Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #18,586 of 22,945
Finally made an account after reading through hundreds of pages of this thread

My 846's came in last Thursday. Paired with the output of my LG v30 they are incredible and I think I've finally hit my portable end-game...

I'm coming from a pair of Oppo PM-3's that just don't isolate well enough for air travel. The difference is night and day, but I need to try the PM-3s with an external amp before I make and decisions on whether to keep them in the stable or not.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the discussion and feedback!

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #18,587 of 22,945
Jan 23, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #18,588 of 22,945
Paired with the output of my LG v30 they are incredible and I think I've finally hit my portable end-game...

Sure ya have :beyersmile:

Not to burst your bubble too much but as a LG V30 user, the SE846 have more potential than that. Not saying the V30 is incompetent in any regard, but it's just decent in the grand scheme of things.

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #18,589 of 22,945
Sure ya have :beyersmile:

Not to burst your bubble too much but as a LG V30 user, the SE846 have more potential than that. Not saying the V30 is incompetent in any regard, but it's just decent in the grand scheme of things.

I'm also usually skeptical of those words "end game". Life is a journey. You stop, you die :wink:
But I do slightly take issue with the idea that the V30 isn't good enough and the SE846 is capable of so much more. Done right (with an app that doesn't re-sample), the V30 is a very, very good, clean source. It's up there with (or close to) the best DAPs I've heard, e.g., QP1R, X7ii. TBH, I rarely pull out my Hugo 2 these days, because I really have to strain to hear the differences (of the two, the V30 has the lower noise floor). I don't deny there are improvements beyond the V30, but these are tiny compared to the improvements you can get by, for example, finding a different tuning filter (stock, modified, Knowle's dampers, etc.) that better suits your own hearing and preferences.

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #18,591 of 22,945
I'm also usually skeptical of those words "end game". Life is a journey. You stop, you die :wink:
But I do slightly take issue with the idea that the V30 isn't good enough and the SE846 is capable of so much more. Done right (with an app that doesn't re-sample), the V30 is a very, very good, clean source. It's up there with (or close to) the best DAPs I've heard, e.g., QP1R, X7ii. TBH, I rarely pull out my Hugo 2 these days, because I really have to strain to hear the differences (of the two, the V30 has the lower noise floor). I don't deny there are improvements beyond the V30, but these are tiny compared to the improvements you can get by, for example, finding a different tuning filter (stock, modified, Knowle's dampers, etc.) that better suits your own hearing and preferences.

I said "Portable" end game :). I've got a whole Hi-Fi system due for an overhaul, and an office desk that could really use a good balanced DAC/amp!

I'd agree that the v30 isn't the end all be all of DACs, but the portability for performance factor is off the charts!

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #18,593 of 22,945

Agreed, no such thing as "end game" for us audiophiles, haha.

That's interesting that you strain to hear the difference between the V30 and Hugo 2. I don't have the Hugo but do have Mojo, and it's superior to my ears. Of course not by a huge margin, but enough to get more enjoyment. I've had the X7ii too and heard a noticeable improvement. Not dogging on you though, I know we all have different ears and sensitivities.

One thing about the V30 and SE846 - we don't know the output impedance of the V30, and I doubtful it's 1 ohm or less like a lot of these excellent DACs/DAPs. Something to keep in mind.

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #18,594 of 22,945
One thing about the V30 and SE846 - we don't know the output impedance of the V30, and I doubtful it's 1 ohm or less like a lot of these excellent DACs/DAPs. Something to keep in mind.

We do know it. It's ~1.3 Ohm in all three output modes (normal device/external device and high-impedance). Just make sure you're using no other music app on your V30 but Neutron (with the correct audio hardware settings), otherwise you certainly will hear an appreciable difference with your Mojo :wink:

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #18,595 of 22,945
We do know it. It's ~1.3 Ohm in all three output modes (normal device/external device and high-impedance). Just make sure you're using no other music app on your V30 but Neutron (with the correct audio hardware settings), otherwise you certainly will hear an appreciable difference with your Mojo :wink:

Wow really? Source stating the 1.3 ohm?

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #18,597 of 22,945
At 1.3 ohm, you would be hearing a noticeable difference in FR between the v30 and something with an output impedance under 0.5 ohm. In all honestly, that would be a deal-breaker for me. As much as I respect another man's proclamation of "endgame," that borders on mismatch in my book considering the 846 has a impedance between 5 and 16 ohm.

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #18,598 of 22,945
Finally made an account after reading through hundreds of pages of this thread

My 846's came in last Thursday. Paired with the output of my LG v30 they are incredible and I think I've finally hit my portable end-game...

I'm coming from a pair of Oppo PM-3's that just don't isolate well enough for air travel. The difference is night and day, but I need to try the PM-3s with an external amp before I make and decisions on whether to keep them in the stable or not.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the discussion and feedback!

Nice!

I also have both the 846 and PM3's
Source is the Ibasso DX200 with amp3
Both headphones ran balanced. Shures on low gain, Oppo's on high.

Different sound signatures for different purposes/occasions, but both equally great!

Enjoy

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #18,599 of 22,945
At 1.3 ohm, you would be hearing a noticeable difference in FR between the v30 and something with an output impedance under 0.5 ohm. In all honestly, that would be a deal-breaker for me. As much as I respect another man's proclamation of "endgame," that borders on mismatch in my book considering the 846 has a impedance between 5 and 16 ohm.

I agree it's slightly more than you'd want for safety, given the usual rule of 8. But it's not a certainty that you would hear a difference in FR. I can't hear any significant shift in FR when switching between the V30 and the (0.025 Ohm O.I.) Hugo 2. It might be interesting to take some measurements though :) I'll take a shot at it if I get some time at the weekend...

P.S. It's worth noting there have been few (if any?) complaints about tilted FR from iPhone users on this thread. All iPhone HOs have had output impedances ~5 Ohm.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #18,600 of 22,945
I agree it's slightly more than you'd want for safety, given the usual rule of 8. But it's not a certainty that you would hear a difference in FR. I can't hear any significant shift in FR when switching between the V30 and the (0.025 Ohm O.I.) Hugo 2. It might be interesting to take some measurements though :) I'll take a shot at it if I get some time at the weekend...

P.S. It's worth noting there have been few (if any?) complaints about tilted FR from iPhone users on this thread. All iPhone HOs have had output impedances ~5 Ohm.

The effect has been measured: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1090#post_12909677

The difference is a couple of decibels, unless impedance gets really high. Some people notice a 1 db change at one point in the FR, some people don't. And some people may prefer the resulting sound anyway.

I mentioned that an output impedance of 1.3 ohm would be a deal-breaker for me, because I can notice a 1db change in a fairly narrow range as I A/B in EQ and I think the 846 needs some help in that range anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back