Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #18,601 of 22,945
The effect has been measured: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1090#post_12909677

The difference is a couple of decibels, unless impedance gets really high. Some people notice a 1 db change at one point in the FR, some people don't. And some people may prefer the resulting sound anyway.

I mentioned that an output impedance of 1.3 ohm would be a deal-breaker for me, because I can notice a 1db change in a fairly narrow range as I A/B in EQ and I think the 846 needs some help in that range anyway.

I don't think those are measurements. It looks like Thomas has just calculated the gain ratio and converted to dB offset in Excel or something. Still, this proves the point and saves me a ton of work at the weekend, so thanks for the link :) Thomas knows what he's doing and his numbers look right. With a 1.3 Ohm output impedance into a frequency where the SE846 was ~5 Ohm, you'd see ~2 dB dip, and at 8 Ohm, ~1.3 dB dip.

I completely agree that these deltas could be audible and, of course, a smaller output impedance would be preferable, but "deal-breaker" still sounds a bit harsh. There are very good dedicated DAPs out there that have similar specs (FiiO's excellent X7 Mark ii has a 1.2 Ohm output impedance). Perhaps it's happened, but I've never heard of a deal being broken from an iPhone showing a 6 dB dip in the SE846's mid-range. Perhaps, as you say, this is because many actually like the change(?) The impedance dip occurs before the ~9 kHz resonance peak, so it would actually help those that like V-shaped signatures. The range where I feel the SE846 needs some help is 9-10 kHz and up, and its impedance curve does (relatively) lift its upper treble with a higher O.I. source. Of course, it also adds some low-end, but plenty of people like that too. The effect of a 1.3 Ohm output impedance is still way less than you'd experience from changing filters:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-5#post-13200821

or even changing eartips:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1205#post-13617865

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #18,602 of 22,945
I don't think those are measurements. It looks like Thomas has just calculated the gain ratio and converted to dB offset in Excel or something. Still, this proves the point and saves me a ton of work at the weekend, so thanks for the link :) Thomas knows what he's doing and his numbers look right. With a 1.3 Ohm output impedance into a frequency where the SE846 was ~5 Ohm, you'd see ~2 dB dip, and at 8 Ohm, ~1.3 dB dip.

I completely agree that these deltas could be audible and, of course, a smaller output impedance would be preferable, but "deal-breaker" still sounds a bit harsh. There are very good dedicated DAPs out there that have similar specs (FiiO's excellent X7 Mark ii has a 1.2 Ohm output impedance). Perhaps it's happened, but I've never heard of a deal being broken from an iPhone showing a 6 dB dip in the SE846's mid-range. Perhaps, as you say, this is because many actually like the change(?) The impedance dip occurs before the ~9 kHz resonance peak, so it would actually help those that like V-shaped signatures. The range where I feel the SE846 needs some help is 9-10 kHz and up, and its impedance curve does (relatively) lift its upper treble with a higher O.I. source. Of course, it also adds some low-end, but plenty of people like that too. The effect of a 1.3 Ohm output impedance is still way less than you'd experience from changing filters:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-5#post-13200821

or even changing eartips:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1205#post-13617865

To be fair, when it comes to spending several hundred dollars on audio equipment, a slightly too high output impedance is enough to be a deal-breaker for me. For that sort of money, I don't want to have to deal with a less than optimal feature of any kind. That's just me.

My issue with the effect on the higher output impedance is mostly where it falls in the frequency spectrum. I could EQ that back up, but I would very much prefer not to have to do that just to get back to the bassline sound. I realize that may sound overly picky, but that output impedance means a slight dip in my enjoyment of some very expensive earphones and I just won't accept that.

And thanks for posting for tips and filters measurements. I have actually made great use of those in the past to adjust my Shures to my liking. Of course, I didn't remember that those were your work.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #18,604 of 22,945
To be fair, when it comes to spending several hundred dollars on audio equipment, a slightly too high output impedance is enough to be a deal-breaker for me. For that sort of money, I don't want to have to deal with a less than optimal feature of any kind. That's just me.

My issue with the effect on the higher output impedance is mostly where it falls in the frequency spectrum. I could EQ that back up, but I would very much prefer not to have to do that just to get back to the bassline sound. I realize that may sound overly picky, but that output impedance means a slight dip in my enjoyment of some very expensive earphones and I just won't accept that.

And thanks for posting for tips and filters measurements. I have actually made great use of those in the past to adjust my Shures to my liking. Of course, I didn't remember that those were your work.

All good points to keep in mind when future me starts looking at desktop setups to drive these. I thought the impedance mismatch mostly kicked in with relation to bass frequency damping factor, but I may be wrong.

As with all things in this world of audio it's a benefit vs cost balance that always needs to be struck. For me, the v30 with the 846s is as far as I'm going for travel use because often times I'll take nothing but a carry on for a weekend and the added bulk of and external DAP isn't worth the hassle. Personally, 1-2 dB in either direction throughout the FR isn't a big deal, especially considering the 846's aren't perfectly flat in the first place. At the end of the day, the combo sounds lovely, and I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #18,605 of 22,945
Hello -
I'm the 2nd owner of the SE846 and they are out of warranty.

Had issues w/ the left IEM dropping sound. Moving the cable would restore the sound, but not for long.

I thought it was the cable not fitting tightly, so shaved 1mm or so off the outside of the cable connector. Didn't help.

They finally I got smart. Got out a magnifying glass. Sure enough...
The cable pin receptor, down inside the IEM, is split in half. No wonder the sound is inconsistent!

I have no idea how this happened, but am getting ready to send the IEM off to Shure for out-of-warranty repair.

Their flat rate for repair of SE846 is $297 + tax.

Anybody else have your SE846 repaired by Shure?
If so, can you please share comments on your experience?

Thanks,
RCB

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #18,606 of 22,945
At the end of the day, the combo sounds lovely, and I'm happy with it.

And THAT is all that matters.

There is an article floating around that helps explain damping factor but it's by a persona non grata per Head-Fi rules. If you know who I am talking about, it is a worthy read. Essentially, higher the ratio of output impedance to headphone impedance, the lower the electrical damping. Past 1:8, it which makes bass wooly, distorted, or boomy, changes the frequency response and can lower quality throughout the range, and can lead to amp clipping in extreme cases. Of these, the only effects that I've noticed are a bit flabbier bass and slightly sucked out 3-6khz response. Not the end of the world. For me, it is the sort of thing where if I am spending hundreds on a dedicated player, then I will require a sufficiently low output impedance.

EDIT: Just clarified the language.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #18,607 of 22,945
Hello -
I'm the 2nd owner of the SE846 and they are out of warranty.

Had issues w/ the left IEM dropping sound. Moving the cable would restore the sound, but not for long.

I thought it was the cable not fitting tightly, so shaved 1mm or so off the outside of the cable connector. Didn't help.

They finally I got smart. Got out a magnifying glass. Sure enough...
The cable pin receptor, down inside the IEM, is split in half. No wonder the sound is inconsistent!

I have no idea how this happened, but am getting ready to send the IEM off to Shure for out-of-warranty repair.

Their flat rate for repair of SE846 is $297 + tax.

Anybody else have your SE846 repaired by Shure?
If so, can you please share comments on your experience?

Thanks,
RCB

I bought a new pair for £500, I got the black but I see they now also have clear.
https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3090/shure_se846_sound_isolating_earphones_headphones(clear)

Been listening to them for two weeks, and I’m convinced they’re are not counterfeit.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #18,608 of 22,945
Jan 25, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #18,609 of 22,945
Here in the US they are $900 new. Your price of 500 pounds is lower than here...a good price!
So, it still makes sense to have mine repaired by Shure.

Personally, I like the bronze color the best. Mine are clear, but the SQ is still great :)

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #18,610 of 22,945
I also procured a black version, I am also convinced that it is the real deal.

Kind regards Morten
I've had a pair of the clear 846's from e-infin for over a year and can confirm they're the real deal.

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #18,611 of 22,945
I agree with you on the bronze color those are the ones I picked up From Sweetwater.

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #18,613 of 22,945
Well, my spin fit CP240 arrived, have been using them for some hours the last days, they sound the same as the normal spin fit to my ears (fantastic), they are however more comfortable, they just disappear in the ear, can even move my jaw around without change in sound, on the normal tip the seal sometimes breaks when I do that.

All in all, 11USD well spent

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #18,614 of 22,945
Well, my spin fit CP240 arrived, have been using them for some hours the last days, they sound the same as the normal spin fit to my ears (fantastic), they are however more comfortable, they just disappear in the ear, can even move my jaw around without change in sound, on the normal tip the seal sometimes breaks when I do that.

All in all, 11USD well spent

I have the same problem with all the silicon tips .

Whenever I move my jaw or my head around, the sound changes a little bit like it is muffled or decrased in volume.

I have a large collection of silicon tips including the spinfit CP240 ,CP800 and Westone star tips, which i experienced the same problem with them.

However, the foam tips works great for me so i think the problem is the shape of my ear canal .

Now am working on getting a Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves hope it will fix this issue.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #18,615 of 22,945
Any 2.5mm balanced cable recommendations for this pairing
SE846 and Opus#3.
Effect audio cables preferred, as I have good experience with them. But other brands will be fine, though I have to look more into those before I buy.
Would like the bass to be more layered and better treble extension.
Thanks.
Price range : <500 USD if possible. Don't want to pay too much.
I went for 7N Deep Cryo OCC. It improves the mids and sounds slightly warmer. More details retrieval and deeper bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back