Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jan 14, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #3,046 of 3,855

Quote:

It's the second time that bcasey has been banned, but hopefully this is temporary. Kiteki was banned at least once too. But it's against TOS  to discuss reasons of banning ...
biggrin.gif

Actually there is nothing in the TOS mentioning that.  You can't post on behalf of banned members - but there is nothing in there about what you mentioned.

Anyway - enough O.T. - please return to SRH940 discussion.

Tdockweiller - I'm surprised you found the HD600 grainy.  If anything I'd apply that to the HD598 - ie being a  little more 'peaky' sometimes.  I agree that the HD598 is about as close as Sennheiser will get to the SRH940 (with their mid-range gear).  The HD598 was (to me) forward on the mids, bass was definitely not prominent, and they were reasonably bright.  I guess if you did find the HD600 boring, the HD598 would definitely be more your taste.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #3,050 of 3,855
I didn't quite say that.  I said the 598 is the closest can in Senns mid-fi range to the 940.  IMO they are quite a bit apart.  I'd take the 598's any day over the 940's - but then again I didn't like the 940's 
wink.gif
.  I could live with the HD598s.  But HD600s are king of balance in mid-fi world for me :)

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #3,052 of 3,855
The key thing I'm looking for that my HD650 doesn't have is 10+khz. That's really high, and I suspect most people don't even care about that region (I say this because everyone said the DT880 was bright and had great highs, when in reality I found them worse than my HD650). Would the HD598 really have better 10+khz than HD650s?

Honestly I don't really care so much any more. I'm probably going to sell my SRH940, simply because as I mentioned before it doesn't fit my head. What I do with that extra money, I'm not sure. Maybe I can upgrade my amp or something for my HD650, in preparation for an HD800 or SRH1840 in the future (and to better drive my HD650s).

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #3,053 of 3,855
So has anyone compared the 940 and T50RP yet!?

Didn't do a direct A/B but at the OC meet there were a pair of T50rp. There isn't a lot to compare about them, they aren't in the same league. The T50rp are bottom heavy and really lush sounding and full but lack some upper range energy. They are pretty much opposite. They are great for their own purposes.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #3,054 of 3,855
I have now listened to the SRH940 with the UDAC2, E10 and E10+E9 and would like to share some impressions between different amps.

No DAC/AMP (straight out of iPod):

- Decent sound signature. The Shure lacks punch and dynamic, especially on the low end. The mids are totally fine. The treble is detailed!

I think the signature is coloured towards the bright side a bit. I wouldn't say there is a mid bass hole but certainly there isn't a lot. Overall, it sounds cold but thanks to the really forward and lush mid, it overpowers the lack of mid bass area by providing sort-of warm sound signature. Hence, some people say it's kinda warm but not really but it sort of is at the end. The highs are the specialty of this headphone and it definitely reveals a lot of detail. I wouldn't say it is too trebly to the point it is sibilant but it is definitely pushing there, and if you have a bad recording or a song that just begs for sibilance, then you will hear it.

By default, the SRH940 isn't the most comfortable and relaxing headphone to listen to as it throws details at you a lot. It has a combination of warmth, analytical and musical (thanks to the low extension bass punch where the song has it). But overall, I see why people wouldn't like it as much as say HD595 or Q701 because it is quite tiring to listen to over time. It is similar to staring at a computer or TV screen at 100% brightness. Yes, it looks better as the white is whiter and the dynamic is higher but it is tiring to look at over time.

Treble heads who don't want to sacrifice punchy bass (quality not quantity) will love these, out of the box.

UDAC2:

They are not neutral. They tweak the mids and highs and make the SRH940 even brighter than it already is. It actually doesn't sound that bad as it makes the 940 even more detailed and analytical. However, it sounds too bright to the point where there isn't much depth and dynamic in the lower end. Not that there is no bass, there is! But it makes the 940 even colder than it already is. In turn, you will appreciate the detail of the music even more, but it is even more tiring to listen to as you will hear more sibilance and harsh details.

While I really enjoyed listening to the 940 on the UDAC2, it just simply gets too bright and analytical at times where I need to change the song because it is too harsh to listen to. But some songs just sound really good, but I want to listen to every song enjoyably and relax while still hear details. It's time to move on!

E10:

When i first read reviews and saw the price, I could not believe that this guy can sound better than the UDAC2. I mean, $80 vs $130? Even if it sounds better, it probably just sounds a bit better and not a whole lot of difference. Well, it turns out it doesn't actually better. BUT, this DAC/AMP is much more neutral and warm which pairs with the bright SRH940 very well. The E10 provides the much needed mid bass to bass depth and amplification that the 940 lacks. That's why some people like the SRH840 and I understand because it does sound much fuller from the low end to the mids. The E10 certainly fixes some of that, while still offering a great forward mid-range and detailed high. The high is tuned down a bit so sibilance is not as revealing, but it still sounds a bit bright on the 940 to the point where on certain songs it may sound uncomfortable.

E10+E9:

Here comes the E9. I must admit, I chose to purchase the E9 at first simply because it has a nice volume knob for me to adjust volumes easily (shame on the Audioengine A2) and because it improves the soundstage and adds more punch to the music. It is also future-proof as I can easily upgrade my DAC or harder-to-drive headphones one day in the future. The E9 is a BEAST for its price. I simply cannot believe how powerful this little guy can be. My ears will go deaf if I go any higher than 50% with low gain.

I connected a 3.5mm cable from the E10 line out to the E9's line in and went for a test.

Wait for it. SRH940 pairs exceptionally well with the E9+E10.

For those people who disliked the SRH940 because it is overly bright and lacks punch and prefers the SRH840 sound signature more, I highly suggest you give the E9+E10 a try. I'm sure there are other combos that sound just as great if not better than this, but here is my findings:

PROS:
- Much more balanced. Every range is balanced now!
- Bass now has quality and quantity. Obviously still not as much as bass head headphones, but it finally adds that lower range that is much needed for an enjoyable musical experience.
- Mid bass is here now! It actually sounds closer to the SRH840 without the overly-excessive mid bass hump. It is just enough for the lower end depth!
- Treble is detailed and comfortable to listen to, AT LAST! The treble was my favourite thing about this headphone, except when it presents sibilance in certain songs (not a lot, but on some!) No longer do I have to skip a song because it is too glaring to listen to. 
- Soundstage is even wider. Not by a lot, but separations of vocals and instruments is definitely more apparent
- Overall, it is much more relaxing to listen to. It is a perfect balance between laid-back, relax and detail, analytical experience

CONS:
- The lovely forward mid is unfortunately slightly recessed. Not a lot. Not DT990-like or K550-like but I think the reason for that is because the bass and mid bass is covering some of the crisp mids. I mean, if anyone EQ's down the bass spectrum the mids will obviously sound more forward automatically and that's basically what I think it is doing. At first, I felt disappointed as I always love mids to be the most dominant but I am starting to get used to this new balance.
- It sounds less detail. Weird eh? I don't think it is actually less detail, but because the treble is not as glaring and bright as before, my brain thinks that there is less detail. I just think because the entire sound signature has shifted towards the bass end more, you don't hear the details screaming at you anymore. This should be a great news as overly-detailed headphones can really drive one crazy over time when they want a relaxing and comfortable listening experience.

SUMMARY:
- I really think the E9+E10 (or maybe E9 + any warm DAC) made my SRH940 much more enjoyable. I think I have found the (near) perfect balance for the SRH940. It offers the bass and mid bass depth of the SRH840 while offering detail and forward treble that is not sibilant and disturbing at all. Essentially, it is a SRH840 + treble + depth. I used to think the only things that were missing in the 840, asides from comfort, are treble, detail and excessive mid-bass, and now with the SRH940 and the E9+E10 combo I have finally found it!

On a side note, if the SRH940 doesn't have those stupid bumps on the headband, then it would really be perfect haha. Thanks for reading!

Next up, I will see if the E17+E9 will improve over the E10+E9.

dL

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #3,055 of 3,855
Really eyeing the Sony MDR-Z1000.

There may be a comparison between these and the 940 potentially coming up...

I'd have to sell one off, that's for sure.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #3,056 of 3,855
I haven't used my 940s in quite a while!!!
But I still like the clarity they provide!
Paired with my JDSLabs c421 they sound GREAT! And with the Bass Boost active it is actually quite pleasant.
Still, now I'm getting used to using the Denon D5000s and these provide all that I wanted for office use... ok... almost! ;-p

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #3,057 of 3,855

Quote:
Really eyeing the Sony MDR-Z1000.

There may be a comparison between these and the 940 potentially coming up...

I'd have to sell one off, that's for sure.

Well, you also have the KRKs and although I prefer the 940s over the 8400, both of them exhibit a lot
of similarities so you could get rid of any of them two if you like the Sony ones! :wink:

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #3,059 of 3,855
I think I  found the perfect song to test the (in)famous "mid bass hole" on srh940.

Beastie Boys - Futterman's Rule

Unfortunately the video , is blocked for my country, but it might work for you:

The least I  can say, is that the bass line is weak on the srh940.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #3,060 of 3,855
The Shure SRH940 has an impedance of 42 Ohms. The E9 has an output impedance of 10 Ohms. It is therefore too high for these headphones and affects electrical damping, thus increasing perceived bass volume. Unfortunately, the general quality of the sound suffers hugely from this impedance mismatch and therefore it is not recommended to use the SRH940 with this amp. The E9 is designed to drive headphones with very high impedances of 300 ohms and up. The E7 is far more appropriate for the SRH940, since its output impedance is nearly 0. The SRH940 sounds just as 'cold' and analytical as ever with the E7 and this is good because the amp is supposed to be transparent and in this case, it is. If you want more bass from the SRH940, just use an equalizer.

Quote:
. SRH940 pairs exceptionally well with the E9+E10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back