Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Oct 7, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #1,861 of 3,855

Quote:
And, really isn't that why we all got into this crazy hobby in the first place?
biggrin.gif

That's bs, I'd rather rave about some stax, that most people can't afford.People would be envying me, and this would give me a  "snobgasm".

Just kidding.

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #1,862 of 3,855

Quote:
That's bs, I'd rather rave about some stax, that most people can't afford.People would be envying me, and this would give me a  "snobgasm".

Just kidding.

Lol, you do have some of that going around.  I believe it's called Summit-Fi.
wink_face.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #1,863 of 3,855
I quite like the idea of ranking - especially the list that Pratt had, as it gives a little insight into the sort of sound he prefers.  The first 3 give a big clue anyway.  Then if you can easily see where the member's preferences seem to lie, and they have something close to your own personal gear, you can get a feel for other stuff they may have that you were maybe considering.  It's just another bass-line that can help if you're looking for pointers.  Then you can ask the member for more info if you need to.

EG - mine would be HD600 > DT880 >Modded MS1i > SRH840 > SRH940

I tend toward a more 'natural/balanced' signature.  Doesn't mean the SRH940 isn't a good headphone - just means it doesn't suit my personal tastes.  In Pratt's list - although I'd quite like to hear one, the AKG702 was never really on my list of cans to consider owning & the proximity to the SRH940 in his list probably gives me an idea of what to expect.  Using that in combination with reviews, and then actually asking for more information begins to create a pretty good picture.

Food for thought anyway.

I like this approach of expressing personal preference. I think a lot of disagreements and newbie purchasing mistakes are based on people not recognizing that half of a headphone's sound is the way it works on your body. You can never be fully objective.

Here are my prefs for headphones I've spent considerable time with:

Sennheiser HD-650 > Denon AH-D7000 > Shure SRH940 > Grado SR60 > Shure SRH440 > Shure SRH840

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #1,864 of 3,855
Well, the other question is to what extent your ranking is influenced by the price of your headphones. Experiments have showed, that people say that wine taste better when the price increase (and when the bottle looks better too..). So , it's not just "personal preference", it's hard to remain completely honest regarding your own tastes when you see the price. And frankly when I let a friend try one of my headphones, I prefer to tell them first the price, I'm afraid to be disappointed by their opinion.

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #1,865 of 3,855

Quote:
Well, the other question is to what extent your ranking is influenced by the price of your headphones. Experiments have showed, that people say that wine taste better when the price increase (and when the bottle looks better too..). So , it's not just "personal preference", it's hard to remain completely honest regarding your own tastes when you see the price. And frankly when I let a friend try one of my headphones, I prefer to tell them first the price, I'm afraid to be disappointed by their opinion.

Understand what you're saying, and sure many people will be influenced to a certain extent.  With me - it's about the sound sig, tone, depth etc - and I don't really care about the cost.  It's why I ranked the modded MS1i above the SRH840 and SRH940 - yet it's the cheapest of the 3.

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #1,869 of 3,855

Quote:
Brooko,
Can you give me a link or tell me what was modded in that ms1 of yours?

Sure thing:
* Beyer Headband
* 4 holes vented
* Bowls added
* Aluminium cups (ex a pair of MS21) with plastic inners removed, and damped with some felt

Pics:

Have full wooden setup on the way.  Want to experiment with both wood/wood, and also wood/aluminium.  Should be interesting 
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #1,870 of 3,855

Quote:
Sure thing:
* Beyer Headband
* 4 holes vented
* Bowls added
* Aluminium cups (ex a pair of MS21) with plastic inners removed, and damped with some felt

Pics:

<snip> <snip>

Have full wooden setup on the way.  Want to experiment with both wood/wood, and also wood/aluminium.  Should be interesting 
biggrin.gif

Excellent looking mods you've got there! 

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #1,871 of 3,855

Quote:
Excellent looking mods you've got there! 

Thanks D-P.  Sounds great too.  Detailed, sparkly, beautiful mids, impressive bass - in fact if I could package this inside the SRH940 shell ....... yup - that would be a nice closed set-up, and fix what I thought was wrong with the 940 
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #1,874 of 3,855

Quote:
Thanks for posting your mods Brooko. Where in the heck did you get the ms2i shell? LOL that ms2i could have already been an upgrade in itself :)

Twinster woodied his MS2i and didn't need the aluminium shells.  So I bought them off him.  It was a bit of a gamble - but I like what they did to the mid-range (they don't look to shabby either to be honest).  Still looking forward to liberating the drivers when my woody arrives - then trying both wood/wood and wood/aluminium.  I also have a set of G-Cush, and ultimately I'd like to get something that works with the jumbos - but I suspect that I'll have to stick with the bowls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back