Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #17,207 of 22,945

I managed to escape the Andromeda B stock sale because it was gone the next morning but the level of self control needed just couldn't be mustered up again this time around. If I don't like the shure's ill sell them on eBay. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #17,208 of 22,945
  Can some of you kindly comment which are the best DAC/amps for the 846s?

I recently bought a pair.

I´m sure this has been discussed extensively in this thread but reading 1147 pages is too much for me right now. 

A ZX2 with trrs,or a Qp1R is your best bet,better than mojo and an all in one solution,especially if you find used around $550-600 here on sale trade forums.If you plan to only have se846,no difficult to drive phones, i would give the edge to ZX2 due to battery and better built with no damn scroll wheel but QP1R sq more than make up for it although more on the analytical/technical side,less musical or you can go for the newer Sony WM1A,or wait for DX200 from ibasso,or get an hm901s if you have lots of cash to burn,or better yet a WM1Z or AK380 copper,a lotto paw gold....

The first thing to do still to upgrade sound is free and is to remove the foam from the blue filters and compare it with the trebly/bright white to see which you prefer.

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #17,209 of 22,945
I managed to escape the Andromeda B stock sale because it was gone the next morning but the level of self control needed just couldn't be mustered up again this time around. If I don't like the shure's ill sell them on eBay.

Both are great in different ways. The Andromeda surprised me and actually killed my 846, but I like both

Couldn't give away that nice high-mids/treble resolution and overall separation and air after listening to it tho...

Shure's packaging and presentation still win by a large margin however. Going to miss that too.

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #17,210 of 22,945
They're official Shure dealers. Sale ends Sunday evening (assuming they don't sell out before then) and I presume they offer returns, but I'd check with them first.

Is the 846 still good? I just recently sold my roxannes to maybe getting the andromeda but saw the 846 on sale.
Maybe get the 846 and wait for andromeda to go on sale thanksgiving.

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #17,211 of 22,945
I love mine. I have a hearing aid dryer to keep them dry and clean them frequently. I am only pairing them with an iPod classic 7th generation and they still sound great.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #17,212 of 22,945
  A ZX2 with trrs,or a Qp1R is your best bet,better than mojo and an all in one solution,especially if you find used around $550-600 here on sale trade forums.If you plan to only have se846,no difficult to drive phones, i would give the edge to ZX2 due to battery and better built with no damn scroll wheel but QP1R sq more than make up for it although more on the analytical/technical side,less musical or you can go for the newer Sony WM1A,or wait for DX200 from ibasso,or get an hm901s if you have lots of cash to burn,or better yet a WM1Z or AK380 copper,a lotto paw gold....

The first thing to do still to upgrade sound is free and is to remove the foam from the blue filters and compare it with the trebly/bright white to see which you prefer.

Thanks! Great help.

Taking the foam out of the blue filters is a reversable operation? Or is it stuck?

I´ll take your DAP suggestions into account. Any others for a DAC? I use the headphones with a tablet, a PC and a phone and don´t want to pay extra for a player.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #17,213 of 22,945
Is the 846 still good? I just recently sold my roxannes to maybe getting the andromeda but saw the 846 on sale.
Maybe get the 846 and wait for andromeda to go on sale thanksgiving.

Andromeda is very different from the 846. They are both good, but you have to pick the traits you prefer. Andromeda is also picky with sources but can trump out the 846 when both are well paired.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #17,215 of 22,945
Cant wait for these to arrive. I have been on the fence about other brands that are made outside of the USA for warranty purposes. The sale made me pull the trigger but these were not originally on my radar for the price of $1000. Hoping it will be awesome for the price I paid for it.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #17,216 of 22,945
  Thanks! Great help.

Taking the foam out of the blue filters is a reversable operation? Or is it stuck?

I´ll take your DAP suggestions into account. Any others for a DAC? I use the headphones with a tablet, a PC and a phone and don´t want to pay extra for a player.

Yes,just take the foam that sits at the edge of the nozzle out with a pin and if somehow you don't like the clearer sound just put it back in.Iems in this caregory deserve to be paired with an equally capable and detailed source.The phones will not do them justice nor the low tier players even though the sound will still be very good the detail,,dynamics the layering of instruments and overall refinement of sound cannot be achieved through phones even though advancement of phone sound quality from 2015 onwards is considerable.

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #17,218 of 22,945
1148 Pages of Discussion on this IEM alone here. Try finding any past/present IEM that has had this much interest. Yes, it is "Still" that good.
g
Good point! Love mine and the fit for me is excellent.

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #17,219 of 22,945
There are two things I miss with my Shure SE846. The first is something I suspect most IEM's struggle with and that's stereo imaging / sound staging. I'm using four different solutions on a "daily basis". And that's Sennheiser HD 800 with a Hegel HD12 DAC on my computer at home. And a combination of Shure SE846 and B&O BeoPlay H7 on my iPhone 7 Plus when I commute back and forth from work. When I go for a jog / run I use the SE846 and at work I have my older Westone UM3X. The seconds is more "spark" in the vocals.

Someone might shoot me, but I wouldn't necessary claim that the HD 800 has any better audio quality compared to the SE846. They both sound darn good, I would describe the SE846 more musical as the HD 800 tends to be little too flat. But the HD 800 is clearly better on "micro details", "vocal sparks" and it completely destroys the SE846 when it comes to stereo imaging / sound staging. When listening using the HD 800 it sounds like you have a live concert / orchestra all around you. When listening to the SE846 it feels like it's all going on inside your head.

But hey, it's no fair comparing IEM's like the SE846 to something like the HD 800. But I notice this with the BeoPlay H7 as well. There is no doubt that the BeoPlay H7, even though they might be one, if not the best sound wireless/bluetooth headsets on the market does not sound as good as the SE846. There is more noise, they are not as balanced and pretty much every aspekt of the audio, it being low, mid or highs don't come off as good as on the SE846. But again, just like the HD 800 they completely destroy the SE846 when it comes to stereo imaging / sound staging. And the BeoPlay H7 isn't matching the HD 800 by any stretch.

When it comes to stereo imaging / sound staging and "vocal sparks" I would say the SE846 gets beaten by the Westone UM3X as well. It's darn hard to make a "perfect" IEM, but the SE846 are darn close but I tend to always miss that wide stereo imaging and sound staging my HD 800 and BeoPlay H7 is offering every time I use the SE846.

And I tend to become more "lazy" over the years. I often end up with bringing the BeoPlay H7 with me instead of the SE846 simply because they are wireless. Not having to deal with that cord feels like heaven in so many occasions when you have starten to get used to not having the cable around...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back