Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #19,441 of 22,945
Absolutely. Whilst the Elear might have more impressive technical ability, I'm seriously diggin' the Owls! Picked them up when I saw they were down to £350 from £600 and I'm just glad I didn't let them slip out of existence. They really do remind me of the 846 signature wise.

You an Owl owner (or previous owner)?

Yep! Picked one up for a great price a while ago. I really love them. About the only thing I disliked was the cable, so I replaced that fast. Went with a Venus Audio balanced cable. After the NightOwl, I stopped putting so much faith in FR graphs. I hesitated forever buying them because the FR looked like a mess. Shows what I know.

They do sound like the 846 in terms of FR, but they have a smoother, lusher sound to them where the 846 sounds more resolving and clear. Kind of like looking at the same scene illuminated first by full noon sun light and then later towards dusk. However, both of them have that rightness to the sound where by brain doesn't have to adjust when I switch to them from something else.

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #19,442 of 22,945
Today I've compared for an hour the 846s, the Andromeda and the Atlas, and I have to say that the Shures 846 are still really amazing.

For me the Andros are the best if we focus only in sound: very resolving and detailed, neutral but not boring at all, very open from left to right and probably the best highs I've never heard in any IEM.
The Atlas are worst of the three in my opinion: a bit dark for my tastes, with less presence in the mids, a bit congested from left to right (although with good depth feeling), too relaxed (even if in theory the highs extend more than in the 846s, they sound quieter). I didn't like it too much for their price.
Then the 846s (which I have for almost 4 years), yes they don't sound as detailed as the Andros, but they are close; the highs don't extend so far, but good enough to feel the details and avoid congestion, in fact I prefer the highs of the 846 for vocal music, because they don't dristract me and many times they sound a bit more... organic; they are not so open from left to right like the Andros, but they give me a bigger 3D feeling; they are more resolving than the Atlas as well; and really important, I can listen the Shures for hours (Andros are a bit agressive, and Atlast sounds boring for me).

Now, what it makes the Shures great compared with the other two is the combination of fit, seal and sound. I love the Andros, really love them, but after 20 days trying I can not use them for more than an hour, they don't dissapear in my ears like the Shures do. Isolation in the Andros is good, but in the 846s is just fantastic. Atlas is more comfortable for me than the Andros, but the sound is not my style, I miss some detail and air.

So after experiment with these guys, I will keep using the Shures 846. For now is without a doubt the best IEM I've tried considering all the factors. So returning the Andromedas, at this price I need to put a check in all the boxes and only the Shures do this.

I went through pretty much the same comparisons (minus the Atlas, they were not out at the time) between Andro, and a few other TOTL IEMs vs. SE846 and ended up with the 846 again. Yes, you read that correctly. This is my 2nd time owning these great IEMs. First time was back in 2013-14. I sold them due to lack of use and a hiatus from the hobby overall.

My decision was based on :
1. Fit, comfort. I haven't found another pair that I could fall asleep with them on.
2. Known and proven build quality and track record
3. The sound quality was still excellent in comparison to current TOTL IEMs. They also take EQ well.
4. 846 are great band monitors. I haven't found a pair I like better when I am on drums. Female vocals don't scream into your ears. True that male vocals might need a couple dB on the high end but it's not always the case.
5. For $500 used this 2nd round of ownership, it was a no brainer decision for me. I did not have a single reason to go for any other IEMs.

Shure IEMs have always been very popular in the pro audio community, I have had 215, 535 before 846. Believing the 535 are better than 846 mainly because of some technicality measurements, IMO, is just pure ignorance. It's like I can always say my wife's Toyota Prius measurements are better than an Evo in all aspects, except for speed/acceleration (cheaper, better gas mileage, greener...etc...)
Ask yourself why people still listen to vinyl and pay top $$$$ for a vinyl system and why tube amps are still the holy grail for many audiophiles. For sure, the reasons are not because these measure technically better. Audio has always been and will be a very subjective hobby so let's stop throwing measurements around as the only basis to judge a product, even though measurements could surely be a necessary deciding factor to be considered. It's kind of funny to start seeing just about everybody could hear "the difference" after seeing frequency response charts and distortion measurements. Please be honest with yourself and no, you don't need to be able to hear measurements to be an audiophile or enjoy your music.

Also, I recently purchased the Focal Clear. I chose the Clear over Utopia. Once again, technicality, Utopia surely measure better but just did not sound right to my ears and preference.

For anyone considering buying the 846, I would recommend them without any hesitation. However, I would not buy them at the full retail price. Go the used route. At $450 to $500 used, these won't disappoint.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #19,443 of 22,945
For me the main difference between the SE846 and the other in-ears that I've tried these days is the capability of just enjoy the music. I don't have to bother about confort, seal or any other aspect. It's plug and play, in a few seconds they dissapear from my ear and then there is only music played reaaaaally well. Ok, maybe the SE846 is 80%-90% of the Andromeda depending of your tastes, but at the end losing that 10-20% in SQ is Ok as long as I can just enjoy my music in any situation: travelling, going to work, at gym... Only the Shures can give me that quality without sacrificing the rest of the aspects, I just want to forget that I am wearing a pair of earphones and enjoy the music, and that was impossible with the Andros. So yes, I would recommend the SE846 too. Even if they are a bit "old", they are still amazing.

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #19,444 of 22,945
These also scale very well too. Out of more substantial amplification they really shine. Eg. Going from LG V20 to Oppo HA2se < idsd nano bl < idsd Micro bl there is a distinct incremental increase in quality. I realise the 846 is easily driven out of smartphones, but the extra amping seems to provide more authority to the sound. Just a bit more solidity. Listening on the V20 I was always trying to change the eq, or tuning tips or ear tips to get the sound I was truly after. No need for that when it's coming off a higher quality chain.

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #19,445 of 22,945
For me the main difference between the SE846 and the other in-ears that I've tried these days is the capability of just enjoy the music. I don't have to bother about confort, seal or any other aspect. It's plug and play, in a few seconds they dissapear from my ear and then there is only music played reaaaaally well. Ok, maybe the SE846 is 80%-90% of the Andromeda depending of your tastes, but at the end losing that 10-20% in SQ is Ok as long as I can just enjoy my music in any situation: travelling, going to work, at gym... Only the Shures can give me that quality without sacrificing the rest of the aspects, I just want to forget that I am wearing a pair of earphones and enjoy the music, and that was impossible with the Andros. So yes, I would recommend the SE846 too. Even if they are a bit "old", they are still amazing.
What was it about the Andromedas fit that didn't appeal to you? I was tossing up between those and the Vega to complete my iem collection. Leaning toward the Vega as they will probably fit better, and the dynamic driver sound will better complement my 846.

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #19,446 of 22,945
@adrigd Nice comparisons, there. I'm tired of hearing people describe the Andros as making the 846 sound low-fi.

The 846 have a lot of similarity to my NightOwl, in that they could appear to sound dark on first listen, but after time you come to appreciate it for it's presentation. I end up using the NightOwl more than the Elear because I find it's organic-ness irresistible! That, and the whole closed-back thing...

The Andros make the SE846 sound like low-fi. Even the bass on my IE80 was better. The SE846 sounded like they should be around $250-$300 to me while the Andromeda sounds like what it costs.

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #19,447 of 22,945
The Andros make the SE846 sound like low-fi. Even the bass on my IE80 was better. The SE846 sounded like they should be around $250-$300 to me while the Andromeda sounds like what it costs.

Good for you, man. I'll send a congrats card in the post!

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #19,450 of 22,945
Maybe you can help me co-pen it, @dcfac73? I was thinking something along the lines of:

"Dear Mr Fox,

We are so happy that you have an opinion, we cannot wait to hear more of them!

Yours truly,

846 owners"

Now the address should be easy enough to work out, as I'm sure PointyFox won't provide it willingly..

Mr Fox,
No 1,
Under the Bridge
Before the grass gets greener,
Three Billy Goats Gruff

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #19,453 of 22,945
What was it about the Andromedas fit that didn't appeal to you? I was tossing up between those and the Vega to complete my iem collection. Leaning toward the Vega as they will probably fit better, and the dynamic driver sound will better complement my 846.

I thought it would be the general size or the form factor, but not, it's relatively confortable in those aspects keeping in mind that I am used to the SE846. What it totally destroys my confort with the Andromedas is the short depth of the bore and its width. The problem is that I have small ears, so even without any tips, the Andromedas almost fill my ears, so the moment I put a tip on it I feel a lot of preasure and with the time (an hour as much), it's painful and I need to adjust them again. They never dissapear from my ears. This is why the SE846 works so well for me, I always need to use the smallest size of the tips, but the bore is so thin that they don't hurt me, and in a few seconds they just dissapear.

Again Andromedas are great in the sound aspect, if Campfire fix a little bit the form factor and change the size of the bore, then I will study again the possibility of a change. Until then, SE846 is still offering the best compromise in all aspects.

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #19,454 of 22,945
I thought it would be the general size or the form factor, but not, it's relatively confortable in those aspects keeping in mind that I am used to the SE846. What it totally destroys my confort with the Andromedas is the short depth of the bore and its width. The problem is that I have small ears, so even without any tips, the Andromedas almost fill my ears, so the moment I put a tip on it I feel a lot of preasure and with the time (an hour as much), it's painful and I need to adjust them again. They never dissapear from my ears. This is why the SE846 works so well for me, I always need to use the smallest size of the tips, but the bore is so thin that they don't hurt me, and in a few seconds they just dissapear.

Again Andromedas are great in the sound aspect, if Campfire fix a little bit the form factor and change the size of the bore, then I will study again the possibility of a change. Until then, SE846 is still offering the best compromise in all aspects.
I took a listen to the Andromeda today. The fit is ok for me. The sound isn't better than the 846 enough for me to upgrade. It sounds marginally better, but it's still got the BA sound. Treble shimmer is better, but it lacks the 846 bass slam. It's not worth $1600 aud that's for sure. I'll look into hybrids for my next purchase. Bass will be warmer with a dynamic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back