Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #19,397 of 22,945
Well i hope you are enjoying the heat. Will definitely do so if i have any questions, nice to get advice from an experienced head-fier :)

It is getting pretty warm. Thx to AC, my place is a consistent 76F.
By no mean I would consider myself experienced HFier; still learning everyday.

Btw, What DAC/Amp are you using for your 800s and SE846?

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #19,398 of 22,945
So I've been listening exclusively to my Senn HD800S for the last month and i finally gave my 846 a listen and it was incredibly disappointing to my ears :frowning2: I know it might not be a fair comparison to compare an IEM to a full size, but the 846 sounded so veiled. The soundstage being small, it sounded like the instruments were not in their right places. Now i'm not saying that it sounded bad but in comparison to my 800S it honestly sounds miles apart. I'm now pretty certain i am going to sell my 846. Maybe i have to move up a class range in IEM's now to get closer to the 800S? I really don't know what i am going to do...
I also own (and appreciate) both these headphones. It would be interesting to know what combination of eartips and filters you're using in your SE846?

Jul 28, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #19,401 of 22,945
Currently using the Medium foam tips, and the blue filters after using the white ones for a long time.
Well, those two are a good combination if you want a recipe for rolling off most content beyond about 8 kHz. There's very little to tune with the HD800s and they do have more energy at 10 kHz and beyond. Before you give up on your SE846, try the trishd filter mod and some wide-bore silicone tips:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-11#post-14224778

This will get you closer to the FR of your HD800s.

Jul 28, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #19,402 of 22,945
Well, those two are a good combination if you want a recipe for rolling off most content beyond about 8 kHz. There's very little to tune with the HD800s and they do have more energy at 10 kHz and beyond. Before you give up on your SE846, try the trishd filter mod and some wide-bore silicone tips:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-11#post-14224778

This will get you closer to the FR of your HD800s.
Thank you this looks very interesting. Would be amazing if i could get just a bit closer in sound.

Jul 28, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #19,403 of 22,945
Interesting that my 846 had some armatures faulty and breaking instrument location. Shure exchanged it for new set. I suggest to do sweep sine test to check if sound stays dead center.

Jul 29, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #19,404 of 22,945
Thank you this looks very interesting. Would be amazing if i could get just a bit closer in sound.
Also check out @Jackomik's front-vent mod at the end of that same thread. He has an ingenious way of recycling your syringes after, well, whatever.... Certainly the best attempt at a front vent mod I've seen. I haven't tried it yet, but it should further tip the FR towards the treble. You'll lose some isolation, but that might be a good thing if you're using your IEMs while jogging or biking.

Jul 29, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #19,405 of 22,945
So I've been listening exclusively to my Senn HD800S for the last month and i finally gave my 846 a listen and it was incredibly disappointing to my ears :frowning2: I know it might not be a fair comparison to compare an IEM to a full size, but the 846 sounded so veiled. The soundstage being small, it sounded like the instruments were not in their right places. Now i'm not saying that it sounded bad but in comparison to my 800S it honestly sounds miles apart. I'm now pretty certain i am going to sell my 846. Maybe i have to move up a class range in IEM's now to get closer to the 800S? I really don't know what i am going to do...
Try the Audeze iSine 20. Not a true iem, but as close to a fully open full sized can you'll get in such a small, portable form.

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #19,408 of 22,945
Would someone be considered crazy if they preferred the sound of SE535 more to the SE846?

I have the SE535, SE846 and KSE 1200 and I like all three very much. Each sounds very different from the other and there are things i appreciate about each. I have not reached for my SE 535's in a while but I switch between the 846 and the 1200 often. That is how it used to be with my 535's and 846's. If you prefer the sound of the 535's you get to save a bunch of money. Sweet!

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #19,409 of 22,945
Nope, i have the 535LTD and i find it more balanced and better mids then the 846. In fact i prefer it in several songs. Although it definitely can't match in the bass department i find.

I have the SE535, SE846 and KSE 1200 and I like all three very much. Each sounds very different from the other and there are things i appreciate about each. I have not reached for my SE 535's in a while but I switch between the 846 and the 1200 often. That is how it used to be with my 535's and 846's. If you prefer the sound of the 535's you get to save a bunch of money. Sweet!

Thank you for your confirmation of my suspicions.

When first I tried the SE846, they seemed wow, amazing. But after a while I started not liking the sound much - something was not correct for me. As you mentioned, the balance for me was off. The lows are really pronounced on the SE846.

Maybe I just got accustomed to the sound of SE535 too much since I've been using them for 3+ years almost daily. For me the SE535 somehow feel more precise and exact (it's difficult to put these feelings in words).

It's good to know that I am not alone in this, meaning, not loving the sound of SE846 immediately. Given time, I am sure, that the sound would grow on me. But for now, skipping this product.

Thanks and cheers!

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #19,410 of 22,945
Thank you for your confirmation of my suspicions.

When first I tried the SE846, they seemed wow, amazing. But after a while I started not liking the sound much - something was not correct for me. As you mentioned, the balance for me was off. The lows are really pronounced on the SE846.

Maybe I just got accustomed to the sound of SE535 too much since I've been using them for 3+ years almost daily. For me the SE535 somehow feel more precise and exact (it's difficult to put these feelings in words).

It's good to know that I am not alone in this, meaning, not loving the sound of SE846 immediately. Given time, I am sure, that the sound would grow on me. But for now, skipping this product.

Thanks and cheers!
Much of the time price isn't the deciding factor on what will appeal to you. I work in a Hi-Fi shop and everyone there is in agreement that the Focal Clear is better than the Utopia regardless of price. The ear wants, what the ear wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back