Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #20,461 of 22,945
Mine came with two cables but both were the same which I didn’t understand.

Came with 3 cables, the standard 3.5, a 3.5 with mic and the BT1. Never used them btw

There are three "editions" of the SE846:
The original came with two 3.5mm cables, one shorter and one longer. The short one was 48 inches or so, most suitable for reaching a music player in a pocket/purse/backpack. The longer one was 64 inches, good for connection to a desktop or hifi. This bundle cable with a clear hard-shell plastic case, and as I understand the outer metal of the MMCX connectors on the IEMs themselves is gold colored like on the older SE models. This bundle also seems to be $100 cheaper, reflecting the simpler and lower cost cables included.
The BT1 bundle (which I have) comes with 3 cables: the same 64" cable as above for desktop/hifi use; a RMCE2 remote/mic cable with a little Android/iOS switch on it to use with a phone; and the BT1 Bluetooth cable. This bundle drops the hard plastic case. The metal around the MMCX jack on the IEM is silver, but the wee hole in the center for the inner pin is still gold -- a change they may have made to improve durability(?). This bundle is $999, or at least was when I purchased it from Shure's website, which forwarded the order to an authorized dealer who shipped it to me.
There's also a BT2 bundle, which is identical to the BT1 bundle except that it includes the superior BT2 cable instead, costs the same, and seems to have supplanted it very shortly after I bought mine. As far as I've heard, the IEMs themselves are identical.

EDIT: The 64" cable included with BT1/BT2 bundles may be a newer version than the original SE846 one. It's certainly different than the one that came with the SE425 I bought in 2013. It's thinner, more flexible, and has a hip added to its plug so that it can fit into phones in cases with a small hole around the headphone jack. Also, the RMCE2 cable is made of an entirely different material from the normal Shure cables. Both it and the original RMCE cable have the same weird "rubber spaghetti" feel Apple's cables do, along with Apple-like straight plugs and near-nonexistent strain reliefs.

I was *very* underwhelmed by the BT1 cable. BT2 is a little tempting, but according to others it doesn't measure up to the ES100, which I currently use with my SE846 along with a Fiio LC-2.5D balanced cable. This combo sounds wonderful and a little more detailed than the same with the 3.5mm cable that came with my old SE425 that I'd moved up to my SE846 because I had modded it to be the right length to reach a Clip+ or ES100 on my collar.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #20,463 of 22,945
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #20,464 of 22,945
Btw a question related to this:

Does anybody know the following cable from KBEAR?
It has to be ordered from China, but i don't mind.

Is this equal or better than the previously mentioned Fiio LC cable?

KBEAR 16 core Silver plated Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm Upgrade Cable With MMCX/2pin/QDC/TFZ Connector with F1 KB06 HI7 ZS10 PRO ZSX

http://www.kb-ear.com/home/12-kbear...-connector-with-f1-kb06-hi7-zs10-pro-zsx.html

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #20,465 of 22,945
Does anybody know the following cable from KBEAR? ... Is this equal or better than the previously mentioned Fiio LC cable?
Doubt it. No mention of conductor purity, so it seems to be an ordinary, non-audiophile grade wire.

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #20,466 of 22,945
Nov 17, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #20,467 of 22,945
Nov 17, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #20,469 of 22,945
Can't find them.... advancedmp3players have a fiio cable with no model number, but it says it wont be back in stock until 2025 lol
I think that's just the placeholder date for when they don't know when stuff is coming in tbh! Can't imagine anyone ever actually ordering something THAT far in advance!

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #20,470 of 22,945
Btw a question related to this:

Does anybody know the following cable from KBEAR?
It has to be ordered from China, but i don't mind.

Is this equal or better than the previously mentioned Fiio LC cable?

KBEAR 16 core Silver plated Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm Upgrade Cable With MMCX/2pin/QDC/TFZ Connector with F1 KB06 HI7 ZS10 PRO ZSX

http://www.kb-ear.com/home/12-kbear...-connector-with-f1-kb06-hi7-zs10-pro-zsx.html
I only have the FiiO LC-2.5B, i LOVE the 2.5 plug, but end up hateing the cable itself, its to stiff when its cold and then buy a promo from KB EAR. Have to say their copper cable is one of the best i have tested for on the go (with an ES100) Didnt compare if there is sonic diferences since my se846 use from the start with the kb ear cable
This is the link from their official aliexpress page, actually im buing another since their witn discounts:
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/33039619405.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.7d5c3c00Nqgadl&mp=1

Nov 17, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #20,471 of 22,945
Thanks I was looking at one they have for about £30

Is this one a good enough upgrade from the Shure cables to be worth £90?

Question is why do you want to buy a new cable?
Increase the sound quality?
If yes, I can't say, as i needed a different connector (4.4 balanced) than the unbalanced 3.5 of the stock cable. So i can't compare both. But the Fiio has a good build quality in the latest verion D.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #20,472 of 22,945
Doubt it. No mention of conductor purity, so it seems to be an ordinary, non-audiophile grade wire.

Valid point, i didn't pay attention to this, thanks for the hint.
But if this makes an audible difference is probably difficult to say, or what do you think?

I only have the FiiO LC-2.5B, i LOVE the 2.5 plug, but end up hateing the cable itself, its to stiff when its cold and then buy a promo from KB EAR. Have to say their copper cable is one of the best i have tested for on the go (with an ES100) Didnt compare if there is sonic diferences since my se846 use from the start with the kb ear cable
This is the link from their official aliexpress page, actually im buing another since their witn discounts:
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/33039619405.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.7d5c3c00Nqgadl&mp=1

Previous versions e.g. version B was stiff and not that good, thats true. This was improved with the latest version D, but it might be still not as flexible as other brands.

But thanks for your impressions, will think about it...

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #20,473 of 22,945
Question is why do you want to buy a new cable?
Increase the sound quality?
If yes, I can't say, as i needed a different connector (4.4 balanced) than the unbalanced 3.5 of the stock cable. So i can't compare both. But the Fiio has a good build quality in the latest verion D..

Initially because I no longer trust Shure cables. And so that I have an extra for emergencies as I travel a lot. If only for that reason, £90 seems a bit much.

The Linum G2 BaX cable I had (which is about about £100), in my mind anyway, made my 846s sound miles better than they ever had before, but I don't know if that was a placebo. I had some downtime between the Shure cable and finally getting the BaX, so I was never able to do a direct comparison.

So I guess for £90 I would expect similar improvements. I'd go for the BaX again if the build quality was better, the plastic covering of the cable is so thin, it started to split inside 2 months and I had lots of exposed cable everywhere.

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #20,474 of 22,945
Hmmm... using my SE846 with ifi iDSD, going from 0 volume up, the left earbud/channel appears louder, then at higher volume both channel equals out. Anyone have similar experience? The volume level I listen to generally there is no notable difference. But if I choose to listen at a slightly lower volume, the difference is obviously there....

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #20,475 of 22,945
Initially because I no longer trust Shure cables. And so that I have an extra for emergencies as I travel a lot. If only for that reason, £90 seems a bit much.

The Linum G2 BaX cable I had (which is about about £100), in my mind anyway, made my 846s sound miles better than they ever had before, but I don't know if that was a placebo. I had some downtime between the Shure cable and finally getting the BaX, so I was never able to do a direct comparison.

So I guess for £90 I would expect similar improvements. I'd go for the BaX again if the build quality was better, the plastic covering of the cable is so thin, it started to split inside 2 months and I had lots of exposed cable everywhere.

FWIW I had similar issues with a couple of bax cables on ciems that were all the rage at the time. One had the cable split that you mention and the other had jack issues. Nice and light, but tangled like mad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back