Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #20,071 of 22,945
I've just placed an order on Amazon(marketplace) for some new??? SE846's. I am a bit nervous as the price was 279£. Worst case i will get a refund from Amazon, but my question is what do i need to look out for to spot if it's fake. It will be the clear version. Do they counterfeit those as well considering you can see the inside and potentially quickly spot if it's fake or not?

As reference I have a HD6xx and a idsd bl, i am assuming/expecting that the Shure's will sound better?

The seller had 6 for sale and they all went in 5 minutes, lol.

Is it too good to be true to expect these are genuine?

May 10, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #20,072 of 22,945
I've just placed an order on Amazon(marketplace) for some new??? SE846's. I am a bit nervous as the price was 279£. Worst case i will get a refund from Amazon, but my question is what do i need to look out for to spot if it's fake. It will be the clear version. Do they counterfeit those as well considering you can see the inside and potentially quickly spot if it's fake or not?

As reference I have a HD6xx and a idsd bl, i am assuming/expecting that the Shure's will sound better?

I would definitely suggest it is too good to be true. Less than 300£? Do you see anyone else anywhere in any marketplace selling them that cheaply?

Terry

May 10, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #20,073 of 22,945

i think its too good to be true.

May 10, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #20,074 of 22,945
I am thinking the same, but why would they sell on Amazon and not eBay or some other dodgy sites? On Amazon you can recoup your moneys very easy and report the seller for selling fake stuff. I'm thinking of maybe ordering the 800£ one for comparison and i can send it back afterwards. (I would never pay 800£ for the SE846's as I could probably get better value for money with something else)

May 10, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #20,075 of 22,945
cheapest i saw them was for £495 as grey imports. why would a legitimate retailer/product need to sell any lower then that, which is almost half of what the normal retail is. sounds very fishy.

May 11, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #20,077 of 22,945

I will be nervous, specially if they are brand new, the cheapest I seen them is for 599 euros. There is a Youtube video that compares a fake and a real SE 846.
Good luck

May 12, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #20,079 of 22,945
Hi guys,

Thought I should share the key milestones with my SE846 from the moment I bought it up till its "death".

- Shell cracking along the glue seam after a year of use (just out of warranty)
- Managed to replace one side at GrandTech free of charge only with the help of Shure Asia (Hong Kong)
- After a few months, the same cracks occurred again, now on both sides
- Static/crackling noises occur about every quarter due to heavy usage, need to clean the MMCX socket and cable
- After close to 4 years, the static/cracking noises won't go away even after cleaning
- Thought it was due to widened pins in the female socket, used tweezers to adjust and broke the pins

Adios SE846. I'm moving on...

May 12, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #20,080 of 22,945
Hi guys,

Thought I should share the key milestones with my SE846 from the moment I bought it up till its "death".

- Shell cracking along the glue seam after a year of use (just out of warranty)
- Managed to replace one side at GrandTech free of charge only with the help of Shure Asia (Hong Kong)
- After a few months, the same cracks occurred again, now on both sides
- Static/crackling noises occur about every quarter due to heavy usage, need to clean the MMCX socket and cable
- After close to 4 years, the static/cracking noises won't go away even after cleaning
- Thought it was due to widened pins in the female socket, used tweezers to adjust and broke the pins

Adios SE846. I'm moving on...
I think that if you used them hard on daily basis they served you well though. Could have lasted longer indeed but only you can tell how much beat they took... A flagship smartphone that we pay roughly the same price for we tend to keep 2-maximum 3 years, some of us even a single year. Am I wrong?

May 13, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #20,082 of 22,945
I find others come and go. But 846s stay the course and are always an old friend to go back to. Just ordered 2 cheap new cables that Mo and others recommended on here a few years back to try out, Penon for about £13 and Brainwavz Candycane Balanced for £35.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #20,083 of 22,945
I find others come and go. But 846s stay the course and are always an old friend to go back to. Just ordered 2 cheap new cables that Mo and others recommended on here a few years back to try out, Penon for about £13 and Brainwavz Candycane Balanced for £35.

I agree my SE 846, still jack of all trades, i was at the Munich audio exposition yesterday and i try them with the new Astell&Kern KANN CUBE and WOW with that extra power,provide a wider soundstage and better stereo separation they sound damm awesome two times better than with my Astell&Kerne SR15.
i also got new balanced 2.5 cables with memory Hooks from AliExpress for 32 euros, better than the originals ( see screen shot ),

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 12.05.31.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 12.05.31.png
    225.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #20,084 of 22,945
Agree. At home, I experiment with new-comers, but when I want a sure thing, I plug in the 846. I've got 2 pairs. The one at work is the older one. Original shorter cable, much of it turned green with a copper patina. Plugged into the iFi iDSD Black Label. Westone tips. Wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back