wires down the cable, then tied the grounds together at the 3.5mm mini plug end.  Any tiny amount of crosstalk due to the small common-ground-wire voltage drop from channel A appearing on channel B would be eliminated. That would also open up the possibility of making these balanced, either by a mod or by design, by putting a double mini XLR at the other end. They could come up with a  connector / adapter that converted the 4 pins to 3 for  3.5mm TRS by connecting the grounds in the adapter.  But I guess that is a small thing overall and probably is the same as many other headphones.

I was seriously looking at the Denons as an altermative to the 940s until I started reading all the posts on the net about broken screws.   I'm glad I went with the Shures again.   Build quality seems great from what I can tell.  Earphone Solutions has lightning-fast shipping BTW!  I only ordered these a couple of days ago.

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #425 of 3,855
Just a quick question for SRH940 owners:

If you look at the shiny silver part on the earcups at an angle under light, do you notice scratch like marks in a circular pattern? For a second, I thought it was all scratched up, but it appears to be under the outer coating. Just wanted to make sure this is part of the design and that I didn't get a cosmetically defective unit.

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #426 of 3,855

If you look at the shiny silver part on the earcups at an angle under light, do you notice scratch like marks in a circular pattern? For a second, I thought it was all scratched up, but it appears to be under the outer coating. Just wanted to make sure this is part of the design and that I didn't get a cosmetically defective unit.

That's actually just the design of the logo. All of my Shure headphones (save for the SRH240's cheap looking dipped chrome) have this. Yours are fine! I'm glad you're enjoying them. These are my favorite headphones of all time, you couldn't ask for more. Electrostatic like highs, open headphone soundstage, closed headphone privacy, easy to drive as grados and very comfortable... And all this for $300?

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #427 of 3,855
Quote:
Quote:

That's actually just the design of the logo. All of my Shure headphones (save for the SRH240's cheap looking dipped chrome) have this. Yours are fine! I'm glad you're enjoying them. These are my favorite headphones of all time, you couldn't ask for more. Electrostatic like highs, open headphone soundstage, closed headphone privacy, easy to drive as grados and very comfortable... And all this for $300?

Okay, whew. Just making sure.

To tell you the truth, these just may be my favorite headphones of all time as well. They are going head to head against my HE-500 with ease, and that was nearly out of the box! We'll see tonight as I do a more complete comparison, as well as finishing off my HE-4 vs HE-500 comparing. I cannot believe these are outdoing my entire system! And I'm not even amping them. (Not that they need one).

Soundstage is incredible for a closed headphone, and I'm not getting that nasty claustrophobic feel like I did with closed headphones in the past. Everything just sounds amazingly clean. I am absolutely loving them! And I'm really glad they came with a spare set of earpads, something I didn't expect. Now, I really have no worries about these at all. The "closed" factor is excellent as well, as I finally can enjoy the privacy. Extra noise isolation is a bonus too! But I'll tell you what, I am seriously over joyed to be getting more privacy in my music, movies, and games. I knew there was a reason I loved closed headphones in the past, I just couldn't live with the collapsed soundstage. Don't have to worry about that with these.

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #428 of 3,855

To tell you the truth, these just may be my favorite headphones of all time as well. They are going head to head against my HE-500 with ease, and that was nearly out of the box! We'll see tonight as I do a more complete comparison, as well as finishing off my HE-4 vs HE-500 comparing. I cannot believe these are outdoing my entire system! And I'm not even amping them. (Not that they need one).

Soundstage is incredible for a closed headphone, and I'm not getting that nasty claustrophobic feel like I did with closed headphones in the past. Everything just sounds amazingly clean. I am absolutely loving them! And I'm really glad they came with a spare set of earpads, something I didn't expect. Now, I really have no worries about these at all. The "closed" factor is excellent as well, as I finally can enjoy the privacy. Extra noise isolation is a bonus too! But I'll tell you what, I am seriously over joyed to be getting more privacy in my music, movies, and games. I knew there was a reason I loved closed headphones in the past, I just couldn't live with the collapsed soundstage. Don't have to worry about that with these.

I feel the exact same way, I used to hate closed headphones... Now I wouldn't have it any other way. Listening currently to Silversun Pickups and it's seriously almost a religious experience on these. I haven't found any genre they don't do perfectly with. I also agree that they beat out amped high end headphones, straight out of a dap like an iPad or iPod and there is something so comforting about not having to fuss with amps to make them sound absolutely incredible. Thank you Shure!

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #429 of 3,855

Quote:
I feel the exact same way, I used to hate closed headphones... Now I wouldn't have it any other way. Listening currently to Silversun Pickups and it's seriously almost a religious experience on these. I haven't found any genre they don't do perfectly with. I also agree that they beat out amped high end headphones, straight out of a dap like an iPad or iPod and there is something so comforting about not having to fuss with amps to make them sound absolutely incredible. Thank you Shure!

Exactly! That alone could be the tipping point for me taking these over the HE-500, but I have a feeling the sound will do me over.

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #430 of 3,855

Exactly! That alone could be the tipping point for me taking these over the HE-500, but I have a feeling the sound will do me over.

Yeah, I used to have a "listening station" where my amp, dac, and headphones were all hooked up and ready to go. But for me, I think it kind of defeats the purpose of headphones. How nice is it to have a pair of headphones sound absolutely awesome straight out of an iPad while sitting on the couch surfing the net? Try doing that with a pair of T1's or even an Orpheus. Lol

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #431 of 3,855
Hello everyone.
Thanks to all on this site for providing such good information.  
I also want to say thanks to the early reviewers on this thread for helping me pull the trigger on these headphones.

Most of this has already been said but here is my 2 cents;
I have had the SRH 940's for almost two weeks and the more I listen, the more impressed I become. I initially bought these as just one more set of headphones to listen to and evaluate my music through, but they have truly stopped me in my tracks. They are VERY analytical while still being enjoyable to listen to. They don't take a mega-amp to drive them. I find them comfortable enough to wear for several hours at a time. They are easily the most versatile headphones I have used and handle all types of material well. They have a great wide "front row" sound stage. I have several sets of studio monitors and hi-end speakers I use in my studio and am not easily impressed but I am very pleased with the 940's performance. Also, with use the lower frequencies are becoming punchier and more full. I have about 30 hours on mine and at very first I might have said they were too flat or very slightly bass light, but I find the balance perfect now. They definitely tell the truth and don't hide bad recordings. Bass light recordings are bass light, properly balanced recordings are full and well balanced. I could go on and on, these are great and rival my best studio monitors in the level of detail they reproduce. Very nice and well worth the 300.00 price tag.

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #432 of 3,855

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I used to have a "listening station" where my amp, dac, and headphones were all hooked up and ready to go. But for me, I think it kind of defeats the purpose of headphones. How nice is it to have a pair of headphones sound absolutely awesome straight out of an iPad while sitting on the couch surfing the net? Try doing that with a pair of T1's or even an Orpheus. Lol

With a sensitivity of 100 dB/mw and 42 ohms impedance, they should be as easy to drive as Grados (98 dB/mw, 32ohms), if not slightly more efficient, I think.

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #433 of 3,855
ok let me cut to the chase. does the shure srh940 fix the peak in the higher frequencies problem. that peak in the highs drives me nuts on my shure srh840 and i wouldn't purchase the srh940 one day if the peak wasn't fixed. i need a frequency graph.

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #434 of 3,855
Quote:
Nice, I've been waiting for that. Comparison with 840:

Which pretty much perfectly sums up what I've heard so far.

Quote:
ok let me cut to the chase. does the shure srh940 fix the peak in the higher frequencies problem. that peak in the highs drives me nuts on my shure srh840 and i wouldn't purchase the srh940 one day if the peak wasn't fixed. i need a frequency graph.

Did you miss the graphs earlier?  Tyll has them both at his new site.

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #435 of 3,855

Users who are viewing this thread

Back