Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #22,411 of 22,960
Well, I certainly don't need them, I've got the Xelento 2s in now and they're pretty incredible but your collective comments have convinced me. They're coming in to the collection. Thanks!
Mine is at Shure service for some time. But I always thought that, as their sound signature is concerned, they are like a less aggressive sounding IMR EDP ACE which I think you are familiar with.

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #22,412 of 22,960
THought I'd drop by this thread as BH Photo has the SE846 on for $499 for 10 more hours at the time of this writing. It was the SE535 that sent me down this audio rabbit hole years ago when I discovered the knowles filters here on Head-Fi while "googling" how to get more bass out of the 535s. I came close to buying the 846 many times but then discovered or rather began to understand driver tech. Well, if you read my signature everything there and in the spoiler (and so much more) sprang out of the 535s and Head-fi. Today when I got notice in my inbox about the BH deal, I thought maybe I'll pick them up. They are the best isolating IEM i've ever had including my CIEMs.
So here's the question, are SE846s still relevant today after all these years and when I just took delivery of the Xelento 2 and have 2 new IMR units on the way?

Link to B&H Deal Here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp
Wow! What a steal deal!

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #22,413 of 22,960
Not only am I UK based, but I am keen on the Gen 2's as it looks as though the mmcx connector is improved and the shells are half metal/half acrylic for the graphite and jade versions, which, I'm hoping, means they have improved the mmcx connector failures that I found on my Gen 1's.

@TK33 can you compare the mmcx connectors on your Gen 1 and Gen 2 side by side and let me know if they are different, and if the way they are seated into the shells looks any different too please. Much appreciated.

Thank you!

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #22,414 of 22,960
Not only am I UK based, but I am keen on the Gen 2's as it looks as though the mmcx connector is improved and the shells are half metal/half acrylic for the graphite and jade versions, which, I'm hoping, means they have improved the mmcx connector failures that I found on my Gen 1's.

@TK33 can you compare the mmcx connectors on your Gen 1 and Gen 2 side by side and let me know if they are different, and if the way they are seated into the shells looks any different too please. Much appreciated.

Thank you!
I had the the gen1 clear for 2 weeks than exchanged them within that period for the gen2 jade version. Was luckely withing that two weeks return period.

I like the red filters best, blue one second. The red just extend that treble a little above the blue but doing that staying away from the harshnesh the white have.

What I like about the jade and graphite is they used full metal coloured part, and half the clear part. So best of both worlds in my opinion.

I love the full clear one’s but always thought they look kinda like hearing aid devices. Ofcourse holding them in the hand they look awsome seeing all parts inside

Haven’t noticed a change in the mmcx, but have to be honest I didn’t compare to gen1 either, so don’t know, but good if they did ofcourse.

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #22,415 of 22,960
Hmmm interesting, thanks.
In the UK, the Gen 1's are for sale at £700 but there are no mentions on the authorised distributor websites about warranty length, looks to be 1yr I think. I swear they used to offer 3yrs on these.

Given the issues I had with my gen 1's the price difference isn't big enough for me to not get the gen 2's. I want to buy them off Amazon with the gadget insurance/warranty as I would cry if shure tried to charge me £400 per unit to repair the mmcx again.

I've been waiting to see if they go on sale for Black Friday but there's no discount at all here in the UK yet. £959 on Amazon right now! Eye watering!

Nov 23, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #22,416 of 22,960
Hmmm interesting, thanks.
In the UK, the Gen 1's are for sale at £700 but there are no mentions on the authorised distributor websites about warranty length, looks to be 1yr I think. I swear they used to offer 3yrs on these.

Given the issues I had with my gen 1's the price difference isn't big enough for me to not get the gen 2's. I want to buy them off Amazon with the gadget insurance/warranty as I would cry if shure tried to charge me £400 per unit to repair the mmcx again.

I've been waiting to see if they go on sale for Black Friday but there's no discount at all here in the UK yet. £959 on Amazon right now! Eye watering!
Yes they are annoyingly expensive, but seeing the price of u64’s or a kineera baldr2 for 1399… don’t even mention the z1 iem of sony 2000 euro… I live with it and try to be carefull with mmcx, the 2 pin’s connecties also have their weaknesses

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #22,417 of 22,960

Thank you!
Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two. They look the same to me and feel the same when I change cables. I think if you are careful and don't swap too often, the connectors are generally fine. Of course if you put too much pressure on the plastic parts or try to force the connectors, it can crack or break over time. I have always felt I got my money out of my Shure IEMs, which is why I keep buying them (have owned the Shure SE530 and currently own the SE425, SE535 and two SE846s). I got my SE535s repaired after about 8 years of good use but I am pretty sure that was due to them being abused for many of those years (sleeping, gym, commuting and getting stuck on backpacks and train arm rests, air travel, etc.) and, in any case, I definitely got my money's worth.

I believe Shure has pretty much said the Gen 2 is really just an additional red filter (although it is a bit more difficult to remove tips from my Gen 2 vs. Gen 1 but I am sure there is a margin of error in production and they could have switched suppliers over the years). I tried to take some pictures so you can see for yourself. Can you guess which is the Gen 2?

(hint...the clear one).

Attachments

• 20221123_225144.jpg
    20221123_225144.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221123_225228.jpg
    20221123_225228.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221123_225428.jpg
    20221123_225428.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 24, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #22,418 of 22,960
THought I'd drop by this thread as BH Photo has the SE846 on for $499 for 10 more hours at the time of this writing. It was the SE535 that sent me down this audio rabbit hole years ago when I discovered the knowles filters here on Head-Fi while "googling" how to get more bass out of the 535s. I came close to buying the 846 many times but then discovered or rather began to understand driver tech. Well, if you read my signature everything there and in the spoiler (and so much more) sprang out of the 535s and Head-fi. Today when I got notice in my inbox about the BH deal, I thought maybe I'll pick them up. They are the best isolating IEM i've ever had including my CIEMs.
So here's the question, are SE846s still relevant today after all these years and when I just took delivery of the Xelento 2 and have 2 new IMR units on the way?

Thx. Amazon had the same deal so I just bought a pair and added the bluetooth dongle.

Nov 24, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #22,419 of 22,960

You already know the usual „welcome to head-fi. And sorry for your wallet“ saying I guess :wink:

Since you already ordered your SE864 theres not much to add (besides thinking about the TW2, which, to me at least, really brought new life to the SE864). Yes, I very much think they are still relevant. And at 400,- I would even consider getting a second pair to complement my 7-years-old set.

Nov 24, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #22,420 of 22,960

If I didn't just pick up the Focal Bathys I'd get these as a second pair. Oh, well... very nice find though and thanks for sharing.

Nov 25, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #22,421 of 22,960
Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two. They look the same to me and feel the same when I change cables. I think if you are careful and don't swap too often, the connectors are generally fine. Of course if you put too much pressure on the plastic parts or try to force the connectors, it can crack or break over time. I have always felt I got my money out of my Shure IEMs, which is why I keep buying them (have owned the Shure SE530 and currently own the SE425, SE535 and two SE846s). I got my SE535s repaired after about 8 years of good use but I am pretty sure that was due to them being abused for many of those years (sleeping, gym, commuting and getting stuck on backpacks and train arm rests, air travel, etc.) and, in any case, I definitely got my money's worth.

I believe Shure has pretty much said the Gen 2 is really just an additional red filter (although it is a bit more difficult to remove tips from my Gen 2 vs. Gen 1 but I am sure there is a margin of error in production and they could have switched suppliers over the years). I tried to take some pictures so you can see for yourself. Can you guess which is the Gen 2?

(hint...the clear one).

Thanks for this @TK33

Annoyingly the UK prices still remain stubbornly high, even for the Gen 1's, so I am going to wait. I keep flicking around various threads and being tempted away by reviews and suggestions of other IEMs but I remember being very fond of my SE846 and they were practical too. I had a pair of LCDi3's recently and they were fantastic, but they are just not practical enough for me to use them often and the wind noise because of the open-backed design was also an issue. The bass on them was fantastic though!

p.s. I figured it was the clear as they only did the black in the gen 1's anyway. You are right, they look the same for both units. Thanks again.

Nov 25, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #22,422 of 22,960
Nov 25, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #22,423 of 22,960
Nov 26, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #22,424 of 22,960
Thanks for this @TK33

Annoyingly the UK prices still remain stubbornly high, even for the Gen 1's, so I am going to wait. I keep flicking around various threads and being tempted away by reviews and suggestions of other IEMs but I remember being very fond of my SE846 and they were practical too. I had a pair of LCDi3's recently and they were fantastic, but they are just not practical enough for me to use them often and the wind noise because of the open-backed design was also an issue. The bass on them was fantastic though!

p.s. I figured it was the clear as they only did the black in the gen 1's anyway. You are right, they look the same for both units. Thanks again.

I really lucked out with mine a few months ago, paid Gen 1 price £739 for Gen 2 - the same retailer has now changed the price to £999.

The prices seem to have crept up too now, but there are one or two retailers selling for £699.

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #22,425 of 22,960
I really lucked out with mine a few months ago, paid Gen 1 price £739 for Gen 2 - the same retailer has now changed the price to £999.

The prices seem to have crept up too now, but there are one or two retailers selling for £699.

Yep, seen those. Still feels like £700 is a bit much for Gen 1. What retailer was doing the Gen 2 for that price if you don't mind me asking.

I have been offered some Gen 1 mint condition units, 2nd hand, for £400. Which I am tempted by although I am still weary about the mmcx. It seems its unchanged from the new ones though and almost £600 between the 2nd hand gen 1 and the new gen 2 seems very steep.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Skev
Back