Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #19,473 of 22,945
I'm really annoyed i absolutely cannot find the little tool used to unscrew the top to change the filters...

Mine was attached to the metal tube holding the filters by a short chain, itself looking like a small metal tube, but with open ends.

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #19,474 of 22,945
Just got a second-hand pair of SE-846s in a trade. I'm a bit of a treble-head, so was initially really disappointed with them. However, after trying the 'trishd mod' I am much happier with a little bit of sparkle!

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #19,475 of 22,945
Hey guys, I am trying to find a complementary IEM to the 846s, focusing in details and soundstage if possible. I love the Shures for almost any kind of music, but I would like to try something more resolving for classical music and chorus. That's the reason why I tried the Andros, but because of the fitting, they are not an option. So in summary, do you know an IEM with very detailed sound and good fitting that can complement the 846s (I had the new Q-Jays and even if they are great in details, sometimes they are a bit bright, and the bass feels a bit weak, although this last point is not so important).

I have looked the E4XR, Grado GR10e, Heaven VI... But I am not quite sure what to choose.

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #19,476 of 22,945
Hey guys, I am trying to find a complementary IEM to the 846s, focusing in details and soundstage if possible. I love the Shures for almost any kind of music, but I would like to try something more resolving for classical music and chorus. That's the reason why I tried the Andros, but because of the fitting, they are not an option. So in summary, do you know an IEM with very detailed sound and good fitting that can complement the 846s (I had the new Q-Jays and even if they are great in details, sometimes they are a bit bright, and the bass feels a bit weak, although this last point is not so important).

I have looked the E4XR, Grado GR10e, Heaven VI... But I am not quite sure what to choose.

Please check out 64 Audio's U12t.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #19,477 of 22,945

Try to audition the Xelentos. They're awesome:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...ile-devices.22337/reviews?order=likes#reviews

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #19,479 of 22,945

Classical generally is the realm of the dynamics because of ambience,air and avoiding armature timbre which some feel is weird/less lifelike,so go for ie800s if you are looking for balance sig or Campfire Atlas for more exciting v shape,Vega+ is called over at the forum with speaker like bass and excells with chorus because of impressive stage,especially depth.Have placed an order for the latter over at eglobal center 3 days ago for a reasonable price and i would suggest going for a dynamic iem since you already have a great armature one.

Aug 14, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #19,480 of 22,945
Classical generally is the realm of the dynamics because of ambience,air and avoiding armature timbre which some feel is weird/less lifelike,so go for ie800s if you are looking for balance sig or Campfire Atlas for more exciting v shape,Vega+ is called over at the forum with speaker like bass and excells with chorus because of impressive stage,especially depth.Have placed an order for the latter over at eglobal center 3 days ago for a reasonable price and i would suggest going for a dynamic iem since you already have a great armature one.

Thanks for the help!

Anyone here has listened the IMR - R1? Those look interesting too.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #19,481 of 22,945
I also agree here. Regarding U12t, Legend X or Kaiser Encore's price point, it is a concern. Based on the reviews I've red, the details these IEMs offer, are they really cannot be achieved by little bit lower priced IEMs? May be within 1000? And doesn't end with $2k or $3k IEM only, also need to get $700++ cable and a $3k DAP or a $1k DAC/AMP...

If really no options, then I suppose it's time to save money because this journey to peruse details is getting addictive on me...

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #19,482 of 22,945
So I finally took the plunge and took the foam bits (2 on each filter) of the blue filter....
Wow....
You were right guys, what a difference!!! The best of two worlds (white and blue filter). I don’t understand how shure isn’t shipping these earphones with the blue filtars without the foams...
I am a really happy se846 user now.... :)
i use these with a chord mojo and iphone 6s plus.
Magnificent !!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #19,483 of 22,945
So I finally took the plunge and took the foam bits (2 on each filter) of the blue filter....
Wow....
You were right guys, what a difference!!! The best of two worlds (white and blue filter). I don’t understand how shure isn’t shipping these earphones with the blue filtars without the foams...
I am a really happy se846 user now.... :)
i use these with a chord mojo and iphone 6s plus.
Magnificent !!

I felt the same, retains bass but opens up top end. Glad you like, it’s like a big upgrade...... for nothing!

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #19,485 of 22,945
two questions.... one - the comply foam tip got stuck to the inner rubber part (not the nozzle - and I can't get it off..any suggestions on how to remove it? its like its glued on- I tried putting it in the freezer no luck. Does anyone know how to order replacement filters? Right now I only have the blue ones. thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back