Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #20,116 of 22,942
@csglinux
IMHO, the sub-bass roll-off on the DX200 won't/can't be fixed via different amp modules. It's an ok DAP - just not very fun sounding. I'm not sure what the optimal DAP is for the SE846. Maybe others here can offer suggestions?
It's not easy to find a DAP with an SNR>110 dB (otherwise the SE846 will hiss), an output impedance <<1 Ohm (or you'll skew the SE846's frequency response), THD and IMD which is at least as good as that of my smartphone (LG V40), all out of (in an ideal world) a standard 3.5 mm socket. The DX220 does have better specs than the DX200 (and a quoted +/-0.3dB from 10 Hz to 54 kHz), but I've not yet heard it, so can't comment further.

Thanks a lot for your input.
Then i need to find someone who owns the DX220 and ideally can compare the DX220 with the DX200 bass capability.

Other suggestions for best matching DAP sources are of course also welcome.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #20,117 of 22,942
I understand how somebody listening to the SE846 with stock filters and foam tips might prefer the FR of the Andromeda. But @unispeed is right that there's a lot more you can do with the SE846 beyond just stock filters. Filter mods (and silicone tips) can make a huge difference. I wrote a big rant about this, and comparisons with the Andromeda, here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1331#post-14730773

There are better-sounding headphones than the SE846 if you're willing to sacrifice isolation, comfort, portability, one of your kidneys, etc. But to my ears (and any objective measurements I've seen) Andromeda is, at best, a side-grade in terms of SQ and a definite downgrade in terms of isolation and comfort. It's curious that nobody ever posts here to say how they've dumped the SE846 for the Xelentos or the Legend X or the Lolas or the KSE1200, etc. :wink: Anyway, if they fit your ears and you're happy with the sound of the Andromedas, that's all that matters.

On the subject of foam tips, I wanted to thank @Tranman409 for his recommendation of the Acoustune AET16 eartips. I'd not tried them before, so pulled the trigger as soon as I saw his post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1340#post-14953520

I like them. They're very SpinFitty :) For my ears, I still slightly prefer the SpinFit Cp800 tips, because they have slightly more reach (longer stems), but the AET16 tips could be a great choice for somebody with shorter ear canals because they could allow slightly deeper insertion. I did some measurements to compare these to the Cp800 tips. I won't bore everybody else on this thread, but if anybody's interested, pm me for the piccies.

Well sound and comfort are totally subjective.

Andromeda for me is as comfortable as se846. I have big ears. Idc about isolation as i use pxc550 for travel(plane), i commute by car to work and my office is not noisy so Andro is more then sufficient.

Wrt. sound i tried all the different filters and mods on the blue filter(pushing the foam back, removing 1 foam, removing both pieces of foam, etc). I also tried all settings on the ifi bl, lower impedance higher impedance etc, I also tried it with the ES100 and eq. I've tried all the tips(i can't stand foam or comply as they muffle the sound) but I just didn't enjoy the sound whatever i tried and felt that they are not worth the money(FOR ME)

I'm not here to convince anyone, or to say which one is better in general as no one can do that. Sound is personal and subjective.

I am just describing my personal experience with both iem's. As soon as i listened to the andromedas i knew this is(could easily be) iem endgame for me. I have not felt this at all with the SE846's.

Jun 1, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #20,118 of 22,942
Well sound and comfort are totally subjective.

Andromeda for me is as comfortable as se846. I have big ears. Idc about isolation as i use pxc550 for travel(plane), i commute by car to work and my office is not noisy so Andro is more then sufficient.

Wrt. sound i tried all the different filters and mods on the blue filter(pushing the foam back, removing 1 foam, removing both pieces of foam, etc). I also tried all settings on the ifi bl, lower impedance higher impedance etc, I also tried it with the ES100 and eq. I've tried all the tips(i can't stand foam or comply as they muffle the sound) but I just didn't enjoy the sound whatever i tried and felt that they are not worth the money(FOR ME)

I'm not here to convince anyone, or to say which one is better in general as no one can do that. Sound is personal and subjective.

I am just describing my personal experience with both iem's. As soon as i listened to the andromedas i knew this is(could easily be) iem endgame for me. I have not felt this at all with the SE846's.
Fair enough - it sounds like you did a thorough comparison. I'm just curious - what were the silicone tips you tried on the SE846 and what were the silicone tips you ended up with on your Andromedas?

Jun 1, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #20,119 of 22,942
Fair enough - it sounds like you did a thorough comparison. I'm just curious - what were the silicone tips you tried on the SE846 and what were the silicone tips you ended up with on your Andromedas?

Withe the Shure's I've tried all the tips that came in the box including the triple flanged ones and the yellow foam ones. On the Andromedas i currently use a double flanged tip which came with my IE80S's

Jun 1, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #20,120 of 22,942
Withe the Shure's I've tried all the tips that came in the box including the triple flanged ones and the yellow foam ones. On the Andromedas i currently use a double flanged tip which came with my IE80S's
Thanks for the info. It's a shame Shure don't include something like SpinFit tips in the box. I don't like their triple flange tips at all (they increase the effective bore length quite a lot), and I agree with your assessment of foam tips. Try to check out the single flange spiral dots with your Andromedas.

Jun 1, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #20,121 of 22,942
Anyone out there with spare nozzle and filters they’d like to sell as I’ve lost mine.

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #20,122 of 22,942
Well, I decided to revisit the white filter and this time I think I really am onto something good. If there ever will be a mod credited to my username it would have to be this one. It incorporates pieces from all 3 filter colors. The clarity of the attenuator in the white tube, the increased bass from using the denser (use only 1) foam from the black tube, and finally the foam from the blue tube strategically placed to sculpt the EQ.

This mod needs to be precise for it to sound good. I cannot overemphasize this enough. That is why I'm including a picture of everything involved to recreate it accurately. The position of the outer foam directly affects treble and midrange (inversely proportional to each other).

The EQ adjuster is the bolt! When adjusting the nut only go 1/4 turn at a time max. Start shallow and work your way to a deeper setting until you are satisfied with the treble. If the treble starts to pierce you've gone too far and need to back up. The setup for the bolt/nut assembly and the actual pushing of the second foam to the desired depth is done with the filter installed and everything closed up. This allows small changes to be made without having to take the filter out. Where its set in the picture is what my ears are telling me sounds good but let yours ears be the judge.

Would be an awesome YouTube upload! ◕ ‿ -

Jun 2, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #20,126 of 22,942
Jun 3, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #20,127 of 22,942
@csglinux

Thanks a lot for your input.
Then i need to find someone who owns the DX220 and ideally can compare the DX220 with the DX200 bass capability.

Other suggestions for best matching DAP sources are of course also welcome.

I have the Ibasso DX200 with amp 8 (balanced 4,4 mm connection)
For IEMS I switch every few weeks between Shure 846 an Sennheiser IE800S
No sub bass roll off on both
Just sweet music and happy with my portable gear

Have not heard the Ibasso DX220 yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back