Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #19,411 of 22,946
535 has much more correct FR than 846, which colors sound a lot by exaggerating bass and muffling high frequencies. I believe 535 is the best of what Shure could do in armature based IEM for now. A lot of people like this coloring of 846, just like they like "lamp" sound for an exact same reason. Certainly, you can use digital EQ to do the same on 535. And there is no reason to believe that 846 can have a better transient response or lower harmonics (all tests actually prove it) by adding additional armature. So it's just overpriced IEM over 535 that makes sound further from original and adds more power capability into LF range for people who have an itch of spending more money on headphones.

Thank you for your confirmation of my suspicions.

When first I tried the SE846, they seemed wow, amazing. But after a while I started not liking the sound much - something was not correct for me. As you mentioned, the balance for me was off. The lows are really pronounced on the SE846.

Maybe I just got accustomed to the sound of SE535 too much since I've been using them for 3+ years almost daily. For me the SE535 somehow feel more precise and exact (it's difficult to put these feelings in words).

It's good to know that I am not alone in this, meaning, not loving the sound of SE846 immediately. Given time, I am sure, that the sound would grow on me. But for now, skipping this product.

Thanks and cheers!

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #19,412 of 22,946
535 has much more correct FR than 846, which colors sound a lot by exaggerating bass and muffling high frequencies. I believe 535 is the best of what Shure could do in armature based IEM for now. A lot of people like this coloring of 846, just like they like "lamp" sound for an exact same reason. Certainly, you can use digital EQ to do the same on 535. And there is no reason to believe that 846 can have a better transient response or lower harmonics (all tests actually prove it) by adding additional armature. So it's just overpriced IEM over 535 that makes sound further from original and adds more power capability into LF range for people who have an itch of spending more money on headphones.
Depends on which filter tip you use. Blue tips are actually quite neutral, but highs are rolled off. I see you own a pair. You've obviously tried the white filters? This gets rid of the thick dark character for me. Closer to an ie800 with better bass.
So for me, it's best with white tips and the comply or flange tips. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #19,413 of 22,946
In quite some shops around Europe are SE846 out of stock, including very big retailers like Thomann.. Something is coming maybe? :) :)

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #19,415 of 22,946
Currently using the Medium foam tips, and the blue filters after using the white ones for a long time.

For my ears and preference, foam tips + blue filters = too bassy. I have finally found a combo that works magic to the SE846 and that is Spinfit cp240-M + blue filters; much more balanced sound signature.

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #19,416 of 22,946
Depends on which filter tip you use. Blue tips are actually quite neutral, but highs are rolled off. I see you own a pair. You've obviously tried the white filters? This gets rid of the thick dark character for me. Closer to an ie800 with better bass.
So for me, it's best with white tips and the comply or flange tips. YMMV.
Hey, I'm using them. But I have to use earstudio with 0.5Ohm OI, because they are stupidly low impedance. Im certainly using white filter and I have to pull EQ of HF 10dB up and bass with 3dB down. 535 would need less corrections and money waste.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #19,417 of 22,946
The SE846 sounded muffled to me no matter what I tried. The best I could get it was with white filters and some regular silicone tips. It was still well behind the Sennheiser IE80 ($200) in terms of clarity. The bass had the same extension between the two of them. The only thing the SE846 did better was a little more soundstage. I ended up selling them to someone who loved them, so I don't think they were defective.

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #19,418 of 22,946
Let's get back to 846.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 31, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #19,420 of 22,946
In quite some shops around Europe are SE846 out of stock, including very big retailers like Thomann.. Something is coming maybe? :) :)
As far as I know, the only change is that the SE series will only be sold in a package which includes an extra Bluetooth cable. Boxes with only the normal cable are being phased out at a cheaper price (at least here in Australia).

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #19,424 of 22,946
Has anyone tried to equalize the sound of the se846 to “correct” the treble issue with the blue filter?
If yes, what frequencies (and how much) did you tweak?
I too find that the blue filter could use a little bit more treble...

That’s why many of us use Modded Blue! That is one out of the two pieces of foam taken out the blue filter.

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #19,425 of 22,946

Users who are viewing this thread

Back