Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #15,541 of 22,960
  Probably depends on the DAC difference between your Laptop and Zune. My laptop´s default output has bad quality but good quantity bass but it is overall much muddier sounding than my Walkman F which on all settings flat sounds with less but more tight and controlled bass. Also could be the case if you have some sound enhancements enabled on pc (EQ or something?). Using default filters with your Shures? 
But what is the problem? you want more bass or less bass?

What it's going on is Zune's bass roll off. Or a 10 year old hpo design.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #15,542 of 22,960
I would like the amount of bass present that I hear on my laptop. Unfortunately, there is no EQ on my Zune. I am using the stock filters on my SE846's, and prefer not to use the "warm" filters.

I dunno what to do... get a different MP3 player???

Jun 21, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #15,545 of 22,960
Does anyone has experience with the black widow copper cable from toxic cables?
http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/product/black-widow-24-occ-copper-litz-earphone-cable/

Looking for a warmer,more musical tonality as the previous silver cable is making Se846 too dry and clinical/unevolving although extremely detailed  with ZX2 which in itself is a dry sounding player.Only review i found was with HD800 but seems worth the money.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #15,546 of 22,960
just brought these dream IEM. coming from HD700 .i like to know 

1. i believe in burn in and how long this 846 require to burn in
2. i use glass and i still find rounding cable over my ear is difficult. is there any technique ?
3 whats the best ear tips by far can anybody tell me?

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #15,547 of 22,960
Hi Shahed. I have about 25 hours on mine,and have not noticed any difference. I removed the memory wire,for a better fit. As for earbuds,having tried many types, i have settled on Small silicon. It is what suits you, rather than other people. You might try quite a few buds, before you find ones you like.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #15,548 of 22,960
Help!

Just received my SE and have been enjoying it so far, but...

It has much more bass when plugged into my laptop vs my Microsoft Zune (Portable MP3 player). What's going on??

Probably depends on the DAC difference between your Laptop and Zune. My laptop´s default output has bad quality but good quantity bass but it is overall much muddier sounding than my Walkman F which on all settings flat sounds with less but more tight and controlled bass. Also could be the case if you have some sound enhancements enabled on pc (EQ or something?). Using default filters with your Shures? 
But what is the problem? you want more bass or less bass?

In the interest of curiosity, I dug up my old Zune (the original one) and charged it up. I used my iPhone 6 as transport feeding the CEntrance Skyn as my control and compared it to the Zune. I matched the volumes as much as possible and played the same MP3 file on both systems. To get to the root of the bass issue, I selected a break beats song with plenty of bass.

The Zune had no problem driving the SE846. However, it was immediately obvious there was a big difference in the sound presentation. The Zune has the mids and highs forward, which causes the bass to have to fight for attention.

In quieter portions of the song where the bass was on its own, it was easier to hear that it was bloomy and less controlled.

Since the issues I was hearing were more contributed by the DAC than anything else (as Mr Makarov predicted) I tried the EQ on the Zune. I put it on "electronic" and it created a more V shaped sound that emphasized the bass and took it out of the shadows.

In conclusion, the Zune is capable of driving the SE846 with bass. The Zune is just not a good DAP and is not what I'd pair the SE846 with.

You have a great IEM, I'd recommend getting a better DAC and amp to get the most out of it.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #15,550 of 22,960
  Awesome response, thanks. I'll have to look into the DAP's and DAC's, whatever those are lol. Thanks!

Hi there. DAP stands for Digital Audio Player, or generalized as MP3 player. DAC is Digital to Analog Converter (converts digital bits from a source like hard drive/cd etc into analog electronic signal which is used by headphones to produce sound). It may sound confusing so better see it as a "sound card or audio processor/chip" inside your DAP (mp3 player) which depending on quality and manufacturer produces sound of different quality (like bassy, or transparent,neutral etc). 
Good DAP with decent DAC for SE846 in my opinion is Sony Walkman F, another option is FiiO DAPs (X3, X5 and X7)
I hope I was of help

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #15,552 of 22,960

Hi Shahed. I have about 25 hours on mine,and have not noticed any difference. I removed the memory wire,for a better fit. As for earbuds,having tried many types, i have settled on Small silicon. It is what suits you, rather than other people. You might try quite a few buds, before you find ones you 

can u guide me how to remove memory wire. thanx in advance

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #15,553 of 22,960
   can u guide me how to remove memory wire. thanx in advance

There is a guide on here somewhere. I used a craft knife to VERY CAREFULLY!.,using the point of the blade,start at the cable end,not the earphone end.do it on a hard surface,SLOWLY cut/remove the plastic outer sheath.This will leave you with the memory wire to cut. I left about half inch at the earphone end, to support the cable. If you lived in N/E Scotland, i would do it for you.If I can do it, anyone can. Let us know how you get on.

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #15,554 of 22,960
For those SE846 owners with modded blue/black filters, there's a headfi thread started by Jamnperry that, judging by response on the thread, seems to be severely under-appreciated. I highly recommend checking this out. These Knowles dampers sound notably better than my modded blue filters:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802350/se846-filter-mod/15#post_12679050

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #15,555 of 22,960
  ... another option is FiiO DAPs (X3, X5 and X7)

I just wanted to add my $0.02's worth to this. All the above are reasonable choices on account of their low output impedances (which the SE846 needs to avoid flabby,
bloated bass). But IMHO, there's one stand-out choice for the SE846 and that's still the X5 - actually the X5ii otherwise known as the second generation X5.
The X3(ii) has a noticeable noise floor with the SE846. You'll have a hard time hearing any hiss at all with the X5ii or X7 - FiiO's done a good job
in that regard. The reason why I'd recommend the X5ii over the X7 is that the only major feature the X7 really adds is streaming (via WiFi), but
it doesn't do an awesome job in that area. There's a lot of hiss, hum, crackles and other audio nasties when streaming. Unless you have a pair
of very hard-to-drive headphones (which the SE846 are not!), you'll get better quality streaming audio from your smartphone than from the X7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back