Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #19,501 of 22,946
Gentlemen (and gentlewomen), I present to you the holy grail of tips: the Olive-Comply hybrid.

kXIaAod.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #19,502 of 22,946
Is that an Olive with a hard rubber jacket?

Sep 7, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #19,508 of 22,946
Performed the foam removal from the blue filters... but didn't have anything to get the bit nearest the damper end out. The usual recommendations have been for both to be removed, or the end foam to be push to the top, but not what I've done. @csglinux any notes on FR shifts pertaining to this?

Sep 7, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #19,509 of 22,946
Performed the foam removal from the blue filters... but didn't have anything to get the bit nearest the damper end out. The usual recommendations have been for both to be removed, or the end foam to be push to the top, but not what I've done. @csglinux any notes on FR shifts pertaining to this?
Not quite sure what you've done there buddy. The blue filters used to come with only one piece of foam; later versions came with two. But in either case, I believe the factory stock condition is for the foam (or both foams) to sit at the nozzle end (NE) of the filter tube:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1209#post-13714040

Was that not the case with your blue filter? (BTW, you don't want to remove the damper at the filter (FE) end of the nozzle!)
The typical "modded blue" filter just involves removing all the foam (careful use of a pin will work - I know you can do it!). After lots of back and forth, I settled on the "trishd" mod, which involves shoving any and all bits of foam down to the filter end (labeled FE in the above post), because this distributes more of the energy from the mid-range into the treble and shifts the resonance peak north. (There are FR graphs I posted in @Jamnperry's filter mod thread to show the effect.)

Sep 7, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #19,510 of 22,946
Not quite sure what you've done there buddy.

xd.gif

I removed the foam from the nozzle end. From what I could see/tell there was only a single piece, so could be I have the older filters. I'd assumed there was another piece of foam up the tube nearest the filter end, just before/underneath the damper, but sounds like I've remembered incorrectly.

Sep 7, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #19,511 of 22,946
xd.gif

I removed the foam from the nozzle end. From what I could see/tell there was only a single piece, so could be I have the older filters. I'd assumed there was another piece of foam up the tube nearest the filter end, just before/underneath the damper, but sounds like I've remembered incorrectly.
You need pretty good eyesight to check, but there shouldn't be anything at the other end. Sounds like you've successfully created a modded blue filter! :beerchug:

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #19,513 of 22,946
Hi,

Some quick questions:

1 - Can you easyly replace the cable or do you have to send it to Shure's technical service to have it replaced for you?
2 - If it's easy to replace, how's the procedure? I would like to know in advance, for I wouldn't want to tear the headphones appart. :)
3 - Where can you purchase spare cables in Europe? Ideally via Amazon.

I have found these very cheap (15 euros) ones from FiiO —FiiO MMCX1s for the record— , but I'd rather have the official ones from Shure:

fiio-mmcx1s_1.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #19,514 of 22,946
Either cable is a good choice (I sometimes use Fiio's silver wire set). The main concern is getting the connector loose!

To do so, grasp the cable with both hands and work both hands' thumb and index-finger fingernails into the gap between the connector and the headphone, coming in from both sides. It will pop off with barely any effort doing it that way - no hard pulling or twisting necessary.

Terry

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #19,515 of 22,946
I recently found this cable, which I really like:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...ne-Earbuds-Such-as-Armature/32829380326.html?

Well, technically, this is an SE846 cable that comes with a free pair of earbuds :) I bought the 200 Ohm version. They're remarkably-good sounding for earbuds. Very neutral - no nasty resonance spikes.
Thanks to @moedawg140 for re-introducing me to the genre of earbuds! I'd sort of given up on earbuds once I gave up on Apple. But @moedawg140 introduced me to the Monk bud $5 buds on Massdrop, which are crazy good value for money. (These T0200 buds are more expensive, but have a flatter FR.)

The SE846 are great when you need really good isolation, but sometimes when you're doing parkour through heavy traffic or abseiling through shark-infested lagoons and you need to have be aware of your
surroundings, these are actually really great earbuds. I slightly modified the ends of these cables to make the plugs a bit thinner and to make it easier to recognize the L and R channels:

20180916_114519~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back