Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #17,176 of 22,945
I'll have a few days to decide which to keep...

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #17,177 of 22,945
I'll have a few days to decide which to keep...

So, when can we expect a detailed comparison?
wink_face.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #17,179 of 22,945
So, when can we expect a detailed comparison? :wink_face:

The return window for the Shure ends in a couple of weeks, but I'll probably have a comparison soon.

Good Luck! I just kept both   :smile:

That might happen but it's not my plan. I don't use IEMs enough to justify it. I think.

Meanwhile, the post delivered my chifi orders from ages ago exactly today, so I guess we have new contenders. Maybe I'll return both shure and andro ;P

In packaging/accessories the 846 win by a huge margin. Plus the Andromeda leather case I got sucks (poorly made). I'll focus on sound next.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #17,180 of 22,945
Noble encore will be here in a couple of days

Update later today, have a side by side review tonight

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #17,183 of 22,945
Im surprised any vendor will take an iem return

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #17,184 of 22,945
  Im surprised any vendor will take an iem return

Many do. Amazon does. Hygiene is not a worse issue than with full-size headphones, to be fair. Assuming tips are swapped and the nozzles are not a biohazard (shouldn't be if the return window is short).

The one I got the Andromeda from doesn't seem to take them, but that shop uses everything they can to avoid RMA work/returns.

@beowulf have you ever considered going the ciem route?

I never wanted to spend much on IEMs since my only use case for them is at work, and not all that many hours.
Somehow I ended up with the 846, and now the Andromeda, plus have a XBA-Z5 on order too. Must have been bitten by something.

Never considered CIEMs due to cost and mostly because comfort and isolation are not a problem with the IEMs I've tried. Excluding comfort and isolation, I didn't see any special reason to go CIEM.

The Andromeda are quite different from the SE846 in some ways, so it's not such an easy choice. The weakness of the SE846 (early treble roll-off) is a plus on the Andromeda, but the smoothness and body of the SE846 make certain albums (ex: Cowboy Junkies/Sweet Jane) sound more pleasant, without harshness or sibilant sparks. The Andromeda are also harder to pair with sources... I'm somewhat annoyed that the laptop I'm using sounds OK-ish with the 846 but terrible on the Andro.

One area that is not subjective at all and where the SE846 totally trashes the Andromeda (ignoring cost, but even more if you consider the cost) is the overall packaging/accessories/presentation. Of course, the sound is what matters, but in these price ranges I like to consider every detail, including little things like included tips, carrying cases, etc.

I anticipated that the Andromeda would make me repack the SE846 for return almost immediately, but that didn't happen. They're showing strengths in different ways.
But I'm going to pick one, given time. Having these two models doesn't make sense for a guy like me that uses full-size cans instead at every opportunity.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #17,185 of 22,945
Well just received noble encore.
Now i have the stock cable with encore which looks a bit thin to my liking and have DHC silver type 4 OCC litz 8 braid on order from black friday as well, of course I'm still waiting. So big caveat when testing a/b between 846 using DHC fusion copper silver 8 braid, all via Hugo fed by iPhone 7 plus 256 gig so 48 fr 16 bit. Well boys and girls, fit for sure goes to 846, the encore fits well enough but that noble look does protrude a touch.
Now the sound, edge absolutely goes to encore. encore bass is solid full texture, a bit of a wall. What the 846 does is separate that sub bass a bit better, i think that is 846 only real advantage, but overall impact of the bass goes to encore. Now you would think that it would muddy up the middle, nope not a chance. As fast as it comes it goes. The mids is where the magic happens and it always does. The separation dynamic allows the notes to float freely  with a little less of that 846 artificial tone, the 846 comes off neutral, the encore comes off euphonically real with a bit more dimension to it. just a bit more expansive soundstage. The highs well they are not sibilant so they are doing the range justice, there is no veil. But I don't know whats going on in those upper frequencies anyways, things just sound a bit more correct timber and dynamic with encore.
Now i don't like to imply which is "better" but I'm preferring encore even with its whimpy stock cable. Im sure DHC will pop the sq even more. now its early listening maybe a dozen different tunes from assorted genres and have no plans of what to do with 846 and DHC cable, but sorry to say, its going to be relegated to back up hitter status for now. Its a few 100$ more than 846 but i recommend folks try encore out. Other than 846 and encore I have no comparisons. have never listened to any other shure product nor noble k10U or anything else from the wizard. 
846 served me well for over 3 years alas its adios.

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #17,186 of 22,945
  Well just received noble encore.
Now the sound, edge absolutely goes to encore. encore bass is solid full texture, a bit of a wall. What the 846 does is separate that sub bass a bit better, i think that is 846 only real advantage, but overall impact of the bass goes to encore. Now you would think that it would muddy up the middle, nope not a chance. As fast as it comes it goes. The mids is where the magic happens and it always does. The separation dynamic allows the notes to float freely  with a little less of that 846 artificial tone, the 846 comes off neutral, the encore comes off euphonically real with a bit more dimension to it. just a bit more expansive soundstage. The highs well they are not sibilant so they are doing the range justice, there is no veil. But I don't know whats going on in those upper frequencies anyways, things just sound a bit more correct timber and dynamic with encore.Other than 846 and encore I have no comparisons. have never listened to any other shure product nor noble k10U or anything else from the wizard.  846 served me well for over 3 years alas its adios.

Interesting. If you had the Andromeda there, I'd be happy to hear the comparison. I'm listening to SE846 vs Andromeda now and trying to choose between the two is like deciding if you're better off eating your food with a fork or a knife... it really depends on what's served to you.

I'm quite unhappy because I want only one of them, not both. If I get the Noble to replace them, probably I'd end up having to decide between those two and a spoon.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #17,188 of 22,945

Just wanted to say congrats on getting those gigantic Noble IEMs into your ear canals. That's something I wasn't able to do :frowning2:

Yea, the SE846 with Spinfit tips are just amazingly comfortable. Can wear them for hours. Some of these IEM's are so large and not sure I would be able to live with the size.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #17,190 of 22,945
  Just FYI folks, Earphone Solutions are doing a 30% off this weekend. SE846 for $699 with coupon code FLASH4.
beerchug.gif

Aaaaand bought!

Thank you so much for this. Coupon code worked perfectly. Sprung for overnight shipping ($25), so they arrive Tuesday, and no tax to boot. And in case anyone is wondering, yes, they are an authorized dealer.
Can't say I've ever ordered hifi gear at 3:30 in the morning before but there's always a first for everything 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back