Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Oct 2, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #1,846 of 3,855

Quote:
My experience and opinion says they sound close to on par with the Shure 840 just voiced differently. The drivers are very similar and possibly the same. The construction of the inner cups is quite similar. Even the build quality. Since the 840 can be found for under $150 and the 940 under $200 I'd say that statement isn't far fetched. I can say they don't sound like or compete with $1k headphones. IMHO. Comparing them to headphones that have street prices between $500-$750 outclass the Shures. So you decide what that answer is.

I see. I was comparing headphones from their MSRP rather than their street price (as I usually do). That means I've listened to even fewer $150 USD headphones if you factor in street priced headphones.

Quote:
I think there might be a grip with regard to the sources. Personally I don't really listen using a very very good portable source so I'll have to check these out some other time. Anyone tried using them direct off an iDevice?

I'm listening to my 940's through my iPod Touch (2G) at the moment and they work fine volume-wise (I'm in a quiet environment, volume level 1 with a volume limit at around 45%). I couldn't tell you if an amp helps since I don't own an amp at the moment. If you're wondering, I'm listening to some 320 kbps percussion and pop tracks at the moment.

Oct 2, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #1,847 of 3,855
I wanted to compare frequency response from Innerfidelity & from Headroom.
I've scaled the curve from headroom , so that it match the scale used by innerfidelity.
So now here's both graph in a single picture (red & blue from innerfidelity , green from headroom) :

You notice that there's a big difference above 10 000 hz, but otherwise the measurements have similarities.

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #1,850 of 3,855
I notice that with loudness compressed music, there might be more fatigue than expected with the srh940 ( or maybe it's with closed headphones in general).
I got the feeling of a "constant air pressure" on my ears while listening to some music , as if I was on a plane.
But the problem was worse because I've boosted the bass on the 0-40 hz region with an eq.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #1,851 of 3,855
Still loving these things, not feeling at all for any need for an "upgrade". I do mostly use speakers though. By far still the best can's I have heard with all sorts of material/genres (and the better recorded the material the better they shine) for my preferences.

I only use lossless (FLAC) and never anything else (I can tell a difference, yes I've been blind tested several times as have many others along with me who also correctly identified lossy or lossless the majority of the time with all sorts of material/genres).

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #1,852 of 3,855
@Pratt
Just a question first. I saw your signature with the ranking:
Quote:
Cans: Shure 940 > AKG 702 > Grado 225i > BD DT 770 (600) > Senn 595 > Sony MDR - V600

Would you rank these headphones the same way if you would plug them directly on an onbard soundcard or an mp3 player ? Don't tell me that some headphone need an amp or whatever,
because even for the K701  I saw some people claiming that they liked them without an amp.
There was also the "crazy review"  of a guy happy with his hd800 plugged on the "latest ipod touch".

Also personally, I   wouldn't rank the shure 940 above the hd595. Because they sound too different.
It's like comparing apples to orange. You said, that you like , most of the time to listen to your speakers. But for someone that listen exclusively to his  headphones, I'd say that somehow the hd595 are better : you can forget you wear them , and less fatigue from the sound signature.
Quote:
Still loving these things, not feeling at all for any need for an "upgrade"

Let's say that the srh940 has discouraged me , from getting an upgrade.  Which could be at least a positive thing.  I  think above a  price point, you'd reach satisfaction only by trying lot of  different headphones  which unfortunately I  can't.  Recently I've seen the thread "** Confessions of a Failing Audiophile ** - I hated the LCD2" ,  so I realize that even with the quite hyped LCD2  here, you can manage to be disappointed. Unless you can experiment a lot, spending  cash on headphones, in the hope to be impressed is just a loosing battle.  I'll add, that  many people here are  trying to convince others that they've bought the best headphone in the world, probably because: first they try to convince themselves and second  they don't want to buy something else and experiment again.

Also I don't understand why people are so reluctant here to use eq, or any dsp effects in other to get something that suit better their taste. This can work, I got the proof: in a thread there was someone complaining that his sennheiser IE7  didn't sound that great out of a Cowon J3; but then I  posted some jeteffects / eq setting , and he changed his mind.

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #1,853 of 3,855

Quote:
@Pratt
Just a question first. I saw your signature with the ranking:
Would you rank these headphones the same way if you would plug them directly on an onbard soundcard or an mp3 player ? Don't tell me that some headphone need an amp or whatever,
because even for the K701  I saw some people claiming that they liked them without an amp.
There was also the "crazy review"  of a guy happy with his hd800 plugged on the "latest ipod touch".

What's wrong with rating by preference, or expressing that preference for other people to analyze from their own perspective?

I like apples better than oranges, but acknowledge their differences.  I do agree the best approach is to express your specific subjective interpretations of the differences and let the reader decide which they prefer, but there is nothing wrong with expressing apples are preferred over oranges - even if less useful.

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #1,854 of 3,855

Quote:
What's wrong with rating by preference, or expressing that preference for other people to analyze from their own perspective?

Let's say that my comment  was from a newbie perspective. Most newbie comes here with the hope of getting the "ultimate headphone" for a particular amount of money, and don't realize that headphones could  be designed with a different purpose in mind. If I  didn't  have both the hd595 & srh940, I  would have made the quick assumption after seeing your ranking that the srh940 is better, but IMHO it's not so straightforward.

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #1,855 of 3,855

Quote:
Let's say that my comment  was from a newbie perspective. Most newbie comes here with the hope of getting the "ultimate headphone" for a particular amount of money, and don't realize that headphones could  be designed with a different purpose in mind. If I  didn't  have both the hd595 & srh940, I  would have made the quick assumption after seeing your ranking that the srh940 is better, but IMHO it's not so straightforward.

Ah, I see what you meant by the comment now.  I thought you were expressing that it was WRONG to rate by preference, not that it was a weaker representation than alternatives.  This I agree with.  I also think that if the consumer is making a choice based on just the assumption that A is always better than B and don't bother to seek out more information then they're making an uninformed decision and probably aren't the type of smart consumer that does research anyways.

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,856 of 3,855
I quite like the idea of ranking - especially the list that Pratt had, as it gives a little insight into the sort of sound he prefers.  The first 3 give a big clue anyway.  Then if you can easily see where the member's preferences seem to lie, and they have something close to your own personal gear, you can get a feel for other stuff they may have that you were maybe considering.  It's just another bass-line that can help if you're looking for pointers.  Then you can ask the member for more info if you need to.

EG - mine would be HD600 > DT880 >Modded MS1i > SRH840 > SRH940

I tend toward a more 'natural/balanced' signature.  Doesn't mean the SRH940 isn't a good headphone - just means it doesn't suit my personal tastes.  In Pratt's list - although I'd quite like to hear one, the AKG702 was never really on my list of cans to consider owning & the proximity to the SRH940 in his list probably gives me an idea of what to expect.  Using that in combination with reviews, and then actually asking for more information begins to create a pretty good picture.

Food for thought anyway.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #1,857 of 3,855

Quote:
I quite like the idea of ranking - especially the list that Pratt had, as it gives a little insight into the sort of sound he prefers.  The first 3 give a big clue anyway.  Then if you can easily see where the member's preferences seem to lie, and they have something close to your own personal gear, you can get a feel for other stuff they may have that you were maybe considering.  It's just another bass-line that can help if you're looking for pointers.  Then you can ask the member for more info if you need to.

EG - mine would be HD600 > DT880 >Modded MS1i > SRH840 > SRH940

I tend toward a more 'natural/balanced' signature.  Doesn't mean the SRH940 isn't a good headphone - just means it doesn't suit my personal tastes.  In Pratt's list - although I'd quite like to hear one, the AKG702 was never really on my list of cans to consider owning & the proximity to the SRH940 in his list probably gives me an idea of what to expect.  Using that in combination with reviews, and then actually asking for more information begins to create a pretty good picture.

Food for thought anyway.

Agreed. The most informed decisions are usually the best ones

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #1,858 of 3,855
Quote:

Food for thought anyway.

Hey, how are you liking your HD600s anyways? Is it the "fixed" srh940 you were looking for?

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #1,859 of 3,855

Quote:
Hey, how are you liking your HD600s anyways? Is it the "fixed" srh940 you were looking for?

Yup - covers all my bases - very happy camper now.  Mid range is gorgeous, bass is balanced, extends well in both directions.  Best of all - it just sounds natural.  And the timbre and presentation ...... 
biggrin.gif

Actually I'm also selling the DT880 as well - because I don't really need both the 880 and 600 - don't need two neutral cans and for the HD600 are better.  So final purchase (probably next year now) will be a little Dot MkIII or IV - then I'm set for at least a few years I think.

iPod/iPhone 4 > B2 for ultra portable
iPod/iPhone 4 > E11 > B2 or MS1i for portable
iPod/iPhone 4 > PortaTube > HD600 for transportable
PC > Audio-gd NFB-12 > HD600 for desktop

The only thing missing is a closed can - and I'm even considering just going back to the SRH840 - because they were really that good.

Needless to say - I'm really enjoying the music now!

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #1,860 of 3,855

Quote:
Yup - covers all my bases - very happy camper now.  Mid range is gorgeous, bass is balanced, extends well in both directions.  Best of all - it just sounds natural.  And the timbre and presentation ...... 
biggrin.gif

Actually I'm also selling the DT880 as well - because I don't really need both the 880 and 600 - don't need two neutral cans and for the HD600 are better.  So final purchase (probably next year now) will be a little Dot MkIII or IV - then I'm set for at least a few years I think.

iPod/iPhone 4 > B2 for ultra portable
iPod/iPhone 4 > E11 > B2 or MS1i for portable
iPod/iPhone 4 > PortaTube > HD600 for transportable
PC > Audio-gd NFB-12 > HD600 for desktop

The only thing missing is a closed can - and I'm even considering just going back to the SRH840 - because they were really that good.

Needless to say - I'm really enjoying the music now!

And, really isn't that why we all got into this crazy hobby in the first place?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back