Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #14,522 of 22,945
...Setup...

I'm using the SE846 with the Modded Blue filters / Stock cable / Chord Mojo

I've tried the Medium/Large CP800 Spinfits but the bass is lacking in contrast to the Medium Shure olives sub-bass due to the isolation

... CP800 Spinfits Bass...

It seems isolation is the key to bass/sub-bass, only when you get a good seal the bass seems lighter and less punchy

...Thoughts...

If only there was a way to get the same punchy impactful bass/sub-bass as the Shure black olives and the CP800 Spinfits highs all in one mod...

...Just wait there is a mod for that...

(Shure olive wax guard removal mod)

I'm yet to try this mod, if any of you have gone through with it please feel free to post your opinions refering to this post...

Thankyou for reading.

Jaydeb2010

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #14,524 of 22,945
  Hmmm... they've arrived.

First impressions straight out of the box. Very dark, lacking the sparkle and detail of the Etys I'm used to. I've taken the foam out of the blue filters, and it still sounds very smoothed/veiled to my ears. I'd try the white filters, but the ones that came are missing one of the acoustic inserts (the brown stuff you can see in the end). I'll have to get in touch with the vendor, hopefully I won't have to send the whole lot back.

Bass-led music is much better than through my ER-4s as you would expect. I could listen to anything through these without it getting tiring, whereas with the ER-4's I had to choose my music. On the other hand, more intricate acoustic tracks are definitely less enjoyable.

I'll give them some burn-in time, and try and get hold of the white filters. Hopefully I'll be able to tailor them to my liking.

Hi,

I moved from ER-4's as well. I had the exact same reaction. Very veiled. I moved to the white filters and haven't looked back. I did also notice a big increase in quality after a few hours of listening. Not just my head adjusting but the sound-stage opening up giving space to the music.

I'd now say mine beat the ER-4's in details / clarity with the added bonus of that lush mid and amazing lower end.

Get the whites, you'll like them.

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #14,525 of 22,945
Hi,

I moved from ER-4's as well. I had the exact same reaction. Very veiled. I moved to the white filters and haven't looked back. I did also notice a big increase in quality after a few hours of listening. Not just my head adjusting but the sound-stage opening up giving space to the music.

I'd now say mine beat the ER-4's in details / clarity with the added bonus of that lush mid and amazing lower end.

Get the whites, you'll like them.

Cheers for the reply, I'll leave them playing on my ipod overnight and see how they are in the morning. I tried the white filters without the acoustic insert and they had a fairly fatiguing sound. Hopefully the intact white filters will work out, I might even try the blue foam in the white tube and see how that sounds.

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #14,526 of 22,945
Cheers for the reply, I'll leave them playing on my ipod overnight and see how they are in the morning. I tried the white filters without the acoustic insert and they had a fairly fatiguing sound. Hopefully the intact white filters will work out, I might even try the blue foam in the white tube and see how that sounds.

Now that's exotic

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #14,529 of 22,945
...Setup...

I've tried the Medium/Large CP800 Spinfits but the bass is lacking in contrast to the Medium Shure olives sub-bass due to the isolation

It seems isolation is the key to bass/sub-bass, only when you get a good seal the bass seems lighter and less punchy

...Thoughts...

If only there was a way to get the same punchy impactful bass/sub-bass as the Shure black olives and the CP800 Spinfits highs all in one mod...

I'm yet to try this mod, if any of you have gone through with it please feel free to post your opinions refering to this post...

Thankyou for reading.

Jaydeb2010

I did remove the wax and there was a substantial (to my ears) increase in detail retrieval (using the stock blue filters; I would never want to lessen that great awesome bass). You might like it. I am yet to receive the spinfit CP800s.

However, you said "only when you get a good seal the bass seems lighter and less punchy;" did you mean the opposite ?

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #14,532 of 22,945
...Setup...

...Thoughts...

Thankyou for reading.

Jaydeb2010

Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves, can't get much better in terms of tips.

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #14,534 of 22,945
Then it was back to stock blue again.It turned out to be very easy to "unmod" them again :) Have yet to tried them though,but i hope the spinfits will get some more powerfull bass :)

I'm A new SpinFit user, and I love them, yes bass takes a hit, but clarity and the highs are finally respected! I don't care much for base so this works for me. I too have recently unmoded my blue filters and easily put the filters back inside the blue part, I feel bass has come back some and treble ia very sharp anyway (I mean clear, not sharp as in fatiguing or too sparkling)

I use dx80 to mojo,, but I like note 5 to mojo more, will soon sell dx80

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #14,535 of 22,945
  Just bumped into this comparison which is pretty detailed and will make the se846 owners feel good about themselves :)

Preferred my 846 (blue filter mod + cable upgrade) when I A/B'd against my friend's KSE.  I just don't like how KSE has to be attached to its amp, I'm thinking that's the weak spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back