Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #19,426 of 22,945
That’s why many of us use Modded Blue! That is one out of the two pieces of foam taken out the blue filter.
Thanks for the feedback.
Before doing that kind of (permanent) modification, I want to try some less “dangerous” tweaks ... :)
I have only had the se846 for one month !!
But perhaps I will end up doing the blue filter modd..

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #19,427 of 22,945
Thanks for the feedback.
Before doing that kind of (permanent) modification, I want to try some less “dangerous” tweaks ... :)
I have only had the se846 for one month !!
But perhaps I will end up doing the blue filter modd..

Not permanent, can do in a few minutes with a pin, as long as save top piece of foam in metal case. It adds extra treble but keeps firm bass. Best of blue and white!

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #19,429 of 22,945
Hum, I am feeling tempted... :)
You just remove one of the foams (I heard it has 2) ? Which one is it?

One away from basket at bottom. So ease out top foam.
Pretty sure there were two foams, but it's been a while, maybe someone can confirm?

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #19,430 of 22,945
One away from basket at bottom. So ease out top foam.
Pretty sure there were two foams, but it's been a while, maybe someone can confirm?
Early SE846 models only had one piece of foam in the blue filter. Later models had two. The "modded blue" trick usually involves removing all (both) pieces of foam, but you might prefer a half-way house. Only way to tell if you're going to like it is to try it :)

Also, consider the 'trishd' mod (shoving the foam all the way down in the filter tube). If you want to get really adventurous, you can buy separate Knowles' dampers and use them instead of the stock filters, but I actually prefer the 'trishd' mod, because it pushes the resonance peaks to higher frequencies. If you're careful, all these mods are pretty easy to do and easily reversible.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #19,431 of 22,945
Early SE846 models only had one piece of foam in the blue filter. Later models had two. The "modded blue" trick usually involves removing all (both) pieces of foam, but you might prefer a half-way house. Only way to tell if you're going to like it is to try it :)

Also, consider the 'trishd' mod (shoving the foam all the way down in the filter tube). If you want to get really adventurous, you can buy separate Knowles' dampers and use them instead of the stock filters, but I actually prefer the 'trishd' mod, because it pushes the resonance peaks to higher frequencies. If you're careful, all these mods are pretty easy to do and easily reversible.

Remember now, there is a bit of white material at bottom, near 'basket' that must not be touched, but yes, all foam.

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #19,433 of 22,945
Today I've compared for an hour the 846s, the Andromeda and the Atlas, and I have to say that the Shures 846 are still really amazing.

For me the Andros are the best if we focus only in sound: very resolving and detailed, neutral but not boring at all, very open from left to right and probably the best highs I've never heard in any IEM.
The Atlas are worst of the three in my opinion: a bit dark for my tastes, with less presence in the mids, a bit congested from left to right (although with good depth feeling), too relaxed (even if in theory the highs extend more than in the 846s, they sound quieter). I didn't like it too much for their price.
Then the 846s (which I have for almost 4 years), yes they don't sound as detailed as the Andros, but they are close; the highs don't extend so far, but good enough to feel the details and avoid congestion, in fact I prefer the highs of the 846 for vocal music, because they don't dristract me and many times they sound a bit more... organic; they are not so open from left to right like the Andros, but they give me a bigger 3D feeling; they are more resolving than the Atlas as well; and really important, I can listen the Shures for hours (Andros are a bit agressive, and Atlast sounds boring for me).

Now, what it makes the Shures great compared with the other two is the combination of fit, seal and sound. I love the Andros, really love them, but after 20 days trying I can not use them for more than an hour, they don't dissapear in my ears like the Shures do. Isolation in the Andros is good, but in the 846s is just fantastic. Atlas is more comfortable for me than the Andros, but the sound is not my style, I miss some detail and air.

So after experiment with these guys, I will keep using the Shures 846. For now is without a doubt the best IEM I've tried considering all the factors. So returning the Andromedas, at this price I need to put a check in all the boxes and only the Shures do this.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #19,434 of 22,945
@adrigd Nice comparisons, there. I'm tired of hearing people describe the Andros as making the 846 sound low-fi.

The 846 have a lot of similarity to my NightOwl, in that they could appear to sound dark on first listen, but after time you come to appreciate it for it's presentation. I end up using the NightOwl more than the Elear because I find it's organic-ness irresistible! That, and the whole closed-back thing...

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #19,435 of 22,945
Today I've compared for an hour the 846s, the Andromeda and the Atlas, and I have to say that the Shures 846 are still really amazing.

For me the Andros are the best if we focus only in sound: very resolving and detailed, neutral but not boring at all, very open from left to right and probably the best highs I've never heard in any IEM.
The Atlas are worst of the three in my opinion: a bit dark for my tastes, with less presence in the mids, a bit congested from left to right (although with good depth feeling), too relaxed (even if in theory the highs extend more than in the 846s, they sound quieter). I didn't like it too much for their price.
Then the 846s (which I have for almost 4 years), yes they don't sound as detailed as the Andros, but they are close; the highs don't extend so far, but good enough to feel the details and avoid congestion, in fact I prefer the highs of the 846 for vocal music, because they don't dristract me and many times they sound a bit more... organic; they are not so open from left to right like the Andros, but they give me a bigger 3D feeling; they are more resolving than the Atlas as well; and really important, I can listen the Shures for hours (Andros are a bit agressive, and Atlast sounds boring for me).

Now, what it makes the Shures great compared with the other two is the combination of fit, seal and sound. I love the Andros, really love them, but after 20 days trying I can not use them for more than an hour, they don't dissapear in my ears like the Shures do. Isolation in the Andros is good, but in the 846s is just fantastic. Atlas is more comfortable for me than the Andros, but the sound is not my style, I miss some detail and air.

So after experiment with these guys, I will keep using the Shures 846. For now is without a doubt the best IEM I've tried considering all the factors. So returning the Andromedas, at this price I need to put a check in all the boxes and only the Shures do this.
I pretty much agree with everything here. Atlas is a surprising choice for a flagship. (Very heavy low end and crazy 11 kHz spike.) If only those Andromedas had better ergonomics...

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #19,436 of 22,945
The 846 have a lot of similarity to my NightOwl, in that they could appear to sound dark on first listen, but after time you come to appreciate it for it's presentation. I end up using the NightOwl more than the Elear because I find it's organic-ness irresistible! That, and the whole closed-back thing...

Spot on! Great analogy and I appreciate the NightOwl love. Gone too soon...

People also tend to think that something cannot be detailed unless there is a lot of treble. I get wanting more treble, but the 846 doesn't sound lo-fi compared to anything. It's just a tuning preference, not a reflection of the earphones' ability.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #19,437 of 22,945

Thanks for the input.
The foam comes out from the thinnest part of the nozzle insert with a needle, right?

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #19,440 of 22,945
Spot on! Great analogy and I appreciate the NightOwl love. Gone too soon...

People also tend to think that something cannot be detailed unless there is a lot of treble. I get wanting more treble, but the 846 doesn't sound lo-fi compared to anything. It's just a tuning preference, not a reflection of the earphones' ability.

Absolutely. Whilst the Elear might have more impressive technical ability, I'm seriously diggin' the Owls! Picked them up when I saw they were down to £350 from £600 and I'm just glad I didn't let them slip out of existence. They really do remind me of the 846 signature wise.

You an Owl owner (or previous owner)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back