Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #21,976 of 22,945
I’m actually shocked they would pull this crap. I feel like I’ve waited forever for a successor and we get a filter which you can’t buy. This is the best they could do?!?! They haven’t improved the low pass filter technology or couldn’t develop some better drivers. I think they’ve really lost some credibility here by increasing the price to what it was half a dozen years ago.

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #21,977 of 22,945
I’m actually shocked they would pull this crap. I feel like I’ve waited forever for a successor and we get a filter which you can’t buy. This is the best they could do?!?! They haven’t improved the low pass filter technology or couldn’t develop some better drivers. I think they’ve really lost some credibility here by increasing the price to what it was half a dozen years ago.
No new high end this year. I am guessing they are waiting for something big on 2025? their 100 years anniversary maybe

Sep 16, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #21,979 of 22,945
I still don't understand how shure promote their wireless adaptor. I may be wrong, but with only aptX™, AAC and SBC, it totally kill the sound quality.
I don't think so. I've had both the first and second gen (which I still own and use) and I love how the SE846 sounds with these adapters. A real high-end TWS.

Sep 16, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #21,980 of 22,945
Obviously having the latest codecs is preferable, but it is just one piece of the puzzle that is music reproduction. My iBasso DX170 in Bluetooth DAC mode only receives AAC, which on paper I wasn't thrilled about, but in use it sounds great.

There'll be devices out there that are LDAC capable but don't as good as those using lesser codecs.

At some point I'd like to get the TW2 adapters.

Sep 17, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #21,981 of 22,945
Being one among others who always said that an issue with SE846 was lack of upper treble extension I would be very curious to try the red filter which seems to address this very 'problem' ( I know this is not a 'problem' for many long term users and I completely respect that).
If it came to be just a TrishD mod from my understanding when I tried that is that it affects the upper mids lower treble mostly. That does not address the upper treble extreme roll-off though.
I'll wait for reviewers to scrutinize this.
Hopefully Shure will make available the red filter for Gen 1 owners as the IEM otherwise is completely the same soundwise.

Sep 17, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #21,982 of 22,945
I ended up selling my beloved SE846s, hoping I would be able to find a set with more extension on top.
Well, I got the Mest MK2, TOO big, difficult fit, good sound, better treble but I
missed the 846s slam… the overall bass was better on the 846s without having to deal with a dynamic driver and bone conduction.
I sold them the very next day since I was not able to return them.
Then, I got the Westone Mach 70, amazing cable and fit but plain terrible overall (IMHO). They look and feel very cheap . Bass was just ok but nowhere close to the SE846s. in addition to that, shouty mids …. The overall sound from the musical standpoint was not even close to the SE846s. I tried them with different sources since they have higher impedance.
Well, here I am with my AirPod Max and debating the 846 Gen 2s and I still have amazing Linux Superbax cable….I do not think I will be able to resist…

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #21,983 of 22,945
I ended up selling my beloved SE846s, hoping I would be able to find a set with more extension on top.
Well, I got the Mest MK2, TOO big, difficult fit, good sound, better treble but I
missed the 846s slam… the overall bass was better on the 846s without having to deal with a dynamic driver and bone conduction.
I sold them the very next day since I was not able to return them.
Then, I got the Westone Mach 70, amazing cable and fit but plain terrible overall (IMHO). They look and feel very cheap . Bass was just ok but nowhere close to the SE846s. in addition to that, shouty mids …. The overall sound from the musical standpoint was not even close to the SE846s. I tried them with different sources since they have higher impedance.
Well, here I am with my AirPod Max and debating the 846 Gen 2s and I still have amazing Linux Superbax cable….I do not think I will be able to resist…
IMO, you should give the IE 900 a try, especially since a main point for you is bass, and fit/build quality. I have both the SE846 and IE 900 and like them in their own rights. I would say the IE 900 has more bass emphasis and body, while the SE846's bass "punches" a little harder (in the mid-bass). The IE 900 definitely has more resolution. But I still like the SE846 mids presence better. I too have the Superbax for my SE846.

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #21,984 of 22,945
IMO, you should give the IE 900 a try, especially since a main point for you is bass, and fit/build quality. I have both the SE846 and IE 900 and like them in their own rights. I would say the IE 900 has more bass emphasis and body, while the SE846's bass "punches" a little harder (in the mid-bass). The IE 900 definitely has more resolution. But I still like the SE846 mids presence better. I too have the Superbax for my SE846.
I tried them for a week as well.... Great IEMs but I struggled with the cable and the ear hook. None of the silicone tips fit me well either. I ended up using the Sony Hybrids. Interesting, I found that the IE900s provided more sub-bass but less overall bass and body. I also preferred to mids on the 846s. On the other hand, the IE900s had better treble and extension, sometimes a little too much.
I am not a bass head, I mostly enjoy a lush profile, with smooth highs extension, great mids, and bass that I do not have to think where it is and that I do not have to increase the volume to get it where I like it ( AirPods Max...). The SE846s used to check all the boxes but the extension part, even with the Trish Mode....

Sep 17, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #21,985 of 22,945
I tried them for a week as well.... Great IEMs but I struggled with the cable and the ear hook. None of the silicone tips fit me well either. I ended up using the Sony Hybrids. Interesting, I found that the IE900s provided more sub-bass but less overall bass and body. I also preferred to mids on the 846s. On the other hand, the IE900s had better treble and extension, sometimes a little too much.
I am not a bass head, I mostly enjoy a lush profile, with smooth highs extension, great mids, and bass that I do not have to think where it is and that I do not have to increase the volume to get it where I like it ( AirPods Max...). The SE846s used to check all the boxes but the extension part, even with the Trish Mode....
Bumping in here but yes, se846 do check most boxes especially with a good source. I myself really appreciated them after I purchased a Mojo more than a year ago. The main difference making them a superior set for my tastes in comparison with Sennheisers is midrange body. The latter do have better extension and resolution at the treble region, no competition on that, but at the expense of midrange body and tone weight, which is something that I always look for in the long term from an IEM. Also I do agree that midbass is more articulate with SE846.

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #21,986 of 22,945
Bumping in here but yes, se846 do check most boxes especially with a good source. I myself really appreciated them after I purchased a Mojo more than a year ago. The main difference making them a superior set for my tastes in comparison with Sennheisers is midrange body. The latter do have better extension and resolution at the treble region, no competition on that, but at the expense of midrange body and tone weight, which is something that I always look for in the long term from an IEM. Also I do agree that midbass is more articulate with SE846.
Yes, the low impedance and high sensitivity of the 846s allow them sound loud enough with any portable device or phone. However, they do require a good dac/amp to sound properly. Low powered devices affect overall bass , treble and soundstage.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #21,987 of 22,945
Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 1.35.18 AM.png

The red filter .....

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #21,988 of 22,945
Hi,
Tell me what mods can give me if, according to my tests, I think that se846 with a white filter and new tight standard earbuds (necessarily tight and deep fit in the ear) gives an almost ideal monitor studio sound?
I compared them to my Neumann NDH 30 and Adam Pro SP-5 and they are very close in overall common sound signature and to switch between them without any problem. Yes, the NDH 30 is slightly wider and flatter. The SP-5 is sharper and deeper on the top and bottom, but also very close in overall sound to the se846.
I understand that if I start changing the white filters by adding foam or something else to them, does it always give a decrease in high frequencies? But for me, an empty white filter is ideal and sufficient for high frequencies. I just wish the mids were quieter and less aggressive for the se846.
What can you advise for this?

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #21,989 of 22,945
was just in time to be able to return the just bought (3 weeks) se846 gen1, to have time to think what to do. They just launched the gen 2 now.

There are moments I like the white filters (but are harsh on moments to) the blue one sound amazing, but you mis some of the high end freq moments.

Where does the red filter from the gen 2 stand? Somewhere a mixture of the blue and the white? So warmth of the blue but airy high of the white without the harshness?

The white pushed a lot of low freq away

Could someone advice me?

I like the new color scheme of the gen 2’s though

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #21,990 of 22,945
Hi,
Tell me what mods can give me if, according to my tests, I think that se846 with a white filter and new tight standard earbuds (necessarily tight and deep fit in the ear) gives an almost ideal monitor studio sound?
I compared them to my Neumann NDH 30 and Adam Pro SP-5 and they are very close in overall common sound signature and to switch between them without any problem. Yes, the NDH 30 is slightly wider and flatter. The SP-5 is sharper and deeper on the top and bottom, but also very close in overall sound to the se846.
I understand that if I start changing the white filters by adding foam or something else to them, does it always give a decrease in high frequencies? But for me, an empty white filter is ideal and sufficient for high frequencies. I just wish the mids were quieter and less aggressive for the se846.
What can you advise for this?
In my experience, you can play with the filters to increase or decrease highs and bass, however, the mids are not affected. Shure’s trademark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back