Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #15,496 of 22,945
That's a good idea. Thank you. Will research this.

You should contact Shure. They don't repair. They send you a replacement earpiece. If you damaged the earpiece (in America) the replacement fee in $270 per earpiece when you send in your damaged earpiece. I don't know about Switzerland. You can check the website. It's not easy to find. It use to be under Service and Repair. They had a list of items you scroll through and find the earphones and your model. There also use to be a form you fill out and print off. It had a bar coded label and address to print as well. You send it to Shure with your damaged earpiece and the payment method. In the U.S. you don't have to talk to anyone. You simply print the form. Send your earpiece in and a week later your new earpiece arrives. They may or may not charge you for it (I'm sure depending on if they assume it is your fault or not and the warranty is on or expired).

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #15,497 of 22,945
Its strange when listening to a better audio experience, you don't realise what you were missing until you tried your older headphones :grimacing:

I can't stand my Parrot ZIK 2.0 anymore, eventhough I used it for the past 12mths for at least 30-40hrs a week :D

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #15,498 of 22,945
Its strange when listening to a better audio experience, you don't realise what you were missing until you tried your older headphones :grimacing:

I can't stand my Parrot ZIK 2.0 anymore, eventhough I used it for the past 12mths for at least 30-40hrs a week
biggrin.gif

Same with women :)

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #15,499 of 22,945

I can't stand my Parrot ZIK 2.0 anymore, eventhough I used it for the past 12mths for at least 30-40hrs a week
biggrin.gif

Same here too, been using the 846s and today i forgot to keep them in my bag while going to office, during my commute i remembered it but then i had my old apple earpiece in one of my bag chains, used them but i couldn't stand whatever was coming out of them, i just unplugged them and kept them back.

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #15,500 of 22,945
I used to use aftermarket cables, but I have recently returned to use of the stock cables. The aftermarket cables seem to fit more loosely, which stressed the female end of the cable connection. The stock cables fit way more tightly. I compensated for the loss of silver cable high frequency by installing the bright nozzle filters and have been happy. Even though half the female connection cracked off, I don't lose contact if I cinch the cable tightly under my jawline. I eventually will need to pay the $270 per earbud replacement fee. Stock cables only from here on.

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #15,501 of 22,945
I will also anxiously wait for Shure SE846 comparisons to Fender's new FXA7 IEM.

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #15,502 of 22,945
The Dragonfly Black is $99. Dragonfly Red $199

I just invested in the Red.  It's a nice upgrade from my (original) Dragonfly.  Uses less power and has more kick.  Will decently drive my LCD-X via MacPro.  Makes the SE846 sound really great!

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #15,503 of 22,945
I used to use aftermarket cables, but I have recently returned to use of the stock cables. The aftermarket cables seem to fit more loosely, which stressed the female end of the cable connection. The stock cables fit way more tightly. I compensated for the loss of silver cable high frequency by installing the bright nozzle filters and have been happy. Even though half the female connection cracked off, I don't lose contact if I cinch the cable tightly under my jawline. I eventually will need to pay the $270 per earbud replacement fee. Stock cables only from here on.

Sorry to hear. We never had issues with our MMCX connectors that would stress or crack the female from normal use.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 11, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #15,505 of 22,945
Has anyone had the Sensaphonics custom earmold done for their Shure 846? Is it much easier to put on? Better sealing?

I had it done. Putting it on is about the same as using one of the provided tips, in my experience. I get a better seal with the yellow foam tips than I do with the custom molds. I am currently not using my custom molds much because it makes the 846 rather bulky. When I use the custom molds, because of how far out from my ears that they protrude, wrapping the cables around my ears is not as sleek as I'd like.

Maybe I'd have liked them better if they were half sleeves like those that are available for the SE535, instead of the full sleeve they provide for the 846.

Lastly, my left ear is rather sensitive to wearing IEMs and that was the reason I got the custom molds, thinking something made to my specifications would stop the pressure exerted inside my left ear. Oddly though, the custom molds rather exasperated that problem for me instead of relieving it. The yellow foam tips are the best option for me. I don't get that fatigued left ear issue with those tips.

Here's a picture to give you an idea of the size of the molds compared to using the yellow foam tips. Keep in mind that the 846 is completely enveloped inside the mold, thus the size.

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #15,506 of 22,945
I had it done. Putting it on is about the same as using one of the provided tips, in my experience. I get a better seal with the yellow foam tips than I do with the custom molds. I am currently not using my custom molds much because it makes the 846 rather bulky. When I use the custom molds, because of how far out from my ears that they protrude, wrapping the cables around my ears is not as sleek as I'd like.

Maybe I'd have liked them better if they were half sleeves like those that are available for the SE535, instead of the full sleeve they provide for the 846.

Lastly, my left ear is rather sensitive to wearing IEMs and that was the reason I got the custom molds, thinking something made to my specifications would stop the pressure exerted inside my left ear. Oddly though, the custom molds rather exasperated that problem for me instead of relieving it. The yellow foam tips are the best option for me. I don't get that fatigued left ear issue with those tips.

Here's a picture to give you an idea of the size of the molds compared to using the yellow foam tips. Keep in mind that the 846 is completely enveloped inside the mold, thus the size.

I like the triple flange sleeves better than the custom mold.

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #15,507 of 22,945
Sorry to hear. We never had issues with our MMCX connectors that would stress or crack the female from normal use.

It wasn't your company. I seem satisfied with the stock/bright filter combo.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #15,508 of 22,945
Has anyone had the Sensaphonics custom earmold done for their Shure 846? Is it much easier to put on? Better sealing?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/review-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #15,509 of 22,945
I had the Sensaphonic's and wasn't overly thrilled with them. A hole in one of the original sleeves (which is probably more prevalent than not), the replacement was made for the wrong IEM, and the last attempt arrived completely blocked. As much as I feel that promoting good product and service is the best way to get the word out to potential customers, so is the inability for that manufacturer to produce a quality product. One mistake is forgivable. Two mistakes...well mistakes do happen. But for a manufacturer of custom IEM sleeves to ship a customer (with quality issues twice previous) a product with the sound channel completely blocked, well that's just unforgivable. My audiologist agreed, and refunded the purchase in full, including his fee for creating the molds.
Please note...that none of the above even describes the sound quality...for what that's worth.

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #15,510 of 22,945
kino lau - did Sensaphonics offer to make it right for you? I ask this because in my experience with custom products (mouthguards, the SCS, physical mold of acrylic CIEMs and 3D scanned of acrylic CIEM), I have had to get refits on all. Some took one time to fix, and others required several refits. I personally knew that everything wouldn't be absolutely perfect since these are bespoke products, so at least if the manufacturers refit them without me having to pay anything more, then it is all good to me, and I will refit until it comes out as perfect as possible for my specific wants and needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back