Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jan 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,091 of 3,855
miceblue: Don't worry, it's covered. They don't even require proof of purchase, because they can determine if it's under warranty by the serial number. I called them and they just said sent it in with a form included, and they'll repair it pretty much no questions asked. One very good thing about Shure is a very good warranty.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #3,092 of 3,855

Quote:
 They don't even require proof of purchase, because they can determine if it's under warranty by the serial number.

Meh, I  never got the original packaging of my srh940, because I  got it with the help of friend that travels , and he was afraid of the customs service of my country. So I  don't have the serial number anyway.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3,093 of 3,855

Quote:
EDIT: I checked out the track and it seems just fine? I can hear everything perfectly clear and with great detail?

Well ok, there 's a melodic line at  let's say 2 min, and I  found it too much subdued. That doesn't mean you can't hear it, if you pay attention....
The same melodic line you can hear very clearly at begin of tune, because there's not much percussion.

Anyway,  I've just  modded my headphones , and I  think they are much better  overall. Better bass, better resolution, well better overall.
Just by using a rope to increase depth of each ear cup
atsmile.gif
. My little regret is that the bass is more forward, but  it's a matter of taste and that's fine. They KILL  now my hd595, and I   don't think that's too much demanding , when you consider the price difference.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #3,094 of 3,855
They specifically told me to send it back without accessories and without any packaging, so I'd imagine the serial number is somewhere on the headphone itself. Anyway, I don't know really. Whatever works.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #3,096 of 3,855

Quote:
They specifically told me to send it back without accessories and without any packaging, so I'd imagine the serial number is somewhere on the headphone itself. Anyway, I don't know really. Whatever works.

As far as I know, they are not serialized because if you look at the new SRH1840 or 1440 pages, they mention one of the feature as "individually tested and serialized" whereas all the other ones did not mention that. I'm sure if they were serialized, they would've mentioned it already as a bragging rights for stricter quality control.

And if I may ask, what happened to the headphone that you need to send it back for?

dL

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #3,099 of 3,855
Hey everyone,

Just received the SRH940 as a gift, and am really enjoying re-listening to a lot of my music! Before, my primary experience was with some Denon AH-D1001 headphones that emphasized bass a little too much for my liking. I find the Shures a lot more balanced and actually easier for me to listen to for longer periods of time!

I am looking for some new equipment to help these headphones sound their best. I am going to buy the iBasso D7 for exclusive use at home listening to high-res music downloads on my PC, but was thinking of getting an amplifier for use at the office with my iPod and line-out dock.

Can you all recommend any amps that you feel match up well to the 940s? I would like the amp to cost ~$200 +/-$50, and have a suitably low output impedance. Some of the FiiO products seem to have output impedances that wouldn't mesh well with the 42 ohm impedance of the Shures. I was looking at maybe the iBasso T5 and JDSLabs Objective2, but am open to other suggestions as well. Not sure if I should go cheaper (Headroom Airhead?) or if these phones benefit from a stronger amp as well.

Thanks all!

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #3,101 of 3,855
Just wanted to note, the JDSLabs O2 is NOT really that portable! You'll be carrying a brick! :wink: I did paired my 940s with the JDSLabs CmoyBB and it was a GREAT combination.

(and agree with Driver 8's comment.!)

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #3,102 of 3,855
Hey everyone,

Just received the SRH940 as a gift, and am really enjoying re-listening to a lot of my music! Before, my primary experience was with some Denon AH-D1001 headphones that emphasized bass a little too much for my liking. I find the Shures a lot more balanced and actually easier for me to listen to for longer periods of time!

I am looking for some new equipment to help these headphones sound their best. I am going to buy the iBasso D7 for exclusive use at home listening to high-res music downloads on my PC, but was thinking of getting an amplifier for use at the office with my iPod and line-out dock.

Can you all recommend any amps that you feel match up well to the 940s? I would like the amp to cost ~$200 +/-$50, and have a suitably low output impedance. Some of the FiiO products seem to have output impedances that wouldn't mesh well with the 42 ohm impedance of the Shures. I was looking at maybe the iBasso T5 and JDSLabs Objective2, but am open to other suggestions as well. Not sure if I should go cheaper (Headroom Airhead?) or if these phones benefit from a stronger amp as well.

Thanks all!

You don't seem to need a portable amp, just transportable, if that is right, the O2 would be perfect.

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #3,103 of 3,855
To those who think the SRH940 has high quality bass competing with HD650 and above, I'd recommend you play a frequency response sweep from 20hz - 20khz. On my HD650 the entire bass spectrum sounds entirely natural, effortless, and uncolored. The SRH940 however seems to greatly distort bass in such a way that it sounds "reverby" or "plastickey" or remarkably "in your head". Another interesting thing is the SRH940 bass sounds like it's between your ears in your brain, until it sweeps up to the mids where the sound slowly moves outside of your head. The HD650 consistently stays out of the inside of your head -- at least relatively speaking (obviously never outside-of-the-head like good speakers).

I think in some cases the reverb-ey between-your-ears sound of the SRH940 is kind of interesting and actually sounds good on some music. Ultimately though I think this may be a major source of the coloration I identified earlier.

On the "bright" side -- the SRH940 does quite nicely above 10khz, where the HD650 rolls off (which many people prefer, because it smoothes over bad recordings).

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #3,104 of 3,855
The THD+N vs frequency tells the story...

650, 940

Having not heard the Shures myself, I'd guess the weird hump in the mid bass distortion is some sort of enclosure resonance or something.  People have reported god results mass damping them and I'd imagine that's why.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #3,105 of 3,855
For me the srh940 sound veiled compared to when I  mod them (increasing depth of cups). Much more clarity at least for the mids.
So you guess I keep them modded.  Perhaps the low bass is  reverby (below 60 hz) , I admit that when I  boost it with an eq , this affects the clarity.
It's hard to tell if the sound is inside or a bit outside when I  run a sine  sweep.  But for a 40 sec sine swipe (generated with soundforge)  , from 20hz to 20khz, I  can say that sound come from outside at 10-11 sec.

EDIT: and by the way, the sine sweep is a mono source, I'm not sure the most natural sensation would be from the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back