Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 29, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #20,101 of 22,945
I have a question for those that have the non clear se846’s. I was looking at a pair of Black ones and noticed a 3 digit number on both of the shells. I believe it says 368. Anyone have that one theirs and what does that mean? Here are some close up’s
I had an authentic pair of the bronze 846 and they had a three-digit number next to each nozzle. They are very small and difficult to photograph, but I believe all genuine pairs have them engraved. Attached is a pic from one of mine:

2068524-shure-se846-bronze-for-sale.jpg

Hope this helps,
Ryan

May 29, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #20,102 of 22,945
I had an authentic pair of the bronze 846 and they had a three-digit number next to each nozzle. They are very small and difficult to photograph, but I believe all genuine pairs have them engraved. Attached is a pic from one of mine:

Hope this helps,
Ryan

1D0BCC2C-08A0-4E3A-BB72-4DFBE576C36F.jpeg
DF1C25CA-9287-4BED-89DC-E7E4BDBB7952.jpeg

Appreciate that. This is what it looked like

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #20,103 of 22,945
Reporting back:

It was too good to be true, the cheap se846s where never delivered, Amazon refunded me. But at least i also got to try the SE846'S that i ordered to compare with the "fake" ones which were never delivered. After listening for about a week i sent them back.

I did not like the sound signature. Bass was amazing, BUT i did not enjoy the mids and highs with any of the filters. Soundstage was inexistent. Not my type of sound at all. I have ended up with getting the Andromedas which FOR ME are miles ahead the SE846's

I have to admit that I've never heard the Andromedas, however it sounds like they are quite the IEM. Having said that, most people who try the SE846 just venture as far as changing from one filter to another. There is soooo much more though to EQing the 846 that lies within the filter itself and personally I've heard drastic differences in midrange and treble by just moving the outer foam in each filter a few mm in or out (IN= More Treble and Less Mirange. OUT= Less Treble and More Midrange).

The differences are not only measurable (big thanks to @csglinux https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-13 ) , but can positively be heard even by my untrained ears (unlike differences in cables)

Shifting that outer foam in or out just a few millimeters completely changes the EQ to the point that, if you don't set both right and left at the same distance, (i use a tiny bolt and a nut to to set the depth accurately) you will hear a difference between the 2 sides. We are talking millimeters here! This makes me wonder if the company that is making the filters is taking the time to adjust the foam placement accurately...

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #20,104 of 22,945
Reporting back:

It was too good to be true, the cheap se846s where never delivered, Amazon refunded me. But at least i also got to try the SE846'S that i ordered to compare with the "fake" ones which were never delivered. After listening for about a week i sent them back.

I did not like the sound signature. Bass was amazing, BUT i did not enjoy the mids and highs with any of the filters. Soundstage was inexistent. Not my type of sound at all. I have ended up with getting the Andromedas which FOR ME are miles ahead the SE846's

I understand how somebody listening to the SE846 with stock filters and foam tips might prefer the FR of the Andromeda. But @unispeed is right that there's a lot more you can do with the SE846 beyond just stock filters. Filter mods (and silicone tips) can make a huge difference. I wrote a big rant about this, and comparisons with the Andromeda, here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1331#post-14730773

There are better-sounding headphones than the SE846 if you're willing to sacrifice isolation, comfort, portability, one of your kidneys, etc. But to my ears (and any objective measurements I've seen) Andromeda is, at best, a side-grade in terms of SQ and a definite downgrade in terms of isolation and comfort. It's curious that nobody ever posts here to say how they've dumped the SE846 for the Xelentos or the Legend X or the Lolas or the KSE1200, etc. :wink: Anyway, if they fit your ears and you're happy with the sound of the Andromedas, that's all that matters.

On the subject of foam tips, I wanted to thank @Tranman409 for his recommendation of the Acoustune AET16 eartips. I'd not tried them before, so pulled the trigger as soon as I saw his post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1340#post-14953520

I like them. They're very SpinFitty :) For my ears, I still slightly prefer the SpinFit Cp800 tips, because they have slightly more reach (longer stems), but the AET16 tips could be a great choice for somebody with shorter ear canals because they could allow slightly deeper insertion. I did some measurements to compare these to the Cp800 tips. I won't bore everybody else on this thread, but if anybody's interested, pm me for the piccies.

May 29, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #20,105 of 22,945
I understand how somebody listening to the SE846 with stock filters and foam tips might prefer the FR of the Andromeda. But @unispeed is right that there's a lot more you can do with the SE846 beyond just stock filters. Filter mods (and silicone tips) can make a huge difference. I wrote a big rant about this, and comparisons with the Andromeda, here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1331#post-14730773

csglinux, what's your preferred filter mod nowadays? Still the trishd?

May 30, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #20,106 of 22,945
Well, I decided to revisit the white filter and this time I think I really am onto something good. If there ever will be a mod credited to my username it would have to be this one. It incorporates pieces from all 3 filter colors. The clarity of the attenuator in the white tube, the increased bass from using the denser (use only 1) foam from the black tube, and finally the foam from the blue tube strategically placed to sculpt the EQ.

This mod needs to be precise for it to sound good. I cannot overemphasize this enough. That is why I'm including a picture of everything involved to recreate it accurately. The position of the outer foam directly affects treble and midrange (inversely proportional to each other).

The EQ adjuster is the bolt! When adjusting the nut only go 1/4 turn at a time max. Start shallow and work your way to a deeper setting until you are satisfied with the treble. If the treble starts to pierce you've gone too far and need to back up. The setup for the bolt/nut assembly and the actual pushing of the second foam to the desired depth is done with the filter installed and everything closed up. This allows small changes to be made without having to take the filter out. Where its set in the picture is what my ears are telling me sounds good but let yours ears be the judge.

20190530_093325.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #20,107 of 22,945
I cannot resist. Trying this tonight. :)

Terry

(P.S. - you probably can get $50-$70 bucks apiece for those bolt and nut combos if this works!!!) :wink:

May 31, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #20,109 of 22,945
Hi,
i'm planing to buy a pair of Shure SE846, also because of the bass quality.

Also want to upgrade my DAP and currently thinking about the iBasso DX200 as a source for the SE846.

Now i found two guys mention that the SE846 combined with the DX200 have a lack of sub-bass:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1165#post-13332330
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1165#post-13332557

Here's my 2-sentence review of the DX200:

1) Pairs nicely with the SE846 in the sense that the output is extremely clean with no noise floor via single-ended or balanced output :)
2) I find it lacking in sub-bass :frowning2:

I agree, definitely lacking in sub-bass. Compared with the QP1R the sub-bass of the DX200 is less-so, with lesser extending treble as well in comparison. However the DX200 UI is pretty snappy. Hopefully the DX300/next gen will have a better implemented volume knob.

Can anybody confirm this, too?
Or could this be a problem with the DX200 stock Amp1 requiring another Amp module (Amp7/8 ?) that matches better to the low impedance of the SE846 ?

Does have anybody tested the new iBasso DX220 with the SE846 ? Is there a noticeable difference in terms of bass quality compared to the DX200 ?

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #20,111 of 22,945
csglinux, what's your preferred filter mod nowadays? Still the trishd?
That's what I'm still using right now, but @unispeed's new mod looks interesting and I need to listen to that at some point. I like his idea of being able to slowly adjust the EQ without the need to keep unscrewing the metal nozzle housing.

Hi,
i'm planing to buy a pair of Shure SE846, also because of the bass quality.

Also want to upgrade my DAP and currently thinking about the iBasso DX200 as a source for the SE846.

Now i found two guys mention that the SE846 combined with the DX200 have a lack of sub-bass:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1165#post-13332330
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1165#post-13332557

Can anybody confirm this, too?
Or could this be a problem with the DX200 stock Amp1 requiring another Amp module (Amp7/8 ?) that matches better to the low impedance of the SE846 ?

Does have anybody tested the new iBasso DX220 with the SE846 ? Is there a noticeable difference in terms of bass quality compared to the DX200 ?

IMHO, the sub-bass roll-off on the DX200 won't/can't be fixed via different amp modules. It's an ok DAP - just not very fun sounding. I'm not sure what the optimal DAP is for the SE846. Maybe others here can offer suggestions?
It's not easy to find a DAP with an SNR>110 dB (otherwise the SE846 will hiss), an output impedance <<1 Ohm (or you'll skew the SE846's frequency response), THD and IMD which is at least as good as that of my smartphone (LG V40), all out of (in an ideal world) a standard 3.5 mm socket. The DX220 does have better specs than the DX200 (and a quoted +/-0.3dB from 10 Hz to 54 kHz), but I've not yet heard it, so can't comment further.

May 31, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #20,112 of 22,945
Can someone post a link to site(s) that sell or modify the filters to look at and possibly purchase. If I were to try modding these tiny filters I would end up breaking something lol

As far as I know I don't think there is a site that sells modified filters. If you're worried about damaging your originals ones by tampering with them you could always order the pillbox with all 3 directly from Shure. Its about $60.00. In all honesty though, the only thing you have to be careful to not do when removing the foam pieces from the filters is stab too deep with the pin and puncture the attenuator at the base of the filter. If you're careful though that shouldn't be a problem. Also, make a note of foam placement on the stock filters before you change anything so as to be able to go back to stock. With the blue filter just put it up to a light source and mark on the outside the location of the filters. Finally, keep track of what foam pieces belong where as the ones in the black filters have been shown to be more dense.

May 31, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #20,113 of 22,945
That's what I'm still using right now, but @unispeed's new mod looks interesting and I need to listen to that at some point. I like his idea of being able to slowly adjust the EQ without the need to keep unscrewing the metal nozzle housing.

I just did the trishd mod (after owning the SE846 for a couple years) and am surprised at the difference. In the past, I preferred the Andromeda, but this small mod makes the SE846 much more competitive.

May 31, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #20,114 of 22,945
Could someone point me to the original instruction for the trishd mod. I see lots of reference but haven't found the post that details what /how to do it. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back