Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #17,161 of 22,960
  Is it worth paying 200$ on the silver cable ??

using it with se846+mojo?

i have the stock cable and am happy with it's sound

Seriously you have no idea what you're missing. I was skeptical as well, until I got to try a different cable. It's really a dramatic improvement.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #17,162 of 22,960
I have some cheapo silver (plated) cables from AliExpress.

For me, they just change the treble delivery and emphasis, relative to the bass and mid frequencies.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #17,163 of 22,960
i haves one (2.5mm balanced) :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-2M-3-5mm-MMCX-Earphone-Upgrade-Cable-for-Shure/32777666942.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.zP9ITN

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #17,164 of 22,960
Calamity!
I was reading this thread and all the impressions of the different filters and I thought I'd go ahead and try the different ones. I've had the 'phones for about a year but actually never tried anything but the pre-fitted blues since they sounded so good to me. Anyway, I got my tool and the filters and got to work. No issues getting the nozzles or the filters out - changed to the whites and started re-assembly. The left nozzle seated nicely, but not the right one. It just will not seat properly. There is no slight "click" and it doesn't stick to its position. The manual says to line up the dots on the nozzle with one indicated on the earpiece, but there are no dots. Not on the lip or on the grooves. How ever I try to get the nozzle to seat it just will not securely stay in place. Has anyone else had this issue? I am so bummed right now.

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #17,165 of 22,960
Calamity!
I was reading this thread and all the impressions of the different filters and I thought I'd go ahead and try the different ones. I've had the 'phones for about a year but actually never tried anything but the pre-fitted blues since they sounded so good to me. Anyway, I got my tool and the filters and got to work. No issues getting the nozzles or the filters out - changed to the whites and started re-assembly. The left nozzle seated nicely, but not the right one. It just will not seat properly.

Welcome!

I have some difficulty explaining how to do it with words instead of a video or something, especially not being a native English speaker. But I'll give it a try.

The metal part that you unscrew sometimes gets misaligned when you're screwing it back with the metal tool.

Just hold the 846 with the hole pointing up, drop the nozzle, use the tightening tool and just kinda wobble it a bit until it fully aligns.

If it's not right there will be a gap between the earbud and the nozzle metal base. There should be no gap. Unscrew a bit, rotate/wiggle by hand, repeat until it seats perfectly. And then use the tool to tighten it.

As for the filter tubes, you just have to push slightly and rotate until the notch aligns and it all slots in.

Its quite irritating the first times so your experience is normal, but after you change it three or four times it becomes fairly easy. Actually a good design from Shure. Quite practical.

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #17,166 of 22,960
Welcome!

I have some difficulty explaining how to do it with words instead of a video or something, especially not being a native English speaker. But I'll give it a try.

The metal part that you unscrew sometimes gets misaligned when you're screwing it back with the metal tool.

Just hold the 846 with the hole pointing up, drop the nozzle, use the tightening tool and just kinda wobble it a bit until it fully aligns.

If it's not right there will be a gap between the earbud and the nozzle metal base. There should be no gap. Unscrew a bit, rotate/wiggle by hand, repeat until it seats perfectly. And then use the tool to tool to tighten it.

As for the filter tubes, you just have to push slightly and rotate until tje notch aligns.

Its quite irritating the first times so your experience is normal, but after you change it three or four times it becomes fairly easy. Actually a good design from Shure. Quite practical.

Thanks for the tip!

After about 20 minutes (more) of aggravating fiddling and precision wiggling I got it back in place! I am never doing that again...

Thanks again! You, sir, are a hero :)

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #17,167 of 22,960
Thanks for the tip!

After about 20 minutes (more) of aggravating fiddling and precision wiggling I got it back in place! I am never doing that again...

Thanks again! You, sir, are a hero :)

Actually if you do it again and get used with the nozzle and filters rotating/wiggle/alignment it will become quite fast and simple. You'll do it all in two minutes.

As long as you're not a violent Hulk there's little margin for destructive error except perhaps a few scratches on the nozzle. Something even fun to do when not in a hurry.

Enjoy your 846, they're built to easily withstand our initial experimenting with those different sound filters/signatures. :)

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #17,168 of 22,960
  Is it worth paying 200$ on the silver cable ??

using it with se846+mojo?

i have the stock cable and am happy with it's sound

If you're happy, it is fine to stick with them.

OTOH, different cables may give you something that you like better.  You must audition them and unless you can return with no questioned asked, don't purchase any.

In the 5+ years of owning the 846 (I got mine when it was first released in 2011), I've upgraded from Ted's to DHC Silver Litz to Effect Audio's Leonidas (which I'm currently using).  Whether it is worth the changes, it is up to you.

I've used my 846 with mojo for a year and and using it with the Sony NW-WM1Z

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #17,170 of 22,960
Hi All

I'm using Shure's medium grey tips and would like to know where to get them in Europe, or compatible tips?

Check out www.curiua.com Darren. I remember seeing them at EU Amazons before.

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #17,175 of 22,960
Hello
I have a question about foam position in the tubes (blue filter).
Should the foam be aligned with the end of the tube or should it be a little bit recessed (around 1 or 2 mm) ?
I'm asking because on one side, the foam is aligned with the limit of the tube and on the other side, it's recessed (about 2mm).
Thanks for advices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back