Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #22,712 of 22,946
He’s right too! Haha

Shall we move on?

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #22,713 of 22,946
Mojo+Poly many it be a classic DAP or a bit restricted in standalone mode compared to others, but given the very good match between Se846 and Mojo it may well be worth considering.

That being said, a low output impedance alone doesn’t make an amp a good match. The overall low impedance of the SE846 is another factor, the high sensitivity another. But as always technical parameters are only part of the story, in the end only listening will tell you if you like a combination.

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #22,716 of 22,946
Mojo+Poly many it be a classic DAP or a bit restricted in standalone mode compared to others, but given the very good match between Se846 and Mojo it may well be worth considering.

That being said, a low output impedance alone doesn’t make an amp a good match. The overall low impedance of the SE846 is another factor, the high sensitivity another. But as always technical parameters are only part of the story, in the end only listening will tell you if you like a combination.
Question, if you have the Mojo/Poly can it play you're music without another device telling it what to do, such as your mobile phone?

For me, a DAP is an all-in-one device that can access its stored music (or streaming over wifi), send output the ear/headphones with an interface (controls with screen if needed) to select music playback, needing no other device such as a mobile phone.

But, yes, sure, can drop & move on.

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #22,720 of 22,946
How does Shure 846 v1 compare to IEMs (from new/newish manufacturers) of the same/similar price range?

Thank you
They still sound amazing, but I think if you compare it price wise (also second gen) against a campfire andromeda, which isn't that much expensive, you get more money's value. But what I do find is, the shure se846 have a particular sound signature I haven't heared elsewhere, the only thing I would love is to find a IEM with that kind of smooth signature, but also that air and 3d stage (that is what I mis in them).

I tested quite a few IEM, but either the bass was to overwhelming or bleeding in to the mids (I hate that!!), it messes up seperation. Or they have stage but than it get to much towards earbleeding bright.
And maybe there are some that do all right, but I refuse to pay 3000 dollar for a IEM, that money will go to full planar's or a focal.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #22,721 of 22,946
Shure se846 have very thick and idiosyncratic midrange which you will find difficult to come across elsewhere. As for other acoustic characteristics as soundstage, instrument separation, treble detail, bass rumble you can definitely find better alternatives at the same price.
Probably true, but if you ask you will probably find se846 owners that are still using the set they purchased in 2013 when they first came out, I got mine in April 2017 and it still works great.

As far as I can tell the main weakness of the se846 is the MMCX connector, I try to avoid swapping cables too often for this reason.

Try finding an IEM at the same price as an se846 that will still be working in six+ years, that may be a bit more of a challenge.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #22,722 of 22,946
As far as I can tell the main weakness of the se846 is the MMCX connector, I try to avoid swapping cables too often for this reason.
Could not agree with you more! I really don't want to call it a weakness as such but I live in fear that one day I'm going to snap something. Overall I love the 846/TW2 team so I very rarely break them up.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #22,725 of 22,946
My SE846 is also 8.5y old, no problems so far. Yes, today 1k might be a bit of a stretch considering sound quality alone, but together with durability -- no objections.
Yes, I seldom change cables either. In prat due to the fragility of the MMCX connectors, but mainly because I really like them with the TW2 and don't see any reason to detach them since I got those. Maybe for the TW3...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back