Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #22,741 of 22,945
Thanks for the reply.
Can you post a picture or two and some links for purchasing the Knowles filters?
Let’s see if these come over clearly…

You can see I use a thin metal tube to pop out the existing Shure acoustic screens, but before that I open the end of the white filter tube (the iem end with the red o-ring) because it tapers. In my case I used the metal tube to do that, just teasing it open by turning it off-centre.

Then I use a blunted toothpick to open it a little more, and then use the same toothpick to pop the new screen in there. The cup shape of the screen sits nicely on the end of the toothpick and you need it to go in straight.

I get Knowles dampers from AliExpress:
$2.35 19% Off | 2PCS Balanced Armature Damping Damper Plugs filters Knowles Acoustic Dampers for Shure Se215 se315 se425 se535 Se846 TF10 LM5144
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOrlhvO

My regret is I should’ve purchased 3 pairs of every color first time round. At this price it’s good to get them in one shipment and not have to order more.

The screens have a kind of cup shape to them and you need to maintain their shape for them to dampen effectively.

They’re really fiddly to work with too so get extras in case you lose or mangle them.

Lmk how it goes, and I’d love to hear if anyone tries the orange 3300ohm or yellow 4700ohm. They might be too dark, but the red 2200ohm surprised me how bright they still are, but increased bass vs green and stock white Shure.

Attachments

• IMG_7321.jpeg
    IMG_7321.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7322.jpeg
    IMG_7322.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7323.jpeg
    IMG_7323.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 28, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #22,742 of 22,945
Pleased to report that I've found my best combination for watching movies on my Sony Xperia 1V phone when traveling. The 846s paired with Comply P series buds and the TW2 did a great job of keeping out the noise of the flight and a particularly noisy child in the row in front of me, and I was free to enjoy my movie at 50% volume. The music also sounded great, the combination providing the fuller, warmer profile I enjoy. The wife, on the other hand, was not so enamoured, resorting to some high impact 'taps' on my upper arm to get my attention, so immersed was I in the movie!!

Oct 28, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #22,743 of 22,945
what do you guys find the best tips are for the se846, currently I am using the final audio tips, I do find those to be quite good.

I would definitely like to try and roll some different tips with the se846. I'd like to find a more expensive tip not quite the custom tips but something that is worth trying out.

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #22,745 of 22,945
what do you guys find the best tips are for the se846, currently I am using the final audio tips, I do find those to be quite good.

I would definitely like to try and roll some different tips with the se846. I'd like to find a more expensive tip not quite the custom tips but something that is worth trying out.

I use the CP800 and the Comply P series, depending on circumstances and the amount of isolation I need. The CP800 are easier to insert and remove when the wife is being chatty... :wink:

The Shure olives are also decent but like the P series, they take a while to seal after inserting.

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #22,746 of 22,945
I use the CP800 and the Comply P series, depending on circumstances and the amount of isolation I need. The CP800 are easier to insert and remove when the wife is being chatty... :wink:

The Shure olives are also decent but like the P series, they take a while to seal after inserting.
As mentioned, when traveling the P series works for me. For home music listening, Final Audio type E are my go to buds.

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #22,749 of 22,945
I recently got 2 pairs of spinfits - cp100 with the adapter pieces. Whilst being comfortable I’ve reverted back to a pair from my Timelesses that look similar but sounds a hair brighter, clear/open/airy.

They fit with the same Spinfit adapters but previously I made adapters by cutting out of the Shure tips I never used.
This is also a good way of using the mesh protection some of those tips came with, such as those big yellow foams.

Oct 30, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #22,750 of 22,945

I have tried Spinfit CP800, Westone STAR and Final Audio Type E tips with my SE846s and somehow always come back to the Shure olives. I do find silicone tips easier and more sanitary when commuting since I dont have to touch the tips much and can quickly disinfect with alcohol wipes so I am currently am using the CP800s on my SE846 Gen 2 that I use for commuting. My SE846 Gen 1 that I use with TW2 adapters at home have the Shure olives on them. I have probably been using the Shure olive tips for over a decade and they are very comfortable to me and provide me with a great passive seal.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #22,752 of 22,945
I prefer the sound and the seal from using comply foam tips. They get grubby, but it’s only my grub right 😉🤷🏻‍♂️

I’d like to use silicon tips, and I’ve tried many (not spinfits) but I just don’t find they fit as well or as securely.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #22,753 of 22,945
personally I love the foam tips too, however I cannot get a good fit with them basicly not on any of my iem's which sucks.

you should definitely try the spinfits, I use them on my se846,jh16pro,and jh rosies, they are all consistent with the fit and with sound.

Oct 30, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #22,754 of 22,945
I keep meaning too, this conversation has reminded to order a set. 👍🏻

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #22,755 of 22,945
Yes I believe you'll enjoy the CP800s.
Now I find the foam tips to offer the most optimal studio presentation with se846s. Accurate imaging, tight dark background sound with excellent isolation.
But they tend to crop a little the upper and lower bands of frequency which substracts some of the enjoyment for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back