Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #22,667 of 22,946
MMCX is always a PITA… and it was never meant to withstand frequent connect/disconnect cycles. As much as I love the SE846, I’m keeping my set on the TW2 exclusively to avoid problems with the sockets. I wish the more robust T2 connectors were used…
Had my original SE846 clear for around 8 year now and swap cables occassionally and never had an issue and look & work like new.

My Sony M9, Z1R and Fiio FD7 also on mmcx and never any issues either.

Do agree the original Shure cables are rubbish and got rid ages ago. Currently use with a Sony 4.4mm cable.

Also used with Fiio cables perfectly fine and generally great cables, the silver Litz especially.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #22,668 of 22,946
Had my original SE846 clear for around 8 year now and swap cables occassionally and never had an issue and look & work like new.

My Sony M9, Z1R and Fiio FD7 also on mmcx and never any issues either.

Do agree the original Shure cables are rubbish and got rid ages ago. Currently use with a Sony 4.4mm cable.

Also used with Fiio cables perfectly fine and generally great cables, the silver Litz especially.
My SE846 is about the same age, occasional cable swaps and no problem so far. I’m hesitant though… but I don’t see much need to change from the TW2 until a TW3 comes up. Did not use them on a cable for ages…

Note I’m not complaining about the SE846, more of MMCX in general, and maybe Shures decision to use this connector. T2 would have been a good step for the 2. ed I think, but switching connectors is always a hassle for both the manufacturer and the owners.

Jul 18, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #22,669 of 22,946
I must be the only person who thinks the Shure OE cables are fine - good even. Tough and long-lasting, I've still using an old stock cable that came with my SE535 years ago on my SE846.... I find it good over the ears too. I do have some aftermarket cables - some fairly spendy - and I find them for the most part to feel fragile.

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #22,670 of 22,946
I must be the only person who thinks the Shure OE cables are fine - good even. Tough and long-lasting, I've still using an old stock cable that came with my SE535 years ago on my SE846.... I find it good over the ears too. I do have some aftermarket cables - some fairly spendy - and I find them for the most part to feel fragile.
The cables themselves are ok I think, quite robust for sure. I dislike the interaction between the earhooks/wire and the rotating MMCX though

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #22,671 of 22,946
Fit & microphonics were issue for me, the memory sleeve is terrible IMO. I like soft pliable cables that also don't easily tangle. High end Fiio D range I've found great, but also Sony cables.

May have posted before, but I tend to now use my SE846 with Fiio BTR7 and Fiio's short cable over LDAC 990kbps from my Android phone or Sony A307 DAP.

This short cable is great with BTR7 clipped to shirt/coat top etc.

20230606_133611.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #22,672 of 22,946
I find them great as well. Pretty iconic too imo.

In terms of iems I rotate, I really like Sony N3's cable. Its light, non coil-y and feels sturdy enough. Very packable.

Jul 28, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #22,673 of 22,946
I can never recommend Headphone Lounge enough, his T2 silver cable is unbeatable imo. Handmade high quality cables at some of the best pricing. And the customer service is unbeatable, I've been using Ted Allen close to 10 years now and he always responds within the hour and is super accomodating.
Thankyou for sharing knowledge. Searching for better cable for my Shure se846. I came across this post. Silver cables arrived from Ted on Monday. Great e mail exchange with him. Very happy with them. A really marked improvement.

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #22,674 of 22,946
Have been going down the DAP research rabbit hole, and when I thought I’d had it figured out, then I discovered an pair of these SE846s lying around! (plus a pair of 215s)

Are there any current recommendations that pair well with these? I know already about the low output impedance which seems to rule out the Sony A306 which I had my eyes set on. Looking for something in the $500 range, ideally with Android as would be listening from Apple Music, plus want to use it as a stripped down messaging device too (I have an app that combines all my WhatsApp/social media DMs/SMS from main phone etc).

And pretty new to all this - my daily driver has been the Galaxy Buds2 Pro with my Samsung phone which at least claims to deliver basic lossless via their proprietary codec on their devices. Plugging the 846s in they do sound a bit muddy to me, so planning to find and put that white nozzle filter in and see how that sounds.

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #22,676 of 22,946
Aug 20, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #22,677 of 22,946
Having a higher output impedance on the amp max alter the frequency response of the SE846 quite a bit. Just take a look at the impedance diagram:
https://www.stereophile.com/images/ifmeasure/ShureSE846BlueFilterSample2.pdf
If you like it — no problem. It won’t do any harm, i.e. you won’t roast your SE846
Thanks - from everything I've seen here and other places it does sound like the A306 isn't the best fit for IEMs like this. And it's a shame to be honest because that form factor (and Walkman badge of course) do look really nice! And sounds like not even next step up with the ZX series would do the trick as the OI is still supposedly high (though lower than the A306).

I'm looking at the Shanling M3 Ultra - anyone here had them paired with SE846s who can feed back?

Aug 20, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #22,678 of 22,946
Thanks - from everything I've seen here and other places it does sound like the A306 isn't the best fit for IEMs like this. And it's a shame to be honest because that form factor (and Walkman badge of course) do look really nice! And sounds like not even next step up with the ZX series would do the trick as the OI is still supposedly high (though lower than the A306).

I'm looking at the Shanling M3 Ultra - anyone here had them paired with SE846s who can feed back?
I also have no issue with hiss with my SE846 (original) and A307.

Aug 21, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #22,679 of 22,946
Some questions that I'm having a hard time digging through this thread to answer.

1. Did anyone ever figure out a good replacement for the interference seal? Gasket maker? Epoxy? A thin oring?

2. Any recommendations for alternative tips that have a built-in nozzle screen like the Shure Olives?

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #22,680 of 22,946
Hello all,

I was wondering if you could offer some advice on a situation that is slowly driving me crazy. I have combined my SE846 to a recently acquired Shure TW2. From a music point of view I cannot be happier with the combination but my issue lies with the phone call functionality. An incoming call registers on my phone (Sony Xperia 1 V), shows up on the phone screen, rings on the phone BUT no sound coming through the 846/TW2 combination. Checked to app settings on the Shure Play app but all appears ok.

Am I missing something or is this how it's supposed to work, please?

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back