Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #21,946 of 22,945
Resolution and high-range extension differences?
It is, I own the se846 and the MACH80 they offer completely different sound signatures. The MACH 80 is a much more "reference" sound signature. The MACH80 to me is more comfortable and the cable that comes with the MACH80 is superb IMHO.

There is still a place in my IEM collection for the se846 to complement the MACH80 for when I fancy a completely different listening experience. :)
Sorry, I was asking about your impressions regarding differences between se846 and Mach80.

Aug 5, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #21,951 of 22,945
I actually got a response from Shure in the US, they also sell them. For anyone that may want to know...

# RPE846NZLNSRT-BAL 1 EA PAIR OF BALANCED NOZZLE INSERTS (blue filter) $17.47
# RPE846NZLNSRT-BRT 1 EA PAIR OF BRIGHT NOZZLE INSERTS (white filter) $16.03
# RPE846NZLNSRT-WRM 1 EA PAIR OF WARM NOZZLE INSERTS (black filter) $16.73

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #21,953 of 22,945
Has anyone else preferred the sound of their SE846 with no filter installed? I've always preferred the black filter for its low-end response, but the black filters for both of my se846 sets (one new original, one used from Head-fi member) are now clogged and let very little sound through. I know I can buy replacements, although not from the Full Compass eBay store as they don't ship to Canada.

But for the fun of it, I decided to try mine with no filter installed. I have to say I'm enjoying them so far. Just seems that the un-filtered soundstage and frequency range is to my liking, so I was curious if others have enjoyed them that way?

I still really want to get the left earbuds repaired or replaced, but for now the one I've hobbled back together and used cyanoacrylate adhesive to join the shells is working well so far. It doesn't look pretty, but it works and is still comfortable in my ear.

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #21,954 of 22,945
Has anyone else preferred the sound of their SE846 with no filter installed? I've always preferred the black filter for its low-end response, but the black filters for both of my se846 sets (one new original, one used from Head-fi member) are now clogged and let very little sound through. I know I can buy replacements, although not from the Full Compass eBay store as they don't ship to Canada.

But for the fun of it, I decided to try mine with no filter installed. I have to say I'm enjoying them so far. Just seems that the un-filtered soundstage and frequency range is to my liking, so I was curious if others have enjoyed them that way?

I still really want to get the left earbuds repaired or replaced, but for now the one I've hobbled back together and used cyanoacrylate adhesive to join the shells is working well so far. It doesn't look pretty, but it works and is still comfortable in my ear.

I did not try them without filters, but you say your filters are clogged... do you use tips without a ear wax filter? The original Shure tips include one, and if you want to use them without filters I'd think that would be a good idea: otherwise dirt might get into the drivers themselves. Apart from that -- why not? If you like their sound better without a filter, that should be just fine.

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #21,955 of 22,945
I did not try them without filters, but you say your filters are clogged... do you use tips without a ear wax filter? The original Shure tips include one, and if you want to use them without filters I'd think that would be a good idea: otherwise dirt might get into the drivers themselves. Apart from that -- why not? If you like their sound better without a filter, that should be just fine.

Yes, I use the tips with ear wax filters that Shure originally provided. At one point I bought a bulk of them and after 6+ years I'm now down to the last 2 pairs so I'll have to order some more. Hopefully they're still available. I also now do more regular ear flushing/cleaning, which has made a big difference in the amount of eartip cleaning I need to do. I bought a decent ear cleaning kit and an electronic otoscope that sends images via Wifi to my phone/tablet. I don't use the otoscope every time I clean but occasionally check my ears for hidden pockets of ear wax.

I was just curious if others have tried the SE846 without filters and what they thought. I suspect I'm one of few who like the result, but each of us have different anatomical and neurological make-up. What sounds great to me might sound like crap to someone else. I watch a lot of movies and TV, and the soundstage for them just seems more open and expansive. Musically the only thing I don't like is the bass doesn't seem as tight and lacks a little impact compared to what I remember of the black filters. I did try them with the balanced and bright filters and they just didn't sound right to my ears. I'm going to order some replacement black filters anyhow, but for now I'll continue to use them without any filters.

Aug 10, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #21,956 of 22,945

Attachments

• 20220810_141839.jpg
    20220810_141839.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 22, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #21,957 of 22,945
Was able to get these 2 for $100 but only came with shure stock and btr1 cables. Not bad eh. 54898D1B-1A70-47CB-9300-FD1BAC86844B.jpeg

Aug 22, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #21,959 of 22,945
Both SE535 & SE846?
Good for you if they are original
Yes both of them and they are both original. Lucky find here at our local fb marketplace.

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #21,960 of 22,945
Testing this Tripowin cable (C8).
Great overall in looks, handling, microphonics, detail retrieval.
But seems to attenuate the bass.Sounding more reference -like with the black filter.
Now, I've listening to more bass heavy sets lately and not sure if my impressions are objective.
Anyone having experience with this pairing?
20220830_082707.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back