Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #22,426 of 22,945
Yep, seen those. Still feels like £700 is a bit much for Gen 1. What retailer was doing the Gen 2 for that price if you don't mind me asking.

I have been offered some Gen 1 mint condition units, 2nd hand, for £400. Which I am tempted by although I am still weary about the mmcx. It seems its unchanged from the new ones though and almost £600 between the 2nd hand gen 1 and the new gen 2 seems very steep.
It was one of the online musical instrument retailers, PMT. But, as I said, I think I was sent the Gen 2 in error although the description on their website said they were the ‘upgraded’ version it didn’t specifically state Gen 2. At that time though, they didn’t list a Gen 2 separately, so I suspect they may not have realised, possibly.

Either way, I was lucky.

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #22,427 of 22,945
Hi,
My Shure 846s don't seem to have the red line on the nozzle interface to know where to insert the nozzle when replacing filters (minute 1:04 in this video: ). Not sure if it has worn away in time. Has anybody else had this problem? Makes it difficult to know whether I am inserting the nozzle correctly.

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #22,428 of 22,945
Hi,
My Shure 846s don't seem to have the red line on the nozzle interface to know where to insert the nozzle when replacing filters (minute 1:04 in this video: ). Not sure if it has worn away in time. Has anybody else had this problem? Makes it difficult to know whether I am inserting the nozzle correctly.

the red line gradually wears out, but even if it did, there is only one way the nozzle gets inserted properly.

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #22,431 of 22,945
Does anybody know if this the only place to source replacement filters?

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/sh...ters-blue-black-white-red.html#product_tab_16

Can't find them on the Shure website.

For some weird reason my blue filters have stopped working (sound is distant and muffled) - the black and white ones remain fine! Weird.
as far as I know they are ligid, the only thing is they don't suply the red filters as shown on the photo's. But the blue no problem, from what I have heared at this forum.

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #22,432 of 22,945
Yeah I have them. If you get them I recommend the half shell. I have the full and its just so bulky that I dont enjoy wearing it. Personally if i could do it again Id go with adv custom tips they just look nicer to me. Let me know if you have any other questions
I have them and it didn't really work out. Pretty sure I HAD to get the full shell and that the half shell wasn't an option. They just seem to lose seal if you move at all. Sensaphonics re did them for me a 2nd time and was very helpful with the fit. One ear is great but the other seems to just come out. There didn't seem to be a huge difference either in the sound vs. the foam

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #22,433 of 22,945
I have them and it didn't really work out. Pretty sure I HAD to get the full shell and that the half shell wasn't an option. They just seem to lose seal if you move at all. Sensaphonics re did them for me a 2nd time and was very helpful with the fit. One ear is great but the other seems to just come out. There didn't seem to be a huge difference either in the sound vs. the foam
Yeah personally I'm not a big fan on mine. Just dont like the way it feels or the sound. Would try a different brand if I were to give custom ear tips another try

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #22,434 of 22,945
So managed to locate a pair of 2nd hand but mint SE846's in the UK for £350, which I am quite pleased about. Gen 1's though.
I have a RMCE-LTG cable from my previous pair that I was hoping to use but they don't seem to work with the iPhone. Most of the time it doesn't even recognise that the cable is connected and on the odd occassion it does, it says that the device is not supported. Very frustrating as I liked the cable with the built in DAC remote.

So my question is... are there any alternatives? I have an audioquest Dragonfly black, but even with the lightning to USB connector, that is also temperamental. The phone is 100% good btw and works with all the other devices via the port.

Are the TW2 any good vs the RMCE-LTG. I prefer wired as I know the battery state of my phone and am much more likely to keep on top of that vs another battery powered device like the TW2.

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #22,435 of 22,945
So managed to locate a pair of 2nd hand but mint SE846's in the UK for £350, which I am quite pleased about. Gen 1's though.
I have a RMCE-LTG cable from my previous pair that I was hoping to use but they don't seem to work with the iPhone. Most of the time it doesn't even recognise that the cable is connected and on the odd occassion it does, it says that the device is not supported. Very frustrating as I liked the cable with the built in DAC remote.

So my question is... are there any alternatives? I have an audioquest Dragonfly black, but even with the lightning to USB connector, that is also temperamental. The phone is 100% good btw and works with all the other devices via the port.

Are the TW2 any good vs the RMCE-LTG. I prefer wired as I know the battery state of my phone and am much more likely to keep on top of that vs another battery powered device like the TW2.
I just got the TW2 and like it. It sounds better than I thought it would and lets you select the 846. Battery life seems great so far.

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #22,436 of 22,945
I just got the TW2 and like it. It sounds better than I thought it would and lets you select the 846. Battery life seems great so far.
The TW2 is actually cheaper on Amazon with a pair of 215's. I assume the TW2 paired with the various IEM's is no different so it kinda makes sense for me to get a "free" pair of 215's with them rather than on their own.

Looks like I will have to go down the route of getting some TW2's then :frowning2:

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #22,437 of 22,945
The TW2 is actually cheaper on Amazon with a pair of 215's. I assume the TW2 paired with the various IEM's is no different so it kinda makes sense for me to get a "free" pair of 215's with them rather than on their own.

Looks like I will have to go down the route of getting some TW2's then :frowning2:
You will be pleased though, the tw2 are really good, especially for pair that doesn’t even support ldac. Doesn’t win from my ifi
Gryphon combi, but the tw2 really does a good job

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #22,438 of 22,945

I use a Dragonfly with mine and my iPhone, never had any compatibility issues at all. Obvious question, using a genuine Apple Lightning connector? I had a faulty one once and that kicked up the same error banners.

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #22,439 of 22,945

cool. I have a pair of old 215s and one cool thing is that I could switch if I needed. The app allows you to pick any of the sure IEM models

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #22,440 of 22,945
I use a Dragonfly with mine and my iPhone, never had any compatibility issues at all. Obvious question, using a genuine Apple Lightning connector? I had a faulty one once and that kicked up the same error banners.
Yep definately an Apple cable but ill try out another cable at the Apple store and see if that makes a difference. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back