Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #21,920 of 22,945
I was having intermittent cut outs on the right ear piece - cable related, phew - so retired my trusty ol' budget Linsoul cable and replaced it with a Fiio LC-RC. Connection at the MMCX sockets are rock solid. But, as I was fiddling with the ear pieces waiting for my morning coffee to brew, I noticed the right ear is succumbing to the degrading glue/epoxy resin that holds the two shell halves together that some other folks have mentioned in this thread:anguished:

Time to scour through the backlog here to try and find the post from a chap that did a DIY fix on his... I'm not letting these fail on me!

Jul 21, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #21,921 of 22,945
@waveSounds I hope they can be fixed, I see no reason why not. I think I would use UV cure epoxy myself. Do the black/blue shell versions have this issue too? I have the black version and see no sign of any issues. I paid £676 for mine in April 2017, they don't see daily use though as I have them in rotation with several (too many) other IEM's :)

Jul 21, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #21,922 of 22,945
I was having intermittent cut outs on the right ear piece - cable related, phew - so retired my trusty ol' budget Linsoul cable and replaced it with a Fiio LC-RC. Connection at the MMCX sockets are rock solid. But, as I was fiddling with the ear pieces waiting for my morning coffee to brew, I noticed the right ear is succumbing to the degrading glue/epoxy resin that holds the two shell halves together that some other folks have mentioned in this thread:anguished:

Time to scour through the backlog here to try and find the post from a chap that did a DIY fix on his... I'm not letting these fail on me!
I've been rotating between different Fiio cables for the se846. I settled with the budget copper LC-B for some time which is pretty good sounding and handy.
Subsequently I kept them on the more expensive LC-RE when paring them with Chord Mojo. Interestingly though, a few days ago I noticed that that cable was attenuating se846's bass so I discontinued it's use.
Recently I was experimenting with LC-RC (which I am using usually with 7Hz Timeless). My feeling is that this cable is a good match to se846 especially on imaging.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #21,923 of 22,945

When I broke my set, I found a couple people saying you could reglue the shells with e6000 model glue. I've used it on other projects and it cures relatively quickly and is clear so your earpieces won't look gross. It's also pretty easy to peel off if you make any mistakes. I still have my older broken set and can show you how they completely come apart if that would make it easier, they've already split anyway.

Helpful Forum from a person in a similar situation

Jul 28, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #21,924 of 22,945
When I broke my set, I found a couple people saying you could reglue the shells with e6000 model glue. I've used it on other projects and it cures relatively quickly and is clear so your earpieces won't look gross. It's also pretty easy to peel off if you make any mistakes. I still have my older broken set and can show you how they completely come apart if that would make it easier, they've already split anyway.

Helpful Forum from a person in a similar situation
While I hope this won't happen to me, its helpful to know there's a rather easy solution to this problem.

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #21,927 of 22,945
Just saw that I got my SE846 on this day seven years ago... I don't use them much these days, but every time I do, I know, why I still have them. I just love their sound signature, and I'm really happy that Shure brought them into the wireless age with those TW2 adapters.
127372CA-67AC-4052-BF18-E9271ACFE5FB.jpeg

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #21,928 of 22,945
Just saw that I got my SE846 on this day seven years ago... I don't use them much these days, but every time I do, I know, why I still have them. I just love their sound signature, and I'm really happy that Shure brought them into the wireless age with those TW2 adapters.
127372CA-67AC-4052-BF18-E9271ACFE5FB.jpeg
Same here!

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #21,930 of 22,945
I am hoping to be able to try them tomorrow at CanJam, but i am also very curious about the new Westone Mach 80.
Must be the new version of W80.
I used to own a first version of W30s until the one bud died on me. Had good bass response for a BA set.
But never tried the high end Weston W-series. The Mach 80 must be an 8 BA configuration IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back