Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #17,131 of 22,945

We can disagree over whether Apple's move was in the consumers' best interests or not, but the fact that Apple removed the analog audio jack - thereby pushing responsibility for the DAC and amp units to an external device - seems to me an unassailable fact. And no, I'm not asking phone makers to put DFR-quality DAC/amps into their phones. I would like them to, but all I'm actually asking is they include an analog audio out.  Evolution would naturally lead to improvements (i.e., Beats headphones). I can temporarily live without TOTL sound quality, should I choose to leave my external DAC/amp at home, but with the audio jack gone, that choice is gone.

I agree that you wanting to carry extra gadgets around with you leaves you in a small fraction of headfi users, which in turn is a small fraction of the global population. However, I suspect the majority - like me - would just like some simple, non-clunky way to connect their headphones. (BTW, you're clearly not aware of the mark-up on these DACs/amps. The chips in these cost nowhere near $200. Apple was able to make a profit selling a $15 DAC/amp, which includes the housing, packaging, distribution, etc. Those lower costs would naturally follow from mass production.)

That's risky advice, IMHO. Any device which is not paying its royalties to Apple is subject to getting bricked at the next iOS update. That's already happened to most such non-MFi cables, leaving the users with nothing but an exotic-looking twisty-tie.

@MickeyVee - have you tried the brown Knowles dampers in your SE846? If not, don't give up on them just yet :)

I can't disagree that losing the analog out is negative for many people, but honestly it was been little to no inconvenience for me. They provide that lightning to 3.5 mm dongle which is about 6 inches long. I keep the dongle attached to the headphones I use for phone calls and I see no difference in usability from previous generations of iPhone. For music listening, I am not listening straight out of the iPhone, analog or otherwise, so no change there.

In terms of CCK bypassing cables being risky, sure Apple may brick it when iOS 11 comes. The cable costs $11. If I have to replace it once a year, that's not much of loss for me. Others may see it differently. If you want a more permanent cable that Apple won't brick, there are cables that are made using authentic chips from the CCK. So, there are options to use the iPhone. Of course, people can also go with Android phones as an alternative, but there are compromises to make there too.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #17,132 of 22,945
I know they are recommended by Shure's website, but I'm curious if Sensaphonics is the only company making custom molds for the SE846.  I've had experience with Westone molds in the past, but have never used Sensaphonics.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #17,133 of 22,945
I know they are recommended by Shure's website, but I'm curious if Sensaphonics is the only company making custom molds for the SE846.  I've had experience with Westone molds in the past, but have never used Sensaphonics.

There are others, but in my experience, I would highly advise going with Sensaphonics for the custom sleeves.

I was at the NAMM Sensaphonics booth last week talking to a few of the staff for the first time, and Stevie Wonder walked right in front of me to talk to my first audiologist who has given me ear impressions (Ms. Tannenbaum works with Stevie and a huge list of other legends). All that I could say to him was "Wow...Stevie Wonder!" He went to the 3D AARO demo booth and walked away with a smile on his face.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #17,134 of 22,945
I need a cable for the 846s and debating between Ted's gen2 silver litz, the Norne Therium 4-wire or 8-wire, and the Silvergarde. I'm sure they're all great cables, but does anyone have any experience with more than one of those, & how they compare? I previously had a Ted gen 1 silver litz, and I was pretty happy with the sound signature.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #17,135 of 22,945
  I need a cable for the 846s and debating between Ted's gen2 silver litz, the Norne Therium 4-wire or 8-wire, and the Silvergarde. I'm sure they're all great cables, but does anyone have any experience with more than one of those, & how they compare? I previously had a Ted gen 1 silver litz, and I was pretty happy with the sound signature.

I own Ted's Ref Silver Litz, Therium 8 Wire and the Silvergarde S (pictures in my profile somewhere). Ted makes a first class cable at a great price. However...Trevor's Silvergarde S is something that needs to be experienced to believe.

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #17,136 of 22,945
Thanks kino, I saw your pictures earlier in this thread and read some of your comments in the Norne thread. Are the ergonomics of the Silvergarde ok, though? I'll mostly be using my IEMs while travelling, walking around, etc. Are they comfortable to wear? Are they microphonic? Do yours have a carbon core or cotton core?

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #17,138 of 22,945
  Thanks kino, I saw your pictures earlier in this thread and read some of your comments in the Norne thread. Are the ergonomics of the Silvergarde ok, though? I'll mostly be using my IEMs while travelling, walking around, etc. Are they comfortable to wear? Are they microphonic? Do yours have a carbon core or cotton core?

I have the carbon core and believe that I may have been one of the earliest adopter's of the cable for IEM use. It was initially created for full size HP's. There are no microponics, and I would say that the cable is as ergonomic as one would expect of four 21 awg wires twisted together. I'm kind of anal about how I handle my gear. I don't make tight loops with any of my silver cables. I typically loop them small enough to fit into the pouch they arrived it. However, I just grabbed both the Therium and the Silvergarde and wrapped each tightly around my hand for the first time since I've owned them. There was no stiffness or kinking, and I realized that I could just as easily roll them up and stuff them in a shirt or jacket pocket. As far as comfort goes, I regularly fell asleep with the Therium/846 combo still in my ears. I've only used the Silvergarde with my Andro's which I don't think are as comfortable as the 846's. I think I'm going to put the White inserts in the Shure's and attach them to the Silvergarde. I've never tried it yet, but from my experience with that cable...I might just get back some of the lost bass in the White inserts. 
I would definitely suggest waiting for the cotton core wire to become available, so that you can get the sonic improvement as well as the added ergonomics. Email Trevor. He's great at explaining what he has in the works.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #17,140 of 22,945
  I have the carbon core and believe that I may have been one of the earliest adopter's of the cable for IEM use. It was initially created for full size HP's. There are no microponics, and I would say that the cable is as ergonomic as one would expect of four 21 awg wires twisted together. I'm kind of anal about how I handle my gear. I don't make tight loops with any of my silver cables. I typically loop them small enough to fit into the pouch they arrived it. However, I just grabbed both the Therium and the Silvergarde and wrapped each tightly around my hand for the first time since I've owned them. There was no stiffness or kinking, and I realized that I could just as easily roll them up and stuff them in a shirt or jacket pocket. As far as comfort goes, I regularly fell asleep with the Therium/846 combo still in my ears. I've only used the Silvergarde with my Andro's which I don't think are as comfortable as the 846's. I think I'm going to put the White inserts in the Shure's and attach them to the Silvergarde. I've never tried it yet, but from my experience with that cable...I might just get back some of the lost bass in the White inserts. 
I would definitely suggest waiting for the cotton core wire to become available, so that you can get the sonic improvement as well as the added ergonomics. Email Trevor. He's great at explaining what he has in the works.

Hello,
I ordered a SIlvergarde S with cotton and I'm waiting to have it and test it with my SE846... I can confirm that Trevor is very helpful and nice.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #17,141 of 22,945
Hello everybody,

I now have the shure 535 with the ZX1 frm Sony and the PHA2 which gave me hours of nice music.

I would like to upgrade today and was naturally thinking SE846 but I am still hesitating
I like very much their signature but was wondering about these points:.

- The 846 are now 3 years. if you had to make the purchase now, would you do the same? Are they still one of the best? Are there any iems with a similar signature that you would consider as of today?

- The only issue when I tried them is that they are quitte big and not as comfortable as the 535. Is it a sensation that decrease after some time or is it a real issue?

- for the owner of the clear model, does the cable tun green after some time. I had a pair of clear 425 whose cables turned dirty green after few mnths.

Sorry for so many questions. I don't think I will be buying another iems before few yeas after this one :wink:

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #17,142 of 22,945
Hello everybody,

- The 846 are now 3 years. if you had to make the purchase now, would you do the same? Are they still one of the best? Are there any iems with a similar signature that you would consider as of today?

- The only issue when I tried them is that they are quitte big and not as comfortable as the 535. Is it a sensation that decrease after some time or is it a real issue?

They're still quite good, I suppose you can include them in "one of the best". But there are many more alternatives in the market now, some might be more interesting and don't cost much more.

I bought the CA Andromeda (following the hype a bit, admitted) and should receive them soon, very curious to compare them with the SE846 (which somehow aren't pleasing me 100%). I'll definitely A/B compare both a lot and at least one of them will be returned.

As for comfort, it varies from people to people. I find them comfortable in general. A bit heavy but the sounded shape isn't bad. I'm using the olive tips (medium and small, one as ear canals seem to be different).

What I find more uncomfortable/annoying about them is how stiff the cable guide is. It always takes some time to adjust them when you take them out and put them back. I'd prefer a soft cable as I don't move much when I'm wearing them (only at work>desk>sitting). I'm definitely not going to buy any other cable to replace the stock just because of that. The original price is already high enough for me to be messing around with further mods.

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #17,143 of 22,945

Hello, I just bought a pair in last december, after a lot of testing and comparisons with other IEM (like Westone, 64Audio, UM...) and after reading a lot of threads in this forum !
The fit is very important : if you feel they are uncomfortable (you should test them during a sufficient period : at least 30 minutes or one hour, and don't forget to try different tips), don't buy them.
In terms of audio quality and value, I think they are still part of the top, if you are searching for a good sub-bass extension. They are a little bit hard to drive, due to a very low impedance, and are prone to hiss.
I tested them with AK320 and 380, and Cowon : no hiss, but I got hiss with my old RSA Shadow amp.
The cable is a little bit stiff, so I ordered a Norne Audio cable, but I'm sitll waiting for it.

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #17,144 of 22,945

Thanks, do let us know what it sounds like with the 846!

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #17,145 of 22,945
Hello everybody,

I now have the shure 535 with the ZX1 frm Sony and the PHA2 which gave me hours of nice music.

I would like to upgrade today and was naturally thinking SE846 but I am still hesitating
I like very much their signature but was wondering about these points:.

- for the owner of the clear model, does the cable tun green after some time. I had a pair of clear 425 whose cables turned dirty green after few mnths.

Sorry for so many questions. I don't think I will be buying another iems before few yeas after this one :wink:

Thanks!

I lost my 846 recently and had to decide whether to buy another pair or buy something else. I auditioned the Roxanne, Layla, Empire Zeus and Shure KSE1500. I realized that a big part of the decision comes down to sound signature. Personally I really really like the sound signature of the 846. The Roxanne didn't appeal to me at all, even though a lot of people might say it's better than the 846, due to its sound signature. Layla was good but I think I preferred the sound signature of the Zeus... and I *really* really liked the KSE1500, but in the end decided that I could continue to be quite happy with the 846 and save myself some cash in the process.

To be fair it's hard to fully audition IEMs in a brief period of time at a store, so I may not have given myself enough time to appreciate the improvements from some of the other high-end IEMs when I listened to them. But what surprised me, when I would go back to the 846, is that I didn't think they sounded terrible by comparison. I could tell that a bit of the detail was missing, but I was still able to enjoy the music... so that's why I opted to re-buy them.

Ergonomics are a question of your ears. I find the 846 to be very comfortable, but I have big ears.

Regarding the cable, you absolutely have to get an aftermarket cable. You'll be blown away by how much of a difference the cable makes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back