Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #14,506 of 22,945
  Hi,

I'm currently on the white filters and have also tried the mod blues.
I keep reading that the whites loose some bass. Is that true?

To my ears the whites really add a lot of details and clarity whereas the blues with mod still sound a little muddy.

Could my problem be the tips I'm using?

I guess what I'm saying is that most people seem to say the blue mod adds the details and clarity of the whites but keep the bass. I'm not really hearing that at the moment.

Regards,
Simon

I liked the Whites best once trying them with my X5/E12A setup and Ref Silver Litz. Swapping back and forth between the Whites and Blue mods confirmed my preference. Since picking up the QP1R, I went with the Blue mods out of the gate and couldn't ask for better clarity. The clarity with the new DAP is beyond anything I heard with the White filters. However, now I've A/B'd the Blues vs Blue mods as well as stock vs Litz cables.

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #14,507 of 22,945
+1 on this. I'm ready to drop cash on one or the other as well. From the reviews I've read they both seem to be pretty amazing.
Anyone tried both?

Don't have Hpl cable but do have silver dragon and dhc sp type 4 litz. I find dhc to be smoother and more airy, top end extends better than Sd and having better detail retrieval. That said, I actually prefer Sd for the weightier notes. I think got to do with Sd being kind of a copper/silver hybrid cable. The only thing I don't like is the Sd can sound congested at times. You may want to try toxic silver poison or widow, which kind of having the Sd tonality and traits of dhc sp litz.

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #14,514 of 22,945
Got my spinfits today. Amazing sound and really comfortable. Only complainment is That the bass is a little bit more thinner/laid back.

I noticed that the Shure olives have less bass impact than the stock gray silicon. Did anyone notice this ? Also I had to increase the volume a notch or two to maintain the same volume level relative to stock gray silicones.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #14,515 of 22,945
I love my spinfit so much with my se846. the medium size nearly isolates everything at a low volume which is kind of scary to use in public. Also it doesn't make my ear sore after a few hours of use like the westone star tip and shure olive tips do 

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #14,516 of 22,945
I love my spinfit so much with my se846. the medium size nearly isolates everything at a low volume which is kind of scary to use in public. Also it doesn't make my ear sore after a few hours of use like the westone star tip and shure olive tips do 

I ordered them from Jaben and I'm yet to receive them here in Canada. Taking forever ! And the weird thing, Amazon.com carries these but they do not deliver to Canada :|

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #14,517 of 22,945
  Hey guys, I just received my SE846s. The packaging I got seemed a little different from what I'm seeing in some unboxing videos. The foam olive tips came in a plastic tube instead of in the zip lock bag and the plastic covering over the tube extractor tool is taped closed (rather haphazardly) with some office tape. Also, there is dust and scratches on the clear plastic Shure case and sound tube container. Is this normal? 

The box was sealed when I got it (though I supposed it could have been opened and glued shut again). The quality of the packaging is lower than what I'd expect for $1000 and I'm inclined to get an exchange if the package I got was used or tampered with.

Sound-wise, they're pretty good (coming from Sony XBA-3s, they're a big upgrade). The memory wire on the cable is really uncomfortable for me though. Any recommendations for a cheap-ish (~$100) memory-wire-less replacement cable?

The tips look non standard that Shure typically provide. Shure normally provide one of each of their tips in a zip lock bag.

Looks like it has been tampered with.

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #14,519 of 22,945
Hmmm... they've arrived.

First impressions straight out of the box. Very dark, lacking the sparkle and detail of the Etys I'm used to. I've taken the foam out of the blue filters, and it still sounds very smoothed/veiled to my ears. I'd try the white filters, but the ones that came are missing one of the acoustic inserts (the brown stuff you can see in the end). I'll have to get in touch with the vendor, hopefully I won't have to send the whole lot back.

Bass-led music is much better than through my ER-4s as you would expect. I could listen to anything through these without it getting tiring, whereas with the ER-4's I had to choose my music. On the other hand, more intricate acoustic tracks are definitely less enjoyable.

I'll give them some burn-in time, and try and get hold of the white filters. Hopefully I'll be able to tailor them to my liking.

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #14,520 of 22,945
Do Shure EABKF1-10S eartips fit on 846? 

Listing says it fits these headphones

1. E1, E3, E4, E5
  2. SCL3, SCL4, SCL5
  3. SE110, SE210, SE310, SE420, SE530
  4. SE115, SE215, SE315, SE425, SE535

But wopuld think that it would also fit 846

Users who are viewing this thread

Back