Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 26, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #22,697 of 22,954
I'm currently using mine with the Chord Mojo 2 (with Poly) I just checked and the quoted output impedance is 0.06 Ohms, I doubt you'd find lower than that.
Another Mojo2 user. You will be hard pressed to find a better pairing.

Sep 27, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #22,698 of 22,954
My SE846 v1 + TW2 is my end game TWS. Every time I try something else, I end up right back to this setup.

The fit and comfort are excellent, the range is incredible, the physical buttons are fantastic, and ambient/passthrough is perfect. Add in Shure olive tips and you have better than ANC isolation without all the complication.

For absolute perfection, all I would change is a smaller portable carrying case, AptX Adaptive or HD, and wireless charging and I'm set.
Have you ever tried the FIIO UTWS5? I used these now over the TW2 for some a few reasons. The wireless charging, the sound is louder out of the box, you can configure the buttons to your liking, you can adjust the eq settings and they offer multipoint connectivity. So I can pair them with an iPad and iPhone at the same time. So far it's working well. There was some issues with them but I think updates fixed those.

Just a random question in case you noticed anything different that I may have missed with the TW2.

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #22,699 of 22,954
Have you ever tried the FIIO UTWS5? I used these now over the TW2 for some a few reasons. The wireless charging, the sound is louder out of the box, you can configure the buttons to your liking, you can adjust the eq settings and they offer multipoint connectivity. So I can pair them with an iPad and iPhone at the same time. So far it's working well. There was some issues with them but I think updates fixed those.

Just a random question in case you noticed anything different that I may have missed with the TW2.
Lots of posts in my history, but I don't like the fiio utws5 and bought the TW2 after owning both the utws5 and 3. Buggy software. Poor connectivity and pairing process across multiple devices. Ambient mode poor vs the TW2. I had multiple sets early on with battery/charging issues as well. The TW2 has worked flawlessly for me.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #22,700 of 22,954
Another Mojo2 user. You will be hard pressed to find a better pairing.

I'm sure you guys are right, but I'm trying hard to resist the Mojo and was hoping for a more mainstream DAP... I do very much appreciate the responses!

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #22,701 of 22,954
Not a dap reco, but I really enjoy Cayin RU6 with my se846!

Sep 28, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #22,702 of 22,954
Lots of posts in my history, but I don't like the fiio utws5 and bought the TW2 after owning both the utws5 and 3. Buggy software. Poor connectivity and pairing process across multiple devices. Ambient mode poor vs the TW2. I had multiple sets early on with battery/charging issues as well. The TW2 has worked flawlessly for me.
I also have the utws5 and I aggree that even though the sound is excellent I do experience issues with connectivity sometimes and with the microphone when I use calls.
From what I read in this threat I think I'm going to wait for the TW3 to come out and jump to that vehicle

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #22,703 of 22,954
I'm sure you guys are right, but I'm trying hard to resist the Mojo and was hoping for a more mainstream DAP... I do very much appreciate the responses!
How much do you have to spend?

If you just want to upgrade then perhaps the SP3000 would be a good choice (1.6 ohm) perhaps get along to a CanJam and test it first but I think you will be more than happy with the SP3000, your se846 will be happy too, not so your wallet though. :)

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #22,704 of 22,954
I'm currently using mine with the Chord Mojo 2 (with Poly) I just checked and the quoted output impedance is 0.06 Ohms, I doubt you'd find lower than that.

The Chord Mojo is a DAC - not a DAP…

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #22,705 of 22,954
The Chord Mojo is a DAC - not a DAP…
Splitting hairs a little aren't we? What is your definition of a DAP?

A Chord Mojo with Poly is as close to a DAP as most people need. It has an SD card slot, Wifi, plays most file types, its a DAP in disguise. The screen is separate, its on your phone, heck some DAP's don't even have screens. :)

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #22,706 of 22,954
Splitting hairs a little aren't we? What is your definition of a DAP?

A Chord Mojo with Poly is as close to a DAP as most people need. It has an SD card slot, Wifi, plays most file types, its a DAP in disguise. The screen is separate, its on your phone, heck some DAP's don't even have screens. :)
I don’t think it’s splitting hairs, a DAP is an all in one, primarily a player, with an interface, a screen etc. A DAC, is primarily a just a DAC and doesn’t focus on storage or a music player interface. You need a phone, or other digital music player to function alongside it.

The Chord Mojo is a great DAC, not entirely portable but does just about fit in your pocket. On its own it doesn’t play music.

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #22,707 of 22,954
I don’t think it’s splitting hairs, a DAP is an all in one, primarily a player, with an interface, a screen etc. A DAC, is primarily a just a DAC and doesn’t focus on storage or a music player interface. You need a phone, or other digital music player to function alongside it.

The Chord Mojo is a great DAC, not entirely portable but does just about fit in your pocket. On its own it doesn’t play music.
OK whatever, you win.

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #22,708 of 22,954
How much do you have to spend?

If you just want to upgrade then perhaps the SP3000 would be a good choice (1.6 ohm) perhaps get along to a CanJam and test it first but I think you will be more than happy with the SP3000, your se846 will be happy too, not so your wallet though. :)

I'm not sure the SP3000 is a significant enough upgrade to my second hand SP1000M (1 ohm balanced, 2 ohm SE) and yes the $$$ would be excessive, IMO. My primary reason for asking was the impedance matching issue that gets much discussion. On paper, something like the iBasso DX170, with 0.3 and 0.4 ohm OI might be a good choice, but I thought I should ask here for real world opinions. There are quite a few DAPs out there where the OI is not easily found or published or that recommend >16 ohm headphones.

Sep 28, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #22,709 of 22,954
I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for a portable DAP that works well with the SE846? It's difficult to get output impedance (OI) data for many of the recent DAP models (some specs are also questionable) and I would like to find a good match with less than 1 ohm OI. I already have a few DAPs and never know which is the best choice. I would think that single-ended would always be the best choice but my SP1000M actually has lower OI on balanced, according the the published specs...
I’m new to all this but recently I’ve decided to step away from using my iPhone for listening to Tidal HiFi and my collection of ripped CDs.
In the last few months I’ve moved from iPhone to DAP to portable cassette players. I’ve had no problems using my 846 2nd gen with my iPod Classic, iPod shuffle gen 2 and 4 and the most modern in my portable player line up, an Astell & Kern SR35 which at some point I’ll upgrade to their flagship model.
No issues using the 846 with all the portable cassette players I’ve amassed in the last couple of months. Mainly use wired a connection, I have a TW2 I use when trail running but that’s connected to my 215Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back