Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #15,511 of 22,998
@kino lau - did Sensaphonics offer to make it right for you? I ask this because in my experience with custom products (mouthguards, the SCS, physical mold of acrylic CIEMs and 3D scanned of acrylic CIEM), I have had to get refits on all. Some took one time to fix, and others required several refits. I personally knew that everything wouldn't be absolutely perfect since these are bespoke products, so at least if the manufacturers refit them without me having to pay anything more, then it is all good to me, and I will refit until it comes out as perfect as possible for my specific wants and needs.

The first time they remade the sleeve that had a small hole in it, but they shot it for the wrong IEM, and it was too small for the 846's. No big deal, mistakes happen. When I received the 'corrected" sleeve, it was the canal was completely blocked and it appeared that somebody just tried to patch something together from the original sleeve that was so thin that it hade a hole in it. The pictures below are of the original SCS's that were beautiful, albeit I wasn't really happy with the seal in the right side. Perhaps the poor seal was because the material was too thin to provide the rigidity to maintain the seal. The remaining pictures are what I received as the 3rd attempt to make a quality, usable product. Again...the right sleeve arrived completely blocked. The aesthetics simply add insult to injury. They had actually made a beautiful product originally, and apparently thin walls are somewhat common. But to ship out a finished product like that in the last pictures (completely blocked) at a cost of $200+ and after previous attempts to make the situation right...somebody in the lab, just didn't care. Not to mention three months time passing from beginning to end in these transactions. EDITED to Add Pictures

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #15,512 of 22,998
@kino lau, I understand what happened to your SCS, and in my experience with custom products, I have had major issues as well (not with the SCS, but for example my mouthguard, lots of back and forth with the manufacturer); but my main point is, regardless of what happened, did Sensaphonics offer to make it right for you?

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #15,513 of 22,998
  @kino lau, I understand what happened to your SCS, and in my experience with custom products, I have had major issues as well (not with the SCS, but for example my mouthguard, lots of back and forth with the manufacturer); but my main point is, regardless of what happened, did Sensaphonics offer to make it right for you?

I could have sent everything back Once Again, to see if we could get it right. However, that's when my overall impressions of the sound quality weighed in. It was then a cost/benefit decision, and I took the option to take the entire refund of all costs from my audiologist. I had the fortunate opportunity to have received the SCS, demo'd them with my IEM's and was given the chance to opt out of keeping them. It was the combination of sound, quality and service that ultimately made the decision that "for me" I didn't feel that the SCS was worth the price tag, or the aggravation.

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #15,514 of 22,998
@kino lau, okay cool.  Just as long as Sensaphonics gave you the chance to make things right, then everything else is opinion aside from the fit/tubing issues.

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #15,515 of 22,998

The first time they remade the sleeve that had a small hole in it, but they shot it for the wrong IEM, and it was too small for the 846's. No big deal, mistakes happen. When I received the 'corrected" sleeve, it was the canal was completely blocked and it appeared that somebody just tried to patch something together from the original sleeve that was so thin that it hade a hole in it. The pictures below are of the original SCS's that were beautiful, albeit I wasn't really happy with the seal in the right side. Perhaps the poor seal was because the material was too thin to provide the rigidity to maintain the seal. The remaining pictures are what I received as the 3rd attempt to make a quality, usable product. Again...the right sleeve arrived completely blocked. The aesthetics simply add insult to injury. They had actually made a beautiful product originally, and apparently thin walls are somewhat common. But to ship out a finished product like that in the last pictures (completely blocked) at a cost of $200+ and after previous attempts to make the situation right...somebody in the lab, just didn't care. Not to mention three months time passing from beginning to end in these transactions. EDITED to Add Pictures

this is a serious problem!
frown.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #15,516 of 22,998
Jun 13, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #15,518 of 22,998
Got some new sexy cables for the SE =)

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #15,521 of 22,998
I find the triple flange sleeves with the white filter gives the best seal and sound quality than olive stock and foam tips.

You and me both. :)

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #15,523 of 22,998
What does removingthe foam from the nozzle do to the sound?
put cotton in your ears then listen to music. Now remove cotton from your ears and listen to music.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #15,524 of 22,998
What does removingthe foam from the nozzle do to the sound?

Nothing because there isn't any foam directly from the nozzle. From the nozzle inserts, sure. Removing the foam opens up the auditory presentation, like being in the presence of a double rainbow, or making a half-court basketball shot. Seriously, though, I enjoy my modded black nozzle inserts (not blue because of the exorbitant pricing as discussed multiple times in the thread) - sound is like a veil has been lifted. Try it out for yourself to test and hear if it's awesome and preferred for your specific wants and needs. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back