Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #22,681 of 22,945
Hello all,

I was wondering if you could offer some advice on a situation that is slowly driving me crazy. I have combined my SE846 to a recently acquired Shure TW2. From a music point of view I cannot be happier with the combination but my issue lies with the phone call functionality. An incoming call registers on my phone (Sony Xperia 1 V), shows up on the phone screen, rings on the phone BUT no sound coming through the 846/TW2 combination. Checked to app settings on the Shure Play app but all appears ok.

Am I missing something or is this how it's supposed to work, please?

Thanks for your help!
Have you selected the audio output on your phone? iOS will say Speaker, Bluetooth or phone.

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #22,682 of 22,945
I can highly recommend EQ'ing the Shure SE846 to the crinacle target curve, sounds amazingly good!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230908-151230.png
    Screenshot_20230908-151230.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #22,684 of 22,945
Thank you. I will check but a quick scan tells me there is no corresponding android functionality, but I will dig deeper.
Nothing doing sadly. What I did do was swapped the 846/TW2 combo with my Sony Z1R/IFI Go Pods unit and incoming calls were as they should be. The second combo also played nice with the Shure Play app which is both helpful but VERY frustrating!!!

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #22,685 of 22,945
Hello all,

I was wondering if you could offer some advice on a situation that is slowly driving me crazy. I have combined my SE846 to a recently acquired Shure TW2. From a music point of view I cannot be happier with the combination but my issue lies with the phone call functionality. An incoming call registers on my phone (Sony Xperia 1 V), shows up on the phone screen, rings on the phone BUT no sound coming through the 846/TW2 combination. Checked to app settings on the Shure Play app but all appears ok.

Am I missing something or is this how it's supposed to work, please?

Thanks for your help!
During a call, in the phone app, select headset as your Audio output source. I think some android devices will default to last used (ie phone speaker).

Sep 8, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #22,687 of 22,945
I've been using a pair of SE846s since they released in 2013 and they have been my daily driver (no pun intended) ever since. Today I finally decided to bite the bullet on a set of V2s with the TW2 wireless kit, and I'm excited for a new set of IEMs for the first time in forever. I'll touch back with impressions once they get here, I'm very curious to hear the new V2 sound filters :)

Sep 8, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #22,688 of 22,945
I've been using a pair of SE846s since they released in 2013 and they have been my daily driver (no pun intended) ever since. Today I finally decided to bite the bullet on a set of V2s with the TW2 wireless kit, and I'm excited for a new set of IEMs for the first time in forever. I'll touch back with impressions once they get here, I'm very curious to hear the new V2 sound filters :)
If my recent experience is anything to go by, from a music point of view you're unlikely to be disappointed. Taking the usual Bluetooth drawbacks into account (and they are diminishing) they are great out of the box and the many personalisation options could only make them better.

Sep 8, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #22,689 of 22,945
My SE846 v1 + TW2 is my end game TWS. Every time I try something else, I end up right back to this setup.

The fit and comfort are excellent, the range is incredible, the physical buttons are fantastic, and ambient/passthrough is perfect. Add in Shure olive tips and you have better than ANC isolation without all the complication.

For absolute perfection, all I would change is a smaller portable carrying case, AptX Adaptive or HD, and wireless charging and I'm set.

Sep 9, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #22,693 of 22,945
Pushing my setup again - white filter tubes with Knowles green filter screen in place of whatever garbage Shure puts in them - lightning Mmcx cable to iPhone, Apple Music lossless (with or without Atmos) no eq needed - is sounding like a truly $1k iem. Everything from drums bass guitars vocals and cymbals sounds crystal clear, natural and open.
I have no desire to try any DACs vs this.
The music just makes me want to get up and dance. Even at 1am :)

Also I’ve tried different ear tips and the only difference I find is the isolation and comfort.
I actually cut out some insides of olives so that the tips from my Timeless would fit. More comfy than Shures foamers.

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #22,694 of 22,945
I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for a portable DAP that works well with the SE846? It's difficult to get output impedance (OI) data for many of the recent DAP models (some specs are also questionable) and I would like to find a good match with less than 1 ohm OI. I already have a few DAPs and never know which is the best choice. I would think that single-ended would always be the best choice but my SP1000M actually has lower OI on balanced, according the the published specs...

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #22,695 of 22,945
I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for a portable DAP that works well with the SE846? It's difficult to get output impedance (OI) data for many of the recent DAP models (some specs are also questionable) and I would like to find a good match with less than 1 ohm OI. I already have a few DAPs and never know which is the best choice. I would think that single-ended would always be the best choice but my SP1000M actually has lower OI on balanced, according the the published specs...
I'm currently using mine with the Chord Mojo 2 (with Poly) I just checked and the quoted output impedance is 0.06 Ohms, I doubt you'd find lower than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back